Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with tropicals for FL!

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 20:22

I know my garden zone is 5, and currently is in northern MI. This post is for future reference.

Eventually I'd like to relocate to central FL and am wondering what tropicals I can grow there (and get fruit from).

The grow zone in central FL is 9a.

Below is a list (no I wouldn't start everything at the same time, it's just what I'd like to try growing):

Banana (edible)
Mango
Papaya
Guava
Pineapple
Citrus (Lemon, lime, orange, and clementine)

I am wondering if I can grow the things I listed above.

Also I know that southern states (like FL) it's not ideal to grow apples, plums etc.

However I've found low chill varieties so I'm wondering if it's possible to grow such things in central FL?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with tropicals for FL!

• Posted by boson Delray Beach,Florida (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 23:18

Hi kawaiineko_gardener,

I live in south Florida and I just wanted to comment about growing apples that you asked about. I grew apples a few years ago and I got a decent crop from both Anna and Golden Dorset. They are both low-chill varieties. So you should be able to grow apple in central Florida.

Tomas

o

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know unless you go to extreme protection measures mangoes, papayas, guavas will be out of the question. I live about 5 miles from the gulf in Cape Coral, Fl and about every 5-10 years we still get a small amount of cold damage from the cold. They will be toasted from the cold up there. Big difference between central Fl and south Florida. 2 hrs north of me in Tampa they can't grow what you want. Certain kinds of citrus will do ok. You need to move south to Port Charlotte or Ft Myers on the west coast and Palm beach south on the east coast.
I have everything you want in the ground and VERY rarely have any problem without any protection. Once you see coconut palms ( I have many) you know your fairly safe.
Best of luck to you!
Kevin

o

If you do move father south their is so many more things ( tropicals) you can grow. I have soursop, jackfruit, avacados, mangoes, all kinds of citrus and all kinds of banannas , plantains. Not to mention about 25 different species of palms.
Good luck to you!
Kevin

o

In addition to what Carl said, I think you would want to stay away from limes as well. Unless the are potted and can be moved to protection, then you can grow about anything.

You can grow some varieties of bananas in Michigan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here