Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

Thai mango varieties

Dar Sunset Zone 18
13 years ago

I noticed in another thread that Mango Kush was asking for a list of Thai variety names. I thought I might help start it. This is definitely not a complete list. And I compiled it from multiple Thai sites.

Falan (fah-lun) - "sky burst"

Maha Chanok (ma-haa chah-noke) - not a helicopter (chinook). This is named after Maha-Janaka of Buddhist Jataka tales and is pronounced Maha Chanok in Thai. Has a red blush on ripe

Nam Dok Mai (num doke my) - means "flower water" or nectar

Nam Dok Mai Si Thong (num doke my see tong) - "Gold-colored" version of above

Chok Anan (choke ah-nun) - means luck of Ananda or luck of infinity, probably someone's name

Thong Dam (tong dum) - "black gold"

Khiaw Sawoei (kiew sa-weuy) - "green eating"

Okrong (oak rohng) - I'm not sure how to translate this, but it could mean something like "chest canal"

Okrong Thong (oak rohng tong) - Golden Okrong

Okrong Phikun Thong (oak rong pee-goon tong) - Okrong that is like a "golden bakul flower"

Raed - also may be spelled rad, red, etc. it means rhinoceros

Yai Klam (yai glum) - Grandmother (Klam?)

Nang Klang Wan (nung klarn wun) - "matinee"

One site said this picture was Nam Dok Mai, another said it was Nang Klang Wan. I am not sure what it is but it's a nice picture...

Top row, left to right: Thong Dam, Nam Dok Mai

Bottom row, left to right: Nang Klang Wan, Khiaw Sawoei

Pictures were taken from various sites and are used her for the purpose of illustrating the difference in appearance of mango varieties. I tried my best to make sure the picture is of the mango variety listed.

Comments (23)

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Wow this is a fantastic list! The translations and pronunciations are very helpful too!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

great, i often wondered if okrung pikung tong was distinct, now i know it is.

in your opinion which variety is the sweetest? i tried okrung tong and i couldnt believe how sweet it was.

im pretty sure the nam doc mai we commonly grow here is the golden version.

the raed mango has an interesting protusion, ive never seen that on another mango. i see why they call it rhino, thats so neat, thanks so much.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the posting. I am assuming that you are Thai. I am very appreciative of your comments. Regarding Okrung.....possibly meaning "chest canal", that would make total sense as one of the main distinguishing characteristics of Okrung is an indentation along one side of the length of the fruit. Its sort of a cleft and could easily be described as a "canal." Your post gives me some assurance that the names that I have been using......with the exception of some minor spelling differences due to tranliteration from Thai to English, have been correct as they were originally reported to me from my source in Thailand many years ago. I do still have one mystery that is supposedly of Thai origin. One of the grafted trees that was sent back to me had a label on it which was somewhat hard to read. The best I could make it out, it was "Dian Guaw." Since the tree has fruited over the years, I have mentioned the mango by this name to various mango experts. No one has any clue what it is or means. Even my original source in Thailand was unable, years after the fact, to verify the name, the source or provide a translation. For all I know, this may be someone's name. Perhaps, it was purchased by my source years ago with the name of someone else on it who was supposed to be the purchaser of the plant. Or maybe I have it misspelled. Anyway, any insight or thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Dian Gaew sounds like a thai mango name

Gaew Yaak
    {{gwi:1335251}}

Gaew Lek
    {{gwi:1335252}}

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.simply-thai.com/Thai-Market_Fruit_Mango.htm

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Thanks for the try, Bryan.....but that mango looks nothing like the one I have. I'll post pictures when I have fruit this year.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I didnt think they were your variety, the names are too different. just wanted to reaffirm the word "Gaew" is not uncommon in Thai mango names leading me to believe it was a mango name on the label you read.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

See, I read your post too fast and missed your point......and your point seems to be well made. So maybe it isn't the name of another customer who was going to buy the plant. I am anxious to see what Musaboru has to say about it.

Harry

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry, while I'm not Thai, I am quite familiar with Thai language, especially the script more. The romanization you found seems to be too corrupt for me to figure out...sorry. I tried looking through a Thai dictionary also to no avail.

Like Mango Kush said, guaw could be a corruption of Gaew/Kaew, but I somewhat doubt this is the case since all of the Thai varieties I could find with this word Gaew (crystal) has it occuring as a first word rather than a second word. The closest term I know of is "Duang Kaew" but there's no mango named that.

