Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Top Tr. now selling mango 'Maha Chinook'!

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

I was just glancing at Top's website and came across the Maha Chinook! I was surprised to say the least but it is sold out. This will surely be a hot seller, well maybe. With there steep prices, who knows what they will be charging!

Andrew

Comments (11)

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

I would just as soon go without or order from Frankie's in HI.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

they listed imam passand mango awhile ago but never got it in stock.
    the description almost sounds like theyve been reading the posts here, which is entirely possible. it comes up in Google when you search maha chinook.
    i bought an okrung tong tree from them awhile back and its the only mango tree ive ever have die on me, it was a twig and couldnt take the winter, other more tropical trees like my marang survived outside though, oddly. i bought a tong dam mango of them as well and its still pretty gangly. I used them because its a difficult cultivar to find.

i bought my groff lychee from PI for $35, shortly after they have them listed for $75.

they have Kaimana lychee as well

• everettsky
    13 years ago

I don't think they ever had Maha Chinook trees in stock. Seems like they just listed a few new varieties without backing it up. Not 100% sure, but they've had it listed for a few months already (been checking often) and so far, I've never seen the "In stock" number above a zero! They listed a few other "new" Asian varieties of mangoes but those share the same mysterious fate as Maha Chinook. Drumming up business?? Who knows....

BTW, are Maha Chinooks really from Singapore, as listed on their site??? That's interesting... :D

everettsky

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

they list alot of things in their catalog they never have in stock.

Fairchild has St Maui mango pictured as solid green, however on their site its bright orange/red. Im growing a St Maui, i found it at Pine Island

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everettsky,
    I wouldn'y doubt that the Maha Chinook is from Singapore. Like Mangokush states, they easily could have just read posts here and put info into there own words. They also could have contacted Frankies to get info from them.

I am just glad I got mine from Frankies when I did. I really got lucky. All that searching for many months and it paid off. I just wish the darn inflos would make there appearance!

Andrew

• tammysf
    13 years ago

i won't buy anymore trees from top t. out of almost 2 dozen tropical and subtropical trees i have bought and planted the only 3 that died were from top t.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

...and by the way - for anyone looking for a Maha Chinook (or any mango tree from Frankie's) - they have to grow them in special conditions to satisfy the California agricultural inspectors, and they said they don't, so we cannot order anything from Frankie's here in CA....that's what a gentleman from that place told me when I called last week....so I've given up that dream....

mangewoofie

• invar69
    13 years ago

Andrew - I recently bought 4 mango trees from them and 4 more will arrive tomorrow. Of the first 4, one of them was coated in what appears to be a mineral deposit of red clay (?) - laborious to scrub off - and one had a less than desirable graft line (it was their last tree of that variety in their inventory). They look healthy but they are sent root-balled so expect them to be stressed right out of the box. I can try to post the outcome of my batch of trees from TT, if you like.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

Andrew, luckily I had read your post last year re: buying your Maha from Frankie's...I called them and got the last one. It is now safely growing in Indialantic, FL.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Blue Palm - read my lips:

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

lol.....

Fido

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

I'm glad I have never order from this outfit they look kind of shady....I'm reluctant to order any tropicals online again. PlantOGram has great service but their trees are potbound I already had one die on me.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio