Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalia_gw

Just sharing a mango pruning link

tropicalia
13 years ago

Hi Guys, I was researching about pruning and just found a good link. It is interesting to see that it is important how you prune to get more mangos. It is very detailed the grafting info too. I learn so much here so I just wanted to share this http://blog.agriculture.ph/category/research-and-development/page/11

Comments (30)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

they do graft mango trees low, many of the older varieties were large so it didnt matter so much but newer varieties are more focused on smaller and dwarf trees and its becoming more popular to have smaller pruned dooryard trees.

you can paste links in the two boxes below the box you type your reply in, like I did with this Fairchild Tropical Gardens link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/mangopruning.html

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks tropicalia...that's a great link. I would love to get my hands on some of those Mango wraps they use in the Philippines! Using the airline's extra headrest fabric is a great idea!

I put the direct link below...so we don't have to cut and paste.

Here is a link that might be useful: pruning technique

• zands
    13 years ago

tropicalia

The way I see it you can buy one of the "condo mangoes". They self prune in the sense that they like to branch out horizontally more and do it younger. They like being naturally smaller and bushy. One drawback is the reason they are condo (meaning small) is that have dwarfish tree characteristics (think bonsai) bred into them. This means they grow slower than mango trees that are normal size and are described as vigorous growers

If I'm in your shoes I get two mango trees. One as a backup. Don't place all your bets on one tree. You can get one polyembryonic tree and one monoembryonic tree. I just gave you something to research

Pruning two trees and caring for two trees is no big deal. Therefor do not feel compelled to get the condo mango type trees. Although some are said to do much better in pots and never planted. A full size mango species....get it in larger and larger pots and prune it properly.... It will grow quicker than dwarfish condos.

Also by buying two trees one can be condo type and the other the full sized type

• tropicalia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am sorry that I did not link directly I still do not know how to do this here but I will learn soon. Promise.
    I am so happy that I found this place, I would not jump on this planting stuff without this place + youtube, since I don't even know anyone in this area that grows these trees to learn from them. So this place here is already giving me the confidence. :) Thank you. The only place I know is Robert's here(a little far from me) and I asked one day if they have a tour of their farm but they don't do that. Later one I may join a local group around here(Coral Springs Area) to maybe see the actual trees,fruits and take some classes, like the great class I took at Fruit and Spice Park.
    Mango kush I saw that link before infact I am counting the days for visiting that place,taste the mangos and see what is all about! I think I will learn a lot and have fun there.
    Zands You are right. That's what I am thinking too. With my inexperience I must to have "backupS" So I already changed my mind about getting just one.

"polyembryonic tree and one monoembryonic tree" I definately need to go research this one too. This part sounds japonese too me :) but I am listening to you. Thank you for helping me.

• zands
    13 years ago

Tropicalia

There are basically two mango families.
    Ones that have an India/Pakistani heritage and ones that have an IndoChinese heritage such as Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Philippines. India mangoes are monoembryonic and will not grow true from seeds. Must be grafted. IndoChinese ones are polyembryonic and will grow true from seed if you are careful. Nam Doc Mai is IndoChinese. It's seed will actually yield 5-6-7 little sprouts to turn into trees. Some true to the original tree....some sprouts not so true.

All the familiar old Florida breeds are mono. Or 99% are. IndoChinese/Poly breeds are becoming more popular in Fl because of better disease resistance (Anthracnose)

Poly= from wetter climate
    Mono= from drier climate.....drier at least during the crucial time of year when mangoes are flowering and putting out fruits. That is just how it is in the prime India/Paki mango growing regions

The mono/India breeds have problems when we in Fl have wet springs. Disease problems. The commercial growers often spray with copper and other fungicides to kill anthracnose. But don't go crazy about this. You can still get great yields from the India/Mono but some years the wet weather and lots of morning dews put a dent in production. A sunny location for a tree helps evaporate the dew quicker

I'm not sure but you can plant a mango tree in shaded place. It just won't yield as much fruit because it does not collect as much solar energy

If you get a Nam Doc Mai (Vietnamese) be sure sure sure sure to get the #4 variety of that tree

Pickering is India/mono but has good disease resistance from what I hear

You can have a mango variety that is anthracnose prone here in Fl but does great in Jamaica and Dominican Republic where the salt air from sea breezes works against the anthracnose. Problem in inland Florida is stagnant air that anthracnose can thrive better in

• tropicalia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOw this is interesting. Zands Thank you for going in detail. Your name here sounds somehow familiar to me, maybe I know someone with that last name or something. To be honest with you I really did not know anything about this.
    I hear that Julie is prone to disease too. How about the Nam Doc Mai how a newbie would figure that it is actually #4, if I go to Pine Island will the tag say so?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

PI carries Nam Doc Mai and it is #4

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

I bought a Nam Doc Mai about 2 years ago. I don't think it is #4. Would you please explain the different between the two.

