Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango Variety.... Best Choice?

Posted by Man-Go-Bananas Zone 9a/b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 21:36

I know it's kind of an oxymoron, but is there such thing as a somewhat cold hardy mango? I am looking for one that might be a little easier to winter. Any advice or experiences? If not, are there any medium-sized trees that are particularly spectacular? I need a new tree.

Thanks again everybody, MGB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango Variety.... Best Choice?

Man-Go-Bananas

Where are you located. If you are in orange county in Socal I would go with Glenn,Edward, Haden, Valencia Pride, Nam Doc Mai or Manila seedling. Glenn is my favorite,

JF

o

I am located in the Houston Area in southeast Texas. I have Glenn and NDM.

o

Bailey's Marvel is a little more 'cold hardy' than most.

o

Thanks squam! Sounds like we might have a winner!

o

Valencia Pride also sounds like a good one... Is it a medium-sized tree?

o

^It's actually a large fast grower.

o

Pickering...good for pots too. Are you planting this in Houston? Or in a pot?

o

If its going into the ground then I suggest you go with something that can be easily covered up and protected during hard freezes such as a Pickering.

o

Swrancher

I don't know if Houston's cold winters will have the same dwarfing affect on grafted mangos as they do here in Socal. MGB might be ok with a vigorous grower like the VP.

JF

o

Zands- I have 2 Pickering in pots, both are very bush-like. I also have a Glenn and a NDM in pots, along with a NDM in the ground. I will post pictures soon, as I might be trans-planting to the ground in spring.

jfernandez- I am definitely looking at the VP. It sounds like a great mango. Do you think it would fruit in a pot? Or does it need ground? (I am running somewhat low on protected, sunny yard space)

Thanks to all, MGB

o

^ ??? Anybody have input on the VP fruiting in a pot?

o

Also: Ice Cream vs. Julie... which one?

o

VP looks really beautiful when bearing its oblong shaped fruits. You get one going and you will amaze your neighbors. I don't own one but I see them where I live Broward County. It is somewhat late season so would extend your mango season. It is not bushy like your Pickerings. It wants to reach upward and is known to be a good shade tree.

My take is grow it but be prepared to need a larger pot for it with plywood reinforcement underneath if you want to wheel it inside your garage with a hand truck during freezing nights. Pickering is a slower grower. VP is faster and called vigorous by Pine Island nursery.

o

MGB--
My further take is you already have the easier ones to grow in pots. Your NDM and Pickering. They are slower growing and have bushy habits. So why not try the VP which is not bushy but is vigorous and upright. Here in East Coast of South Florida you can visit nurseries like Spykes and Excalibur where you will see mango trees in pots 50 gallons on up. And these are "regular" mangoes not your bushy condo varieties. If you have $500 you can buy one and get an instant mango tree planted in your yard. Any mango can be grown in a pot, it's just more of a challenge than growing in the ground (planted)

Furthermore... VP is from the Haden mango lineage and better more reliable bearing than Haden so they say. I have a Haden tree and have no complaints

o

Thanks a million Zands- do you have a Julie or Ice cream? I am also looking at those. That 50+ gallon might be a challenge to get shipped because I live in Houston ;-)

o
Flower Delay?

BTW: Does anyone know if my NDM and Pickering should be flowering yet? I live in the Houston area ant the trees are fairly large and in 7 gallon pots.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here