Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Increased growth and precocity through multiple rootstocks

simon_grow
12 years ago

Hey everyone, thanks to ohiojay, I've been reading up on using multiple rootstocks to greatly accelerate the growth of fruit trees. I've read many of the articles from Bernie Dizon's website but can't find any detailed information on his site regarding when, where, type of rootstock, how low/high to inarch, etc...

Bernie does post several pictures of normal trees Vs. multiple rootstock trees and the multiple rootstock trees look twice as large as the normal trees. Bernie also mentions that the trees fruit earlier and bear more fruit compared to the normal trees.

Because Mangoes grow so slow and stay relatively small here in SoCal, I decided I will grow up some seedlings and inarch them to my grafted trees. I will also grow up some Lychee seedlings next to my in-ground air layers and attempt to inarch them in 1-2 years. Lychee air layers have a notoriously shallow root system and I hope that by giving it one or more tap roots, I can overcome the slow growth caused by wind blistered leaves and poor nutrient/water uptake by the shallow roots of young air layers.

By inarching seedlings onto my Mango, Lychees and possibly other fruit trees, I hope to not only increase growth and precocity but also increase drought tolerance, decrease susceptibility to disease and perhaps prevent my trees from being blown over in strong winds.

I imagine that, especially for lychees and especially in SoCal, inarching multiple rootstocks onto air layered Lychees may greatly increase growth by allowing the tree to uptake the nutrients and water during critical times of growth. Here in SoCal, we get windy Santa Anna winds that mutilates the leaves of our lychee trees. Even when Santa Anna conditions are not present, we often have dry windy weather that dessicates the leaves of our trees. With multiple rootstocks, I hope my trees will be able to maximize growth during non windy conditions.

Simon

Comments (2)

• zands
    12 years ago

http://www.dizonexoticfruittrees.com/tech/tech04.htm

http://www.dizonexoticfruittrees.com/tech/tech04.htm

List of exotic
    fruit trees for sale (double rootstock)

{{gwi:1335227}}

DOUBLE ROOTSTOCK. About 4.5
    years ago, Dr. Rodolfo C. Undan and Bernardo
    Dizon
    planted two grafted mango trees in a not-so-favorable area at
    the Central Luzon State University. One had single rootstock while the
    other had two. Today, the one with double rootstock (right being pointed
    to by Dr. Undan) is virtually double in sized compared to the one with a
    single rootstock being pointed by Dizon at left. In another planting in a
    private farm in Bulacan, Dizon said that a four-year-old mango tree with
    double rootstock has caught up with an 8-year-old grafted tree with single
    rootstock. Dizon has been employing the double rootstock technique to
    hasten the growth of his mother trees so he could produce more budsticks
    within a shorter time. That is the same technique he had used in his
    mother plants of longkong, a special variety of lanzones from Thailand

ÃÂ

• zands
    12 years ago

The root system is the basic foundation of plants. It
    consists of a primary root used for anchorage and lateral roots with hairs that
    absorb water and nutrients; and oxygen for respiration.

Plant's growth depends solely on root development,
    which normally takes years before attaining productive or fruiting stage. This
    growth phenomenon is generally observed throughout the world especially in
    temperate countries hat have two dormant
    seasons, autumn and winter. When the roots are injured or diseased, there will
    be no growth. As the roots grow, corresponding growth shall also be observed on
    the upper portion of the plant. Therefore, if a plant has more developed root
    system, its growth will be accelerated, thus, enhance physiological maturity and
    early fruiting.
    Multiple rootstock or multi-root system is the growing of plants with two or
    more rootstocks. Fruit exporting countries like Taiwan, Thailand and Australia
    are practicing this technique.
    Mr. Rush of Balibago, of Clark Airbase, Pampanga
    revealed that his late father, a professor in the University of Michigan U.S.A.,
    had used the multiple rootstock technology in his plantations of oranges and
    apples since the early 60's.
    In the Philippines, Engr. Telesforo L. Umali and his late brother National
    Scientist Dean Dioscoro L. Umali of U.P. Los Ba�os pioneered multiple
    rootstocking. Engr. Umali regularly harvests fruits twice a year from his triple
    rootstock durian and rambutan that were planted way back in 1980 in Scout
    Borromeo, QC.

Mr. Ramon Cua, a businessman, observed in Taiwan that lychees and other fruit
    trees had double or triple rootstocks making the tree prolific. A Taiwanese
    consultant friend of Mr. Cua first introduced double and triple rootstocking of
    calamansi and passion fruit in Cavite during the early's '80s.{{gwi:1335229}}

ÃÂ

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!