Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbcbob

Carrie starting to flower early December 2014

pbcbob
9 years ago

Hello everyone, need some advice regarding my Carrie mango tree. I'm starting to see flowering at the top of the tree and something else a little lower on the tree. I don't know if what I'm seeing on lower branches is foliage or flowers at this time. Is this to early for my tree to flower. If it is should I remove these buds at this time. My tree is a 6 yrs old graft. It's about 10 ft tall and it has full healthy foliage. Usually my tree start flowering in late January. Maybe this is much to do about nothing. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
pbcbob

Comments (10)

• pbcbob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi seagel,

Thanks for your response. The one thing I have learned in recent years about growing my Carrie and several other mango varieties is that the more I learn the more I don't know. I Googled Carrie mango tree with early buds and flowers and discovered that budding in November - December is not totally unheard of. I can say that the past few months that rain fall in the Palmbeach area has been slightly heavier than normally this time of year. What kind of rainfall have you had in th Orlando area? The last time I fertilized my trees was early October with a 4-10-2 fertilizer and we had more rain than usual. I'm just guessing, I really don't have a clue but I'm going to leave the buds and see what they turn in to. Are you going to bring your plants in this winter or do you bring them in only when you expect frost?

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

...I hear of a lot of Florida trees are now coming into bloom.....

mDoggie

• seagel
    9 years ago

Bob

2 of 3 of my Carries are in ground. They started budding at the same time as the potted Carrie. I only bring in/cover the trees when temps hit below 40. I've seen about 6-7 nights in the 40s w no issues to the plants.

We've been getting rain here and there since the summer ended. Maybe 20 days worth of rain out of the last 3 months. Just last week in Tuesday we got 1 strong day of rain, 5" of rainfall that day alone!

I attached a photo of my in ground Carrie

• pbcbob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MDoggie,

I have several neighbors that also have a variety of mango trees including 3-4 Carries. I did notice another Carrie with a few buds. Something else to mention is that I pruned my tree in July and not August this year and it had a heavy flush shortly after that. Again I'm just running through possible ideas. My tree produced very well this past season, about 60+ mangos compared to about 14-18 the year before. I'm hoping that the Carrie produce as much this year as it did last year. I only hope this early flowering won't negatively affect that.

Bob

• pbcbob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seagel,

That's a great looking in ground Carrie, you have there. Just looking at the picture it look like a very healthy tree. Sorry if I missed it earlier but how old is the in ground Carrie. I have 1 in ground Carrie and 1 in ground Dot. I have a Mahachanok in a pot and a Cogshall in a pot that I plan on putting in the ground after this winter.

Bob

• seagel
    9 years ago

Hey pbcbob

All my Carries are within 1 yr and a half to 2. I got them all in the summer (July and October). The younger Carrie I purchased and pruned in October Is starting to show some budding. The other two I have pictures here have started 1st week of Nov. Ive read they usually don't start til Jan/Feb.. But I've also heard the Mango Trees will re attempt flowering if the early ones die from now to early Spring.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

December is actually a normal time for mango trees to bloom for us in FL...I've heard of them blooming as early as November...

I have Cogshall (3), Pickering, Maha, Glenn (2) and Keitt...most of them are starting to bloom while others have mixed "new growth flush" and blooms on the same tree...for me its the trigger of colder temps and drier ( less rain/water) that triggers the blooms/buds...

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

I am inclined to say carrie flowering at this time must be common. Mine is just starting to break what i think should be blooms. Im in west Houston TX zone 9a and it looks like the rest of December should be favorable with lows in the mid to low 40's as a worst case scenario...of course, we have fingers crossed hoping the forecast is right! The frost cover is up and the lamps at the ready though!

Will see how today's rain affects the developments... the cogshall and mallika are pretty much "asleep" and my alphonso is recovering from the scale with new flushes in this most favorable mild weather...

Zone Pusher all the way!

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

I am inclined to say carrie flowering at this time must be common. Mine is just starting to break what i think should be blooms. Im in west Houston TX zone 9a and it looks like the rest of December should be favorable with lows in the mid to low 40's as a worst case scenario...of course, we have fingers crossed hoping the forecast is right! The frost cover is up and the lamps at the ready though!

Will see how today's rain affects the developments... the cogshall and mallika are pretty much "asