Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaslan

Fairchild Mango Festival: July 9, 2011 ?

yaslan
13 years ago

I know it's a little early to think about the Fairchild Mango festival but I was wondering if these dates are correct (July 9, 2011?) I am very determined to make it down next summer and experience this mango-euphoria for myself. Also, I would like to start planning as soon as possible. So, any advice on where I might lodge, nurseries to visit or any other tropical fruit related adventure would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks!

-Bo

Fairchild Mango Festival: July 9, 2011 ?

Comments (23)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

if we have a good mango year that will be the date, they may change it as sometimes the seasons timing is off

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bo:

I think you can pretty much rely on the day they are giving you. To my knowledge, the date hasn't ever been changed for lack of mangoes. I'm not sure where they get all of their mangoes, but they have plenty, year in and year out despite limitations in local harvest. Many, I believe, are imported. Most of what you want to see is in Miami Dade County and that is where the festival is as well. I am in the next county north of Dade, about a 45 minute drive from where the action is down south. About 45 minutes north of me is Excalibur Nursery which is a possible destination. Do the entire Fairchild gaqrdens Tour, including the Whitman Pavillion, while you are at the festival. While down in Miami, you should be sure to see The Fruit and Spice Park. The Kampong (David fairchild's actual home) is also a point of interest. There are other nurseries in the area that are possible to visit. I would include in that list Going Bananas and Lara's (there are others, but these are all that come to mind right now). Robert Is Here (a fruit and fruit smoothie store) is a typical tourist stop. As to where to stay, there are many, many choices and that can be further decided based upon where you fly in and out of, how long your stay will be and what you want to see, if anything other than horticultural spots (as in the beach, shopping, etc.) How long will you have to visit? And what other interests, if any, will you want to address?

Harry

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bryan, Thanks for responding. Btw, your pandan pup is doing well but the dragonfruit does not want to root. It still looks pretty healthy so I will just wait and be patient.

Hi Harry, There's no way that I would go all the way to Florida and not visit your tropical paradise! As a matter of fact, that was my original intention. Then I figured why not attend Fairchild's Mango Festival too? Though, the only thing I worry about, is that your Maha Chanok will not be ready. So, I am praying to the Mango Gods to sprinkle some magic your way and all the mango growers in Florida too!

I had only planned on staying for 4 days but it sounds like I might have to extend it to a full week! And why not? I want to visit all the places you described and I don't want to rush and cram everything in. Also, I sure would like to meet all the good folks on this forum (that lives in Florida). Maybe we should have a mini tropical fruit convention ourselves? LOL

My only interest are the tropical fruits. I hadn't thought about anything else but since you asked; I'd love to visit the beach and shopping mall too. Or if you think there's another hot spot I should visit, then I open to that as well.

I am very excited and can't wait to meet ya Harry (and hopefully the other forum members that lives there too)

Thank you!

-Bo

p.s I was thinking Fort Lauderdale airport or is there another that works better?

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Bo,
    Harry is 100% correct about the date not changing for lack of mangos. So you don't have to worry about the date.

Ft Lauderdale is a much better airport just because it's usually less crowded and less busy than MIA. A lot easier to get in and out of than Miami airport.

You should definitely visit all the places Harry mentioned. Make sure to check out Pine Island Nursery too. Excalibur has lots of fruits for sale during the summer. They often have many mangos to buy that you wouldnt be able to buy anywhere else.

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sheehan, Good to know Fairchild's Mango Festival is pretty much set in stone for July 9th - 10th 2011.

I hope Pine and Excalibur isn't too far because I would definitely like to visit them as well!

The only thing I worry about is not having enough room in my suit cases for all the mangoes and other tropical fruits lol. Also, I wonder if I they'll let me bring a 3' mango tree on the plane? Maybe I'll have to package it up and send it via usps?

Ft. Lauderdale it will be then...

Thank you!

-Bo

• swrancher
    13 years ago

The theme of the festival next year is "Mangos of Hispanola," I wonder what types of mango will be featured? The only one I can think of is the "Madame Francis" from Haiti.

BO - Take a drive down "Krome Ave" stopping at Pine Island Nursery, then the Fruit and Spice Park, then down to "Robert is Here" fruitstand you'll enjoy it. Depending on time of mango season your here, there are some excellent fruit at Spykes Grove on Griffin Road in Davie. Last season I bought first Edward, then Carrie, then Valencia Pride, then Kent mangos from them by the boxload, yum....

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Swrancher, That sounds like a great plan! I am admittedly thrilled and cannot wait for July to come around!!

Also, I was wondering, are the fruits at the mango festival terribly expensive? Because knowing me, I'd probably want to buy up all the mangoes my eyes can spy! And what about other fruit stands? How much will a large box of mangoes cost? Should I attend both days of the mango festival or is one day good enough?

Since this will be my first trip to Florida; I appreciate all your responses and recommendations! Thank you!!

-Bo

• tropicalia
    13 years ago

Bo I am also very excited to go there, I am sure it is very interesting. I don't know many places here yet but you don't want to miss Robert is here and Fruit and spice Park, Pine Island Nursery is HUGE, I just went for the first time the other day. You will love these places.
    SWrancher do Spykes Grove also sell other tropical fruit like sugar apple? In late summer I always need to drive to Robert's just to go get some Kent mangos and sugar apple (my favorite). I did not know of any other places around here. I guess I will put that place in my summer hunting list. :) Please Let me know if you know of any other good places.

• gnappi
    13 years ago

I've been to Fairchild, and the Excalibur Nursery and I could spend more productive time at Excalibur.

Whatever you do VISIT EXCALIBUR! Bring a truck, cash or check (No CC taken) and you will NOT be sorry! They probably have more varieties than the next 20 other "fruit tree" nurseries put together.

My first visit there last week I bought two Passion fruit vines, a Starfruit, and a Mamey (sp?) with a 60 lb bag of fertilizer for less than I'd expect to pay for a couple of trees (and rather tiny ones) I saw at Fairchild.

Of course YMMV but my first visit to Fairchild was underwhelming and my last.

Regards,

Gary

• boson
    13 years ago

I have to agree that Excalibur is a great place. If you are lucky when you visit them they will not be too busy with other customers and can give you a tour in a golf cart. I really enjoyed that. And it's an easy way to pick up the potted plants you like on the way. I live about 10 mins away.

Tomas

• jhl1654
    13 years ago

I love the Madame Francis.It doesn't have too much fiber . I can't finish one by myself .It's a large size mango

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Yikes, Maureen.....if you think that Madame Francis "doesn't have too much fiber" you need to try some of the other cultivars around. Aside from East Indian and a Mallika seedling that I have fruited, Madame Francis has the most fiber (by a considerable margin) of any of the 92 varieties that I grow. Do come by in the summertime and let me show you.

Harry

• jhl1654
    13 years ago

Harry ! I may just drive the long distance and take you up on that offer. My daughter calls me a garden freak after all.LOL . If it wasn't for the traffic and the property taxes i'd be so tempted to move south again, just so that I could have as many fruit trees as you do Harry. I've already said to you how much I'd love to live in that little guest house in your "paradise yard". Unfortunately we can't move right now. So please keep posting those pics, I'll keep on drooling.

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tropicalia, I too am very excited and can't wait for July to roll around!! Do you live close to Fairchild's?

gnappi and boson, Excalibur sounds like a lot of fun! I will surely be lusting over all their tropical fruit trees! lol. Also, thanks for letting me know that they do not take CC!

Maureen, if I lived within driving distance; I'd definitely make the drive to Harry's place!

-Bo

• jhl1654
    13 years ago

Yaslan ! Harry's yard is a paradise.I've seen his pics. So many different varieties of mangoes and different fruit trees

• tropicalia
    13 years ago

Yes, I problably live one hour, 1 1/2hr from there. I am very new to Gardening so I just started. I went today to Excalibur and everyone here is right. Don't miss it. I was there to visit for the first time and see if they have a bigger Jaboticaba tree, like 5, 6ft tall. I tought they problably would have just small ones(Like Pine Island the other day). Boy I was shocked!!! I could not buy it yet, I was drooling at the big selection of big jaboticaba's trees. They had huge one too. wow.
    Harry 92!!! That's pretty amazing!
    Maureen I also saw many people here commenting about the taste of his great mangos! I need go see those pics.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Bo,

I would be interested in going to the Mango Festival...sounds like a great time!!!

Come spring we should try and get everyone together and visit the Festival..would be fun to meet everyone!!!

If you happened to show up on my plane...I would even help you stow your new purchase..even if it was 3 feet tall!! LOL...I once brought back a palm tree from Puerto Rico..they looked at me like I was crazy..you should have seen me and my mother washing all of the dirt off of it at the Hotel...then to finally get through security!!!

How are you doing? Looks like you all are having lots fo rain..

Take care Bo..and thanks again for everything...I will post soon with pics of the NBC!!! : )

take care everyone!!

Laura in VB

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Laura!

LOL... you are a true plantaholic! just like the rest of us!! I can only imagine how you must've felt with all the other passengers spying at you as if you were some crazy person! Though, come July, I'll be experiencing this very same thing. I say bring it on! LOL

But, yes, that would be Fantastic if we all could meet at the Fairchild's Mango Festival! As a matter of fact, I was thrilled to read that you want to attend as well!! I've been trying to get Andrew to go with me lol I already have the dates penciled in my calendar and is very determined to attend this most prestigious mango festival lol! It would be that more fun if you went too!! ( :

And, yes, lots of rain with no end in sight..*sigh* I have never missed the sun more in my entire life than I do now! I think CA is calling my name... LOL

Though, I do love the Holidays; I cannot wait for the New year to arrive!!

Your celadine cutting is wrapped in Christmas lights and generating a good amount of heat! So, I do have high hopes for this cutting. Thank you, Laura!

Take care everyone and Happy Holidays!

-Bo

p.s. I do envy all you fine folks who lives in mango-heaven aka Florida!!

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tropicalia, it would be nice to meet ya as well! Aa a matter of fact, we should have our own mini tropical fruit convention during this time! lol

I can't wait to visit Excalibur! I know I am gonna be drooling and lusting over all their mango, lychee, logan, and jakfruit trees! And I'll be just like a little kid visiting a candy store for the very first time!! The thought of being surrounded by all kinds of tropical fruit trees is making my head spin!! lol

-Bo

• tropicalia
    13 years ago

Yes Yaslan! That would be great!
    Why do we do a "Fairchild Festival Get Together 2011" and we all put a name tag with our GW names so we can identify each other quickly?
    That would be fun!

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tropicalia, that sounds like a great idea!

It's been so dark and dreary, I cannot wait for July to come around!! I don't know how the people in the North Pole lives with 6 weeks of complete darkness (out of the year)!

-Bo

• rwchen_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I recommend you try and visit Hatcher Mango Hill right off Hypoluxo Road and I-95 in West Palm. I believe they really are the best mangoes in the world, and I grew up in Jamaica. I have a Hatcher tree and it is part of our family legacy now. Try it if you are in the area. You will need to call and see if they are selling to public when you are in town, they have such high demand that they now sell to a waiting list through their website. The Hatcher's are a wonderful family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hatcher Mango Hill

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I was offered to purchase a Hatcher hill mango via email but I declined by the time my number was up

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus