Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Molix OR Makok, that is the question

Posted by milque_toast So Cal (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 20:24

I'm going to drive up to LA tomorrow, and plan to stop at Mimosa to buy a Sapodilla. Called the owner, and he has available now grafted Molix and Makok about foot high in 3 gal. pots for $60. I'm going to keep the tree in a large pot, so makok, according to PIN description, is better for pot growing(compact) but Molix, according to the same source, is better tasting. What shall I do?

Experienced Sapodilla growers, please influence my choice. TONIGHT, for tomorrow it will be too late.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Molix OR Makok, that is the question

I have a Hasya that I bought in the summer. Here are acouple of pics of Makok and Molix in Santa Ana. The Molix is really productive the fruits are large.
Molix

fruiting

Makok

o
RE: Molix OR Makok, that is the question

Hmm that's a tough one. For pot culture the makok is a winner. It's very productive and can be kept at 6 feet tall indefinitely in a 15 gallon pot with pruning (according to fshs). If you don't thin out the fruit, the makok fruits are small and extremely sweet. If you thin out the fruit, they are less sweet (which for me is better), but they have many seeds (sometimes 8 seeds per fruit). Personally, I'd probably choose the makok just because it's better suited for pot culture.

If you can get one, the silas woods is reported to be a dwarf tree that produces delicious tasting fruit.

Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here