Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kobe24_gw

need major mango help, anyone pics included

kobe24
12 years ago

Anybody please help, my manila mango tree hasnt been doing good lately. I had leftover tea stuff twice every week and now this is happened? Is this a disease, any clues,advice?

Comments (13)

• kobe24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To correct me spelling and grammer,
    i have been adding leftover tea stuff twice every week to increase the accidity. Plase offer any advice.

• nullzero
    12 years ago

looks like salts burn/fertilizer burn.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

What Null said - that's the first thing that came to mind - you don't have any dogs that jump in to that planter and pee frequently do you?

And "leftover tea stuff" - not sure what you meant by that, but I'd stop that for now. I'd really do a long slow soak (maybe an hour of the hose on slow flow) of the area around the plant to leach anything toxic or salts from the root area of the plant.

It might even be two problems, this whatever it is in the soil and bugs on the leading growth points. Those leaves look a bit eaten - can you look under or around those leaves (with a magnifying glass is best) to see if you see anything?

mangowoofie

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

i would also suggest clearing out a 2-3' radius around your tree. the grass will compete with fruit trees for nutrients and water.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Does look like burn, I'd also recommend a soak.

• rtees_garden
    12 years ago

Ad far as the brown/dying leaves, I would agree with the consensus of a burn, but from the photos it looks as though only one side of the tree is affected. Could it possibly be sunburn ( was there a shade casting object on one side that was abruptly removed) or was there some sort of cold protection that was in contact with that side of the tree?

As far as the new growth is concerned, it looks like something is amiss, but I do not yet have enough experience with mangos to suggest what might be wrong.

Richard

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

I'm a little confused. This doesn't look like classic fertilizer burn - at least from the vantage point of what I'm used to seeing here in South Florida. It does resemble what I've sometimes seen when I've put small mango trees that are used to semi-shade out in full sun conditions. It's little more than a conjecture, but I think Richard might be onto something.

Jeff

• socalmango
    12 years ago

Kobe24, where in CA are you in?

Looks like typical salt built up here in So Cal. Our clay soils, and potable water are the culprits.
    As previous members mentioned do a long water soak around the plant. You need enough water to leach out the salt built up for starters. Then start to apply some gypsum around the plant extending it out 2 feet from the trunk and water in 1- 2 cups of it. Gypsum will help to loosen up the soil so that it can leach out those salts a bit better. Do it on a monthly basis along with an extended water soak. You will eventually start to see the results with the new growth.

The new growth issue could be a combination of salt burn and cold weather. New growth is very susceptible to both. And we have had some very cold nights here in SoCal the last several weeks.

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Socalmango, just gave some great advice that is spot on. I have had salt build up and ph problems, in some of my container plants in the past. The water has a high amount of salt in it and the ph is in the low 8s.. Collecting rain water, and using it to flush out the soil would be great.

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

Make sure the water your using isn't chlorinated, (city ) or high in salt ( well ). one way to remove chlorine from water is to put some in a bucket and put it out in direct sunlight for a while, those that brew worm tea, will often oxygenate the water first with a fish tank bubbler and pump.

good tips from previous poster on using rain water if available.

• kobe24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everybody for the invaluable amount of knowledge you have given me.
    What i plan on doing, is
    1.applying Gypsum
    2.Mulching the tree for less competition
    3.soaking the tree with water that has been left out

I sometimes ponder why my mango tree is doing this poorly, because i have a successful indian guava tree, and white sapote tree nearby doing great.

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Kobe24,

The other trees, most likely have better salt and ph tolerance. Guavas seem to perform well, even in poorer soil.