Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
man_go_bananas

Mango Variety.... Best Choice?

Man-Go-Bananas
12 years ago

I know it's kind of an oxymoron, but is there such thing as a somewhat cold hardy mango? I am looking for one that might be a little easier to winter. Any advice or experiences? If not, are there any medium-sized trees that are particularly spectacular? I need a new tree.

Thanks again everybody, MGB

Comments (16)

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Man-Go-Bananas

Where are you located. If you are in orange county in Socal I would go with Glenn,Edward, Haden, Valencia Pride, Nam Doc Mai or Manila seedling. Glenn is my favorite,

JF

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am located in the Houston Area in southeast Texas. I have Glenn and NDM.

• squam256
    12 years ago

Bailey's Marvel is a little more 'cold hardy' than most.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks squam! Sounds like we might have a winner!

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Valencia Pride also sounds like a good one... Is it a medium-sized tree?

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

^It's actually a large fast grower.

• zands
    12 years ago

Pickering...good for pots too. Are you planting this in Houston? Or in a pot?

• swrancher
    12 years ago

If its going into the ground then I suggest you go with something that can be easily covered up and protected during hard freezes such as a Pickering.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Swrancher

I don't know if Houston's cold winters will have the same dwarfing affect on grafted mangos as they do here in Socal. MGB might be ok with a vigorous grower like the VP.

JF

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zands- I have 2 Pickering in pots, both are very bush-like. I also have a Glenn and a NDM in pots, along with a NDM in the ground. I will post pictures soon, as I might be trans-planting to the ground in spring.

jfernandez- I am definitely looking at the VP. It sounds like a great mango. Do you think it would fruit in a pot? Or does it need ground? (I am running somewhat low on protected, sunny yard space)

Thanks to all, MGB

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

^ ??? Anybody have input on the VP fruiting in a pot?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also: Ice Cream vs. Julie... which one?

• zands
    12 years ago

VP looks really beautiful when bearing its oblong shaped fruits. You get one going and you will amaze your neighbors. I don't own one but I see them where I live Broward County. It is somewhat late season so would extend your mango season. It is not bushy like your Pickerings. It wants to reach upward and is known to be a good shade tree.

My take is grow it but be prepared to need a larger pot for it with plywood reinforcement underneath if you want to wheel it inside your garage with a hand truck during freezing nights. Pickering is a slower grower. VP is faster and called vigorous by Pine Island nursery.

• zands
    12 years ago

MGB--
    My further take is you already have the easier ones to grow in pots. Your NDM and Pickering. They are slower growing and have bushy habits. So why not try the VP which is not bushy but is vigorous and upright. Here in East Coast of South Florida you can visit nurseries like Spykes and Excalibur where you will see mango trees in pots 50 gallons on up. And these are "regular" mangoes not your bushy condo varieties. If you have $500 you can buy one and get an instant mango tree planted in your yard. Any mango can be grown in a pot, it's just more of a challenge than growing in the ground (planted)

Furthermore... VP is from the Haden mango lineage and better more reliable bearing than Haden so they say. I have a Haden tree and have no complaints

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks a million Zands- do you have a Julie or Ice cream? I am also looking at those. That 50+ gallon might be a challenge to get shipped because I live in Houston ;-)

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BTW: Does anyone know if my NDM and Pickering should be flowering yet? I live in the Houston area ant the trees are fairly large and in 7 gallon pots.

Thanks

Sponsored