Could you come up with any more variations of what this tag could have read?

Mango Kush, there is actually several cultivars named Nam Dok Mai plus another adjective after. The same is true for Okrong, there are way more than the ones I listed. And funny enough, I've only ever tasted supermarket mangoes here in California. :):)

Dar

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i started to figure that, Asian mangos tend to have a lot of seedling strains it seems. the same happens when they are planted here in the New World with manilla seedlings in Mexico being dubbed distinct names like Champagne

i can understand how it may be difficult to read English written by someone of Thai origin, their script is very different from our script and letters can be ambiguous.

• adiel
    12 years ago

Here is another Thai Mango. This is a new introduction (about a year or so) to Thailand. It is called Yai Grom:

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

in the original post there is a picture of a mango labeled
    "Yai Klam (yai glum) - Grandmother (Klam?)"

I have a feeling with various thai to english spelling translations this may be your mango

• adiel
    12 years ago

Bryan, the Yai Klam is elongated. The Yai Grom is round. Once I have a mango on the tree, I will post a picture of it. :)

Adiel

• manfrommars
    11 years ago

wow great thread about thai mangoes. really appreciate it for the information about them.been searching about thai mangoes description in english but could not find them

• yonip69
    11 years ago

gotsomerice, how's your mun kun si mango doing right now? is this variety a disease resistance, cold hardy?

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

All of them are doing fine, despite the sub-zero temp in Jan. some of them are blooming now. Although my Nam Doc Mai looking ratty, but it was quite a young plant. How are yours?

• yonip69
    11 years ago

Gotsomerice, my NDM new branches were all dried frosted so as my maha chinook 2 branches because I did not cover theme during the cold weather. I will cover them next year. I am interested to buy mun kun si mango that is why I was asking you the characteristic on this mango variety.

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

This is what Mun Kun Si looks like today.

• hosba
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm new here and found this a great forum. I live in Dubai. It's a new city and, unsurprisingly, finding the right plant info is sometimes impossible. I've been doing research about mangoes, to decide what I wanted to buy for my small garden; I only have space for one tree. I soon realized that my choices were very limited here. Everywhere I went, all they could tell me was where the mango was from. Essentially, only from Thailand, Pakistan and China. As I wanted a rather large tree to start with, I ended up buying one from Thailand. I really wanted to get Nam Doc Mai, but no one knows the varieties here! I highly doubt what I bought is Nam Doc Mai as the fruit is bigger. All my research has also been inconclusive. Can anyone tell from these photos what it is? My tree will be delivered tomorrow. I can put photos of that as well once it's home.

Thanks a lot!

Mangos · More Info

Mangos · More Info

• Tommy Nguyen
    8 years ago

what is the name of the thai mango that is not sour green, great aroma, fiberous and the fruit is long. thank you

• bangkook thailand
    8 years ago

This is a very accurate lost of Thai mango's, thanks for that. I have seen all of them on the markets and eaten most.

Now there are many new mangovariety's grown in Thailand, they were developed in Taiwan. I ate one of those (jakrapat=Yu wen) and it was great. A huge red sweet fibreless mango.

Mango's like Raed or Thong dum are old variety's but still liked by the locals. They are much cheaper then namdocmai though.

The sweetest one is namdocmai si keo, looks more green then the golden namdocmai. I still wonder why the golden is sold the most in Thailand but maybe because they all like gold.

All those new taiwanese mango's are being tested now in Thailand and some big farms allready planted them.If they are all as good as the yu-wen then i guess they will be exported soon as being huge perfect mango's in red color. So far only mahachanok is a pink/red blushed mango in thailand but that will change soon. Mahachanok doesn't even come close to the taiwanese variety's tastewise and is smaller.

• Abdulhakeem
    7 years ago

hosba. you can find many mango varieties at Lemon Tree Nursery in Fujairah and Al Ain. They will also deliver to Dubai. They have the largest selection of named varieties of mangos from all over the world including the Nam Doc Mai. They have small and large trees.

• kingkingken
    7 years ago

Dar, you said you were not sure how to translate Orkrong but suggested a loose translation would be "chest canal". This ties in with what I was told by a cheery old lady who kept repeating the word "orkrong" while pointing playfully to her cleavage.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz