Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Stringless Peach" mango . . . ever heard of it?

Posted by gonebananas 7/8 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 20:11

Plants sold in southern Florida about 50-60 years ago, judged by the size of the tree seen in the mid-1960s.

Excellent fruit. The tree I saw was the favorite of a farm family that owned it. Now destroyed unfortunately.

They also grew "Bombay Yellow," a polyembryonic mango of good quality. I saved one of those by seed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Stringless Peach" mango . . . ever heard of it?

R2E2 mangos are also called Peach Mangos. Haven't heard them called "Stringless Peach Mangos" but they are stringless. They're often used in table displays at banquets/functions because they look quite impressive.

o

Thanks. Interesting. In the late 1960s I and a friend from the grower family asked Dr. David Sturrock, then the grand old man of mangoes in Florida, if he had heard of it and he had not, but he too mentioned mangoes that were called "peach" mangoes.

o

Had as look through my photos, this is one of my young R2E2 trees.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 13:55

I had one in the 80's. I got it in a garbage pail from a guy who was having a yard sale. He roughly pulled it from the ground and sold it to me for $5 and told me it would not die.

He was right. It grew to over 25' tall and gave up the most delicious mango I ever had. They weren't large but were excellent tasting.

The new owner of the house cut it down.

The "Peach mango" is an old Florida cultivar rarely seen... I wish I had one.

o

There is one growing near Clearwater in Belleair, FL. I know the former owner and he said it tasted like a peach. It's an old tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here