Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Weather Appraoching Winter 2011

hmhausman
12 years ago

I thought I would comment on our very warm and wet lead up to winter this year. We have had very little cooling and much more rain than usual. The effect, so far as I can see thus far is that many of the lychee trees are flushing out with leaves rather than being dormant...awating their push of bloom in January. I fear this will cause a reduction in the lychee crop. Admittedly, this is virtually an annual paranoia I have to deal with. These warm lead ups have, in the past, been followed by a really severe freeze. I remember making this comment in 2009 right around this time and just before we had record cold that knocked us for a loop (although it did kick the lychees into bloom). I am so hoping that this will be a warm winter with only enough cooling to get the lychee bloom going. California seems to be having freakish weather with early cold and then severe weather yesterday which included hail and tornadoes. I'd be interested to hear how other lychee grower's trees are doing in the bloom department.

Comments (6)