Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleep_gw

OMG, waiting for this Jackfruit is killing me !!!

sleep
12 years ago

So, I took this photo of my Bangkok Lemon Jack, way back on May 7th..

Now, 6 months later, I have this ..

This fruit is taking forever ! Seems like it's been the same size for about 2 months now.. Not really changing much at all. I check it every day, and every day it is the same..

Thoughts ?

Comments (25)

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

oh wow, must be painful waiting...
    are all the seeds spoken for? I'd be interested in raising seedlings if you have extras, let me know.

Tim

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

I know the feeling, for the first time I had fruit set on my cheirmoya that has really developed (last year it was small and fell off in summer) and I just want to pick them since they look just like the reference sketches.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Does it have any give to it ?

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

When I pick my NS1 fruits, I pick them just the way that one looks - a bit of an orange cast and some flattened out spines. Then I wait 5 or so days for it to ripen. But, they taste just as good when I ripen them on the tree. When it's fully ripe it will be softer and will have a strong jackfruit smell.

Jeff

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The fruit has zero give ... very firm and the spines are still sharp and not soft at all . In person, I don't really see any orange hue to it. Just a couple of brown spines. It's been almost exactly the same for over a month..

I am very much an amateur at this. I did however have a good lesson at Harry's where we picked a few Jacks this year. The ones we picked had a strong odor, and a definite give when squeezed.

I would hate to pick it early and for it to ripen in an incorrect and less flavorful way....

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

The fruit could definitely be picked and ripened off the tree. Buttttttt.......to be absolutely sure you get a perfectly ripe fruit, it would be best to wait until you get some on-tree ripening. The problem with that is that you check and check, each and every day...for weeks and sometimes months. Then, something happens and you get tied up for a few days and don't check. Then in your brief absense, the birds, a possum or a racoon attack your just ripening fruit and you lose a good portion or all of the fruit. Believe me.....very distressing. The solution? Do nothing in your life other than check your fruit on a daily basis. Easier said than done....LOL. Or I guess you could devise an elaborate motion sensor alarm system to prevent the local varmints from destroying your fruit.

Harry

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Sleep,

I would coat the outside with hot pepper puree. Apply twice a week with a paint brush, that should keep the animals away.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Sleep,
    I often have lots of free time and for the right price I can monitor/guard your fruit.

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am now have visions of finding a half eaten Jackfruit .

For some reason I was thinking the stinky Jack would be immune to the local fruit critters. Glad you guys pointed out the danger !

Hmnnn .... I think I will build a wire cage around it today ....

Will post pics when I'm done

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

The danger in my garden is that by the time I remember to check the jackfruit, it's overripe and is too mushy. They can ripen up pretty fast on you. I also had what appeared to be a bird attack on the overripe jack. Very important to monitor on a very regular basis.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Yes, birds are the major culprit in ripe jakfruit attacks. I haven't witnessed which species of bird is the actual attacker. Based on observations of other bird/fruit attacks in my yard, I suspect Blue Jays and/or Woodpeckers....if it matters. Once the hole is punched by the birds into the exterior and the interior is exposed, the fruit is quickly attacked by a host of voracious insects, including several species each of flies and beetles.

Harry

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info .. Much appreciated.

Since I'm on Staycation, I had a bit of time and this is what I came up with..

Hopefully it provides enough protection....

I'll try to check it as often as I can.. Don't want to miss out on the ripening window !

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Looks good....that should do the trick as far as keeping the critters and birds away. But, how do you get close enough to feel the texture of the fruit?

Harry

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I left a little flap on top that I can remove and just squeeze my hand through the opening. A little bit of a PITA, but hopefully worthwhile..

• newgen
    12 years ago

What a beauty! The one thing that I'm jealous of you southern Florida growers is that you're able to grow jackfruits successfully.

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Now THAT is a jackfruit cage! Better hope those squirrels don't have access to a torch cutter!

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, after about 7 months on my tree, The Bangkok Lemon Jack started to split. Following Harry's advice, I harvested it, and set it in an air conditioned room on 11/23.

It is already softening up, and has zero foul odor at this point.

Anytime now we'll be able to give a review :)

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Wow! You have a skyline GTR. Good choice. You've a fantastic jackfruit too I hope it will taste good.

Sam

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Jackfruit don't carry a foul odor.

Rob

• murahilin
    12 years ago

bsbullie,
    I think that might be subjective. I've heard a few people complain about the odor of ripe jackfruit. Julia Morton also describes it as "When fully ripe, the unopened jackfruit emits a strong disagreeable odor, resembling that of decayed onions, while the pulp of the opened fruit smells of pineapple and banana."

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie Morton - Jackfruit

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

murahilin - I have her book...I know what you are saying about what some say about the odor but I have never found it to be disagreeable (but as you said it is subjective as I also like durian). I do agree when fully ripe it does omit an odor but I don't find it to be of decayed onions.

Rob

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

so how the hell was the jackfruit- what id give for some jackfruit right now

• baylis
    9 years ago

My jackfruit is doing well this year, in central Florida, as long as you protect the young plant it will survive!!!

• sapote
    9 years ago

OMG I have never seen a young Jack with this many fruits hang on it. Unbelievable!! How big is the trunk at ground? Perhaps next time if I were you I will pick off all the lesser fruits and keep about 3 for full development for a better taste. Do you have a photo of how it look inside the ripe fruit? Just want to know what kind -- wet or dry variety. I like the dry kind with deep orange color than yellow.

Sapote

• dangermouse01 (coastal central FL 9B)
    9 years ago

Baylis; what area of central Florida?
    I am East coast central Florida and hoping for another mild winter or two for my young jacks.

Nice tree & fruits BTW. What type and how old is the tree?

DM

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville