Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnappi_gw

What's fruiting?

gnappi
12 years ago

What is fruiting out there? At my place the trees have mostly slowed growing but the fruiting continues.

I'm still eating, Carambola, Bananas, and Papaya. I'm waiting for some Guava, a lone Navel Orange, June plum (Ambarella) and Canistel to ripen.

The "other" Gary :-)

Comments (20)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I've got bananas, figs, yellow dragonfruit, carambola, pommelo, june plum, meyers lemons, miracle fruit and avocado. On the near horizon are satsuma mandarins, canistel, black sapote, mammee apples, papaya, monstera, and sapodilla.

Harry

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Harry - I assume you have jujubes, how close are yours ? Are your black sapotes starting to change color yet ? How are the yellow dragons ?

Rob

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

The stuff still growing are some El Bumbo cherimoya (first crop that made it this far) improved meyers are now just ripening, I'm still getting new surinam cherries (the weather has been so screwed up I am on my 3rd fruiting in the last 3 months) blood and valencia oranges as well as satsumas. My dragonfruit weren't big enough to flower yet so hopefully next year.

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hello Friends,

Right now I have some White's Cherimoyas, Satsumas, Figs, Moro Blood Oranges, Jamaican Cherries, Surinam Cherries, Guavas, Poha Berries, and Avocados.

- Jacob

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Slow here. Just nam doc mai mango and miracle fruit. Brogdon avocado is blooming for the first time. Garcinia Livingstonei(Imbe) continue to bloom all males.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Rob:

Bad assumption. While I have a couple growing, I haven't/don't do well with them. One was grafted from Thailand....the grafted portion died off and the rootstock has grown and flowers but never fruits. The other is a more recent planting from Excalibur which is not thriving. It has bloomed but never set fruit yet either. However, it is still small. The black sapotes have not changed color as of yet. The calyx(s) at the top of the fruit have begun to lift. That is the first sign of maturity. I did remove a fruit from the tree to see if it was far enough along to ripen. That was about five day ago....no sign of ripening yet. The fruits are, however, mature size. Regarding yellow dragonfruit.....they are larger than ever....but still much too small to be regarded as much more than a horticultural curiosity. The fruit flesh, what little there is of it tastes nice, but the incredibily small quantity of it is more of a tease than anything else.

Harry

• reb1136
    12 years ago

Harry how would you describe the taste of the yellow dragon fruit?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

In Texas, I'm getting ready to harvest 8 Ponkan Mandarins, and about 80 or so Kumquats. My 5 Mango trees (2 NDM, 2 Pickering, 1 Glenn) are still only flushing growth.

Ohiojay- How do you winter your mangoes in Ohio? Good luck!

• adiel
    12 years ago

I have canistel fruiting. The avocado finished. (I need a late season cultivar). The key west mamey are growing but will not be ready until August of next year. Carrie mango is flowering. All other mangos are not flowering; not even the Rosigold. Barbados cherries are ready to eat. The citrus have not flowered yet.

Adiel

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

MGB...I have a greenhouse. Heated during winter of course.

• swrancher
    12 years ago

Lots of Ice Cream and Orinoco Bananas, Tamarind, Meiwa Kumquats and soon Sapodilla.

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Currently our fruit basket has Bananas, grapefruit, chironja, avocados, starfruit, the occasional sapodilla.
    Next up - waiting for the canistel to ripen, I saw my gross tasting jackfruit has 3 fruits on it (oh joy). And I have a few pineapples in fruit.

So much rain here, I am surprised things are still alive. I think I lost my rambutan tree :-(

• gnappi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I have "too many" fruits. Looking at your replies I remembered the I have a Kumquat, Jamaican cherry, and calamondin that are being eaten regularly also.

Gary

• berto
    12 years ago

I am enjoying a bunch of fruits from the orchard. Avocado/Choquette; Sapoti/Sillas Wood; Papaya/Red Lady; Giant Yellow Brazilian Maracuja (passion fruit); Banana/Nanmwa; Brazilian Banana/Prata; Tangerine/Ponkan; Carambola; Key Lime; Orange/Pineapple; Sugar Cane; Sour Orange.
    Flowering - Rosigold Mango and Nam Doc Mai.
    Breakfast Shake Recipe - Maracuja juice with banana, avocado, papaya, orange juice, and honey. Blend everything for a few minutes and voila...good to go until lunch time!!!!!

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

My nam doc mai has green stubs which are growing, but they are still too small for me to know if they are going to be flowers or new growth.

• zands
    12 years ago

My Glenn mango is putting forth lots new growth from some top branches so I'm hoping to see inflorescence from this one. My best candidate for early panicles. But time will tell the story and I think first edible mango from my trees will be early May at best

• stuartdave
    12 years ago

I have 2 indian jujubes from excalibur- grafted 2 yrs old. They have not fruited flower sporadically and grow slowly. Literature describes them as fast growing and heavy bearing. Harry, I sympathize with you.....

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Stuartdave - how big are you trees now and how big were they when you got them ? Do you prune them at all ? Believe it or not, I have observed where the tree actually react well to a good "whacking" with the pruners.

Rob

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

The only thing that is fruiting for me right now at Ontario, Canada is Barbados Cherry. I only got a couple though. But the fruits are big and juicy. I also have a couple of citrus that is flowering and fruiting continuously. But far from a big harvest.

I now consider Whoever said Indian Jujube are faster growers a liar. I bought a grafted one this year, full sun in the summer and put in the best spot under my growth light in the winter. That thing put on a couple of new growth and lost all its old leaves. No matter which aspect I look into that tree, it's a leggy and fragile tree. Now there are flowers on and off, but never see any fruits.

• stuartdave
    12 years ago

BSBULLIE I have pruned the oldest of the 2 but the growth has not been noticeably better. They are just slow growing and scraggily not very treelike.They seem to look best when shopping for them . Once you buy them and plant them they grow but very slowly and flower from time to time but have not set fruit in the ground.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets