Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kobe24_gw

Curious about Rambutan,mangosteen climate Areas

kobe24
12 years ago

So I've heard that mangosteen and rambutans are grown on the windward sides of the Hawaiian islands. But do rambutans and mangosteens grow In tropical key west Florida?

Comments (12)

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Hot and humid. Very acidic soil. Will not tolerate the salt spray if too close to the coast...or if water table is salty. Whitman did it in south Miami but his place was pretty protected.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I've never seen them in Key West, but I would guess if Whitman could fruit mangosteen, it could be done in Key West as well. I don't think Rambutan frutiing has been accomplished anywhere in Florida. For the record, Whitman's place was not in South Miami. Actually, it was located on Bal Harbor Island....one of the barrier islands that make up what most people think of Miami Beach. Bal Harbor is actually fairly north in the scheme of things as compared to South Beach or especially as compared to Homestead and the actual city of South Miami.If you drew a line from Bal Harbor over to the mainland, you'd actually be in North Miami. Because Whitman's place was on the intra-coastal waterway side of the island, it enjoyed a few extra degrees of cold protection. Temps in South Miami or Homestead, or out by me in Davie, could be 10 or more degrees colder than at Whitman's.

Harry

• kobe24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yea I was just curious, because Hawaii's climate seems somewhat similar to southern or very southern Florida, and also because rambutan and mangosteen are grown in the Caribbean.. So I was thinking the my could be grown in Key West,Florida

Anybody know exactly where these ultra tropical fruits are grown in Hawaii?

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi adiel,

That's really great to hear about your mangosteen. May I ask if it's in the ground or in a pot. Do you use any kind of surrounding heating when it drops below 40F or so?

Tomas

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

As far as I know, you could grow either anywhere in the Hawaiian islands. Where are they being grown? On the big island, the island of Hawaii, there are nurseries, growers and collectors. One side of that island is dry (Kona) and the other side (Hilo) is very wet. Both are tropical temperature-wise, so with proper irrigation, they could be grown on either side. Frankies Nursery on Oahu is probablty also growing these two. As far as private collectors thoughout the islands...we need some posters from that part of the world to fill us in as to who is doing what. The last time I was in Hawaii, many moons ago, I was into orchids and not tropical fruit. So, I didn't get to explore the fruit situation over there. My next trip, will hopefully be otherwise.

Harry

• adiel
    12 years ago

Boson thanks. I have it in the ground (had to do a large soil replacement since it requires acid soil). I have a homemade greenhouse from 2x4's and 4mil clear plastic from home depot. Right now (as of last night first time this season) I turned on a dayton heater on its lowest (coolest) setting. I am using this one:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Heater-3VU33

During the summer I will be taking off the clear plastic and replacing it with 50% shadecloth. Then for the next winter, back to plastic again and so on.

Adiel

• kobe24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have heard that rambutans are grown on the east side of the big island, basically south of hilo, the climate of this region is similar to other ranbutan growing areas like Cairns,Australia and thailand

• rodneys
    12 years ago

I have a 6-inch or so mangosteen seedling acquired from a fellow GardenWeber. I have it inside the house by a south-facing window. It's been doing well. Next to it is a para acai seedling that's around 1 foot tall & really thriving. It has 4 branches & the trunk is growing thicker in diameter.

• newgen
    12 years ago

My mangosteen (in a pot), lost most of its leaves a few weeks ago when the temps dipped down to the 30s. I brought it inside my garage, under a MH grow light, no leaves have sprouted back since that time. The light is on from 11 PM until 5 AM. Temps inside the garage when the light is off is in the high 50s. With the light on, it's in the high 60s-low 70s. Should I be worried about the fact that no new leaves have sprouted?

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Leaf loss on mangosteens is not a good thing. Sorry to say that every time that has happened to mine....the tree declined and died in time not too long thereafter. I hope yours fares better than mine did.

Harry

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Harry...everything in Florida is SOUTH to me!!!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH