Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion fruit looking yellow

Posted by ahajmano sunset 23 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 1:35

Hi all,

I transplanted two passionfruit vines into my south facing front yard against a trellis. Since I planted them, the foliage has slightly yellowed, and I have not seen much growth since it was still in a pot (about 5 weeks).

I did use 2 cf of steer manure mixed with native soil into the planting hole, and I water deeply twice a week. I also used about two cups of Gypsum to help break up the clay soil.

Please see picture below of a typical leaf.

Any ideas? Is the soil salinity now too high?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion fruit looking yellow

You mention clay soil, it could be poor drainage, with water sitting around the roots.

o

Update: the leaves are getting more yellow, but strangely enough, I am still getting passion flowers and the vines are still growing, but very slowly.

hmm, it could be drainage... but it is planted on an 8" mound...and my bananas in the same planter seem to be doing fine.

Do passionfuits like drier soil?

o

Did you check the underside leaves for spider mites?

o

Hmm... I will check. I did have a spider mite problem with the Mandarin.

Since then, I have already sprayed both with Neem, but it has only been 3 weeks. Time will tell if the new foliage is healthier.

o

Passion fruit usually don't like the neem or any other oil based sprays too much. It can clog the leaves underside and they will die off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here