Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Humungous Hayward Cherimoya..

I NEVER would have thought they could even get as big as this tree growing up and over a garage in the SF eastbay area. A tree so big- a large part of its width is hidden from the camera by the Avocado tree. Bad late day lighting didn't help. 20 x20 ' ? I think so. Or more?

Comments (9)

• simon_grow
    10 years ago

you should check out the huge ones over at Exotica, they don't even take care of them so I'm sure they can get much bigger if they water and fertilize more regularly, thanks for sharing!
    Simon

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where's Exotica? I'm across from San Francisco..on the warmer side of the bay.

• soaht
    10 years ago

Stan,
    Exotica is way down south from you, in San Diego county. That cherimoya tree, you showed is very impressive as well. Can you see any fruits from your point of view?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohh,Thanks.
    No,couldn't make them out from the sidewalk. About when do they reach a pickable size? It was so long ago when I had mine I don't remember what time of the year they ripened.
    Whats amazing? This tree is only two blocks from the other Hayward tree I posted. And I was sure THAT tree was as big as they can get in the bay area. This is much more massive. It would fill my whole backyard by itself.

• soaht
    10 years ago

Ya, me too. I thought that other smaller one, you had posted a while back was a paw paw at first, was big, this one is ginormous compare to it. When they usually ripen and time to pick? Depends on the cultivar variety. Early riper have already ripen now, Others are later variety and ripen Jan-late May, you might even find a few stragglers around in June. I'm not sure of when to pick them. But, if I would have to guess when, about large apple size 1/2lb- 1lb?

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

The warmer side of the bay! You are just jealous of all our beautiful beautiful bone-chilling fog.

So I pulled that place up on my map. It looks like that property is pretty dense with various trees and that the cherimoya is growing in a strip of yard on the SE side of the house. I wonder if they have anything else of interest. Google street view must be dated b/c the tree is smaller. The top couple feet of branches had no leaves. Cold damage? The "private property" sign is a new addition.

That property is full of trees yet the neighbors are are growing next to nothing. It is funny how people have different interests.

• soaht
    10 years ago

Maybe the owners are of ethnic(Asians, Hispanic, etc) background? I know for sure, most Asian of older generation(my parent included), they just love to plant plants of all kind, fruit trees, veggies garden, etc. I know for sure my parents likes to plant all kinds of plants around the house, even if they were just temp tenants for a while. I know we have left many homes, with several fruit trees and other plants behind. Those house did sold rather fast too, with a nice fruit and other plant around the homes. Maybe one of you can be brave enough to ask the owners for permission to have a small visit to their backyard and admire their glorious cherimoya and other fruit trees, they might have around?.......Just a thought though, don't actually try it, since they do have a private property sign up. They must have that sign for a reason and wouldn't want to be bother by some stranger, knocking at their door, snooping in on their business. But if one of you was brave enough to ask and get access to their backyard, a picture tour would be great.

BTW, SF_Rhino/Ryan?,

Any update how your mamey saptoe seedling is doing? Has it kept growing fast and strong or did it stop/slow down like I had guess about most sapote plant's growth?

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

I've been thinking of taking another photo. It hasn't gotten much taller but it has put out a few more leaves. The leaves are quite big. So far it looks like your observation was correct. I have a smaller one that I want to repot, maybe that will cause a growth spurt.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I was in the Save Maxx market the other day- Cherimoya are holding at $9.00 a pound- and selling. None left. Interesting too,is that Dragon fruit were the SAME price.
    My neighbor has a big planting of them. I walked by yesterday and the newest segments of growth were 4' long! If you know your Epi type cacti..that's huge,lol.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz