Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natsgarden123

Jackfruit Plants Free

NatsGarden123
12 years ago

Hello I have a number of healthy seedlings ( MAI 1) and I do not need them all- does anyone want one? You can pick it up. No charge!

Comments (14)

• sleep
    12 years ago

Where are you located?

• NatsGarden123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

West Palm Beach

• johnb51
    12 years ago

A seedling will not fruit for about ten years, whereas a grafted tree in about 3 to 4. If grown in isolation, it may come true from seed, but there's always the chance of cross-pollination from another tree, making it a new variety. So says an expert from Pine Island Nursery.

• NatsGarden123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

good info - but they are free if anyone wants-and as i understand, the seedling will grow fairly quickly into a nice tree

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Johnb51,
    Jackfruit from seed often fruit in 3-4 years. I've seen them put out male flowers at 1 year old in 1 gallon containers. 10 years is definitely not the usual wait time for seedling jackfruit.

• johnb51
    12 years ago

Sorry. Just going by what they told me. I wouldn't know for sure, but I trust your experience. They are beautiful trees, at any rate.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

I think a lot depends on cultivar, but it's definitely not a rarity for a seedling to fruit faster than a grafted tree. My seedling NS1, for example, fruited about 1 year earlier than my grafted black gold. I think a lot has to do with the fact that the seedling is much more vigorous and much more rapidly reaches sufficient trunk girth to be able to hold those giant fruits.

As I see it, the advantages of a grafted jackfruit are: you get a 100% true to type fruit and you get a less vigorous and easier to maintain tree. There is definitely some variability among jackfruit seedlings (though maybe not as much as with other fruits such as the mango).

My seedling NS1 grows like a wild beast where the grafted black gold is much, much more tame.

Jeff

• squam256
    12 years ago

Hey Nats, sent you a message.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Jeff is right, even though a seedling jackfruit might fruit sooner or around the same time, there are more advantages to getting a grafted tree. I wouldn't plant a seedling jackfruit just because there are too many good grafted varieties and I am not willing to leave the quality of fruit up to chance. I have had very horrible seedlings and also very excellent seedlings. I'll leave the experimentation up to others.

• gnappi
    12 years ago

Funny, the PO of my house was "into" planting seeds. Unfortunately I have what appears to be a seedling mango and to me it tastes like turpentine. I have a seedling Avocado that's H-U-G-E and I still have no fruit. Soon it and the mango will be gone.

The problem with seedlings isn't only getting undesirable fruit, it's that AND wasting time, energy, yard space AND then having to cut them down.

Anything I grow from seed (except guava and papaya) I'll keep in a pot to see how they do as fruit. If they outgrow a pot and do not fruit, it's the axe for them :-)

Gary

• johnb51
    12 years ago

Makes sense, Gary!

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Yes Gary... Makes total sense. Why not Guava and papaya? I know papaya grows very fast fruit from seed, but what about guava?

MGB

• gnappi
    12 years ago

man-Go

Papaya grow fast from seed, and Guava are inexpensive as trees or bushes. I'll grow Guava when my lemon guava fruits again... unless Jeff has some more :-)

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Cool!