• zands
    13 years ago

jlgarden_______
    Nam Doc Mai #4 is supposed to be be a more reliable bearer. You will find few internet references to the #4. You could call up Pine Island and ask them what the differences are.ÃÂ
    Here are two google searches for you

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS393US393&q=%22Nam+Doc+Mai+4%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS393US393&q=%22Nam+Doc+Mai+4%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

• zands
    13 years ago

Tropicalia

Yeah Julie has anthracnose problems here but not so in Jamaica with its ocean breezes. So the story goes. If you do a search on this website for julie mango you find things. Or any mango. There is a great archive here of mango threads with lots of photos

Zands is just a made up name. Pine Island is only selling Nam Doc #4 these days and you can also get them from Jeff Hagen (has a mini nursery) who lives in Tamarac. I also live in Tamarac. Jeff is a mango genius who does grafting, he posted his email here jeff.hagen@gmail.com ....... I can show you diff mango trees how some grow bushy. I am at kangaroomileATgmailDOTCOM

Pickering and Nam Doc #4 would be good choices for you. Nam Doc #4 covers the IndoChinese side. Pickering or a different one for the India/Pakistani side

It's nice to get the larger 7 gallon sizes so you get fruit sooner. But it has to be the right one. Sometimes 7 gallon mangoes get frozen in their skin (bark) and have trouble making nice new green growth. The regular 3 gallon (such as at Home Depot) are younger and more green all over. Fresh and ready to be planted and grow in all directions. Pine Island has that larger selection of big and small and Jeff might too

• zands
    13 years ago

jlgarden_____

Here is the other google search for #4 Nam Doc Mai with diff spelling

Here is a link that might be useful: #4 Nam Doc Mai

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Zands
    I noticed you said Nam Doc Mai is a Vietnamese mango but from the very limited reading/research I've done on Nam Doc Mai, it's said to have originated from Thailand?
    Can you please confirm or point me in the right direction for some good reading materials?
    One sure thing is that None has said otherwise.

thanks again

Tim

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Nam Doc Mai was introduced to Florida from Thailand in 1973 through a USDA program, if it originated there Im not certain. Nam Doc Mai was named after a lady "Mai" from South (Doc) Vietnam (Nam)

Nam Doc Mai is a Thai name. the most common Vietnamese mango names are Cao Lãnh Cát Chu or Cat mango, Bình ÃÂá»Ânh Elephant mango, HoàLá»Âc Sand mango.

• zands
    13 years ago

esco_socal
    Mango_kush

It sounded like Vietnamese to me but you guys are right. Thailand origin. On internet says it is popular among Thais and Vietnamese living here (USA)

Here is a very nice article about a Vietnamese guy running a nursery in LA and selling Nam Doc and a lot of other things

Here is a link that might be useful: Vietnamese guy running a nursery in LA

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

It probably has some Vietnamese influence in the naming like Mango_Kush pointed out.
    It should also be popular for its green eating quality. But then again, Vietnamese people love their mangos green regardless which cultivar.

Tim

• tropicalia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you guys for the info. If I dont have a ripe one :) I also love the eat a green mango with plain salt. In Brazil many people do that too.

• tropicalia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zands thats is really nice from you, I would LUUUV to see your trees! That would be a big help with my decisions. This group here is great!!!
    I am really curious to see some tropical trees planted here in South Florida and see how everyone grows them. I drive to Fruit Spice Park just for that but since you offered, you are way closer. I am thinking about contacting also the person I took the class about Annonas here is right here around us too(Coral Springs) and really had so much experience. More I see more I will learn. Maybe you also know him? I got his info that same day but I lost his email. His name is Noel Ramos.
    Zands thank you.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Tropicalia:

You and all other Forum members, are also welcome to visit my property. I have had many of the Forum members come by. It is more enjoyable to come during the summer when there are mangoes and/or lychees to taste....but you are welcome any time. Noel is a friend of mine and you may reach him at mangosteen59@gmail.com. Take care

Harry

• tropicalia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry That's great that you have Noel info to give me and even better that you invited me to check your famous mangos(from the other posts I did read here).
    I am super excited about this, I will email you.

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

Zands - Thanks for the info. Hope my Nam Doc Mai bear some fruits.

