Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthantropical

How Indoor Glenn Mango Pollinate?

anthantropical
11 years ago

Dear Tropical Fruit Lover,

I got a Glen Mango early this year. Due to cold weather, I have to bring it indoor. Soon after two weeks being indoor, it started to have flower, and now the flowers are blooming at peak. My question is what can I do to pollinate the flower so that I can have some fruit. I am so excited about it, but realized that there is no fly in the house. Therefore, I am not sure if the my mango tree can have fruit while being indoor. I deeply appreciate any advise?

Thanks,

Tuan

Comments (11)

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Closer look!

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Samueforest for the advice. Do your mango trees fruit indoor?

Thanks

• samuelforest
    11 years ago

Yes, it does. I live in Montreal, so it is really cold. I have to bring 6 months of the year indoors. Since the sun is really weak here in winter I use artificial lighthing (HID) like metal halide lamps. I got 5 mangoes from the tree this year.

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Samuel - our north-of-the-border Award Winner!

mangodog

• theo247
    10 years ago

Tuan, did yours produce after you posted the photos?

Just ran across this thread while looking for info on pollination for my dwarf Pickering that I have indoors. Glad to hear that it's easy! What advice do you all have for supporting fruit production for an indoor mango tree? Should I do anything special other than continue fertilizing with Foliage-Pro with each watering?

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences!

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Theo,

My Glenn didn't produce any fruit last year. This year my Carrie also having lot of flowers, but I haven't seen any fruit set yet. I am not sure what am I doing wrong. It's in greenhouse, day temperature is in the 80, and night is about 60 with heater. There are lot of honey bee on the flower during day time. So I assume pollination is not a problem. However, no fruit set yet. I am sorry that I haven't successfully have mine fruit yet. Maybe some other mango expert here will help you out. Please keep me post if your will be successful. Your mango plant looks awesome. Good luck Theo.

• theo247
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply! Wow, your Carrie is beautiful! Sorry to hear that you didn't get any fruit last year from your Glenn, but I sure hope your Carrie produces this year. Looks like it is just full of flowers! I'll let you know if I get fruit on mine.

Theo

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Beautiful Mango tree anthantropical! Very Healthy, you've done a great job!

If you're seeing honey bees pollinating the blooms, I'm sure you will some fruitlets soon...it takes several weeks from blooms to pollination to seeing baby fruitlets. The fact that you have bees pollinating them is a very good sign...you're way ahead of me (FL) I will not see blooms till end of Dec. to early January ...Good luck and please keep us posted.

You can take a small paint brush and spread the pollen around, it certainly can't hurt but the bees should be doing their job :o)

Theo you have a very nice Pickering mangol...I love my pickering mango! One of my favorites...

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Also, and Puglvr may agree, adding some Potassium alone might help it to hold fruits as it doesn't look like you're having a problem with getting it to bloom, just hold fruitlets.....It is specifically recommended by some of the professionals growing mangoes in Florida

Maybe increase the watering a bit too, as the developing fruits do use a lot of moisture....

Like it's already been said - VERY good growing techniques for both you guys!!!!!!! The plants look
    healthy enough.....

MDog

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mangodog and Puglvr for the advices. I will start adding some Potassium and water more often. I wish is to have just one mango fruit!!!!That's enough. Never tastes a Carrie mango before!!!!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery