Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something new with dormant paw-paw,s

Posted by persimmonbob 6b(AR) (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 20:58

I live in the Ozarks and there are plenty of wild paw-paw,s here. A couple of years i found a bunch of them by a creekbed and dug-up a few. These ones grew from exposed roots. I left some roots with the young plants and plant them a little different. I dug a hole a about 14"deep and stuck the root part straight down, fill it with decent dirt and then straightened the tree and than fill with dirt to finish. I then put a rock againts the tree to keep it straight-up. I did it with 8 tree,s and they all survive. This past spring i was able to graft sions from my exsisting paw-paw,s and were doing good till summer when drought struck and i did not water them sufficiently,but 3 grafts survived because they were under the canopy of larger plants.The failed grafts on the little tree,s show enough new growth to graft next spring.Last week i went back to the same creekbed and saw a bunch of new ones.Question,what am i going to do with so many paw-paw,s? How about a greenhouse full of mango tree,s as my next project!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something new with dormant paw-paw,s

Update us with pictures if you do decide to do a greenhouse filled with mangoes :P. Could add some citrus and avocados too :).

o
RE: something new with dormant paw-paw,s

I guess you get a lot of paw-paw's to eat when they are in season then? Unfortunately I never even heard of them back when I lived in their natural range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here