Growing up in central Vietnam, I knew that mango by the name Xoai Cat (sand mango) but did not know its origin. there, We also loved those large green sour mango and ate them with fresh hot chili, sugar and fish sauce.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

a mango from Taiawan Ive had no luck in sourcing

Common Name: Golden Queen Mango
    Botanical Name: Mangifera Indica
    Family: Anacardiaceae
    Origin: Taiwan
    Plant Size: Large
    Varieties: Golden Queen or Jin-huang Mango
    Season: April-June

Description:
    The Jinhuang mango was fostered by Mr. Huang Jin-huang of nearby Liouguei and is known as the "King of Mangoes". The big fruit is papaya-shaped and weighs about 1.2 kilograms, has a thin pit, fragrant taste, high degree of sweetness and lacks fiber, making it one of the most popular fruits. The season for Jinhuang mango is May to August; during this period the quality of is the best. One should choose the fruit with orange to yellow-green color. Fruit farmers will pick the harvest in advance when they are close to mature, and accelerate the ripening after selling in the market. Taoyuan Township promotes more refined agricultural skills, and every year will hold a competition with an evaluation of Jinhuang mangoes, including color, weight, sweetness, etc. Visitors should choose the Jinhuang mango, and Taoyuan Township is the best choice for quality!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.rarefruitnursery.com/products.php

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

I've seen you post this before. I also have been unsuccesful in locating a source for this mango. The quest continues.

Harry

• mangodog
    13 years ago

I too saw this guy's wild-eyed webpage awhile back, Mango Kush, with the monster of all mangos......sounds like you need to go to Liouguei, Taiwan for all of us and bring back a specimen!

Then you'd probably be the most popular scion provider at the forum for many years to come!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry Harry - I'm sure it wouldn't be forever - lol)

MadDog

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

Here is the Jin Huang mango.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=2990188450

I did my best in this translation.

Jin=gold huang=yellow ãÂÂ大éÂÂé»ÂèÂÂæÂÂã = large golden yellow mango
    cost 12.80 Yuan / gram or 128.00 Yuan each
    Net weight 5000g. Approx 11lb.
    Grown at Hainan Island, China
    Description: Thin seed, sweet, aroma, smooth texture, juicy, fiber-less, long shelf life.
    Other description: Golden yellow mango is not only having attractive color and shape but also special aroma. It has a taste of banana, papaya and honey combined. It is smooth, delicate and sweet when eat.

Harry - Sound like this may the quest of a rare mango tree for your orchard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Jin Huang Mango

• abayomi
    13 years ago

The original link mentions fruit "maybe" in 6 years. Isn't that a long time for a grafted plant?

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

Well the translation page is hard to understand so I will summarize it.

Mr. Hung got a sapling from a friend 13 year ago (from 2009) and planted it on his side yard. Is had been fruited consistently with tiny mangoes in the past years. In 2009, there was a large golden mango grew on one of the branch. The scene was amazed by many local residents.
    Mr. Hung was not a farmer or he had mastered any grafting skill. With a closer examination, the branch that grew the large fruit was grown from the main trunk about 80cm above the ground. If it was not been grafted at that sapling stage, it was hard to explain this strange scene.

I think the mango from Mr, Hung's tree or the one that posted by Mango_Kush is different than the one from China. At least the weight are different.

• berns_20
    13 years ago

hi. I own the www.rarefruitnursery.com, i am base in the philippines.

I've seen that there is interest in the golden queen of jin-huang mango of taiwan.

there are many us based clients that want to ship grafted golden queen mangoes from california and florida.

I do not ship internationally as i only cater to our local market. But I could send some scions to interested growers in Florida or Califoria.

Anyway, just to give you a brief background on Golden Queen or Jin-Huang mango. Though it is a Taiwan based mango, which the owner selected. It has a thai lineage.

The variety Golden Queen or Jin-Huang mango was selected as a chance seedling of a Nam Doc Mai fruit by the owner. Planted the Nam doc Mai seedling and a chance variety was selected.

Taste and production wise, GQ or Jin-Huang mango can stand above the rest other mango varieties. which is why the Japanese, China and Singapore market is clamoring for more production of this from taiwan.

Just e-mail me your address at info@rarefruitnursery.com so that I could send you some GQ mango scions. :) I am also interested in exchanging other mango varieties as well.

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

Berns_20 - That is a very generous offer for our members here. Thank you. A question for you. your web site says that the GQ mango is about 1.2kg. The one that sold in China claims at 5kg. Is it true they grow the mango that big?

• berns_20
    13 years ago

@jlgarden - its possible that a GQ mango variety grown in Hainan province can grow and weigh up to 5 kgs. With there cultural management of growing mangoes like severe pruning, high density planting and fruit thinning. GQ mango can adopt in that kind of cultural management of growing mangoes. Its not prune sensitive and voluntarily fruiting. Sometimes a regular GQ mango tree with no ample care can still produce a 1 kg individual mango fruit when in season.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County