Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Chilling requirements for inducing mango tree inflos.

Andrew Scott
12 years ago

Hi guys,

Back in November, my 'Maha Chinook' mango tree produced it's first inflo. Sadly, I lost it, when I accidently bumped the chord on my HPS light and broke it. Needless to say I was not very happy. Anyhow, since then I have not seen any more inflos, but tons of new branches forming.

I am assuming that bringing the tree in from the cool outdoors and into 85 degree temps is what induced the blooms. Since it is practically impossible to give it cooler temps at this point, is it safe to say that I will not see inflos again until I can bring it outdoors into cool temps this spring?

Also, I wanted to get some advice on what would be the best fert to feed the tree to encourage inflo this spring.

At around 6ft tall now, I think this tree should be large enough to hold some fruits. My only other concern at this point is that the most recent growth flush is what has pushed my tree to 6ft.

Would pruning the tree now sacrifice the possibility of producing inflos this spring? I also am wondering if there is a fert that I can feed it that would encourage it to produce inflos. I had been using a combo of FE and Sea weed. I have been very pleased with the growth on this tree but I was a little concerned when I had read a previous post that FE should not be used on mango trees.

This tree has actually proven to be the best mango that I have ever grown. It is now going thru it's second winter with no problems. IT has been very vigorous, in fact, I am wondering if I will be able to hold off on repotting it until spring or not. At this point, it is so rootbound that I almost have to water every day, even when I soak the entire root ball.

I want to thank Harry for all the info on this variety. I am really stoked about this up coming spring and summer. As long as I can get it to produce inflos, I don't see why I cannot have some of the most delicious mango I have ever tasted(again thanks to Harry!).

Andrew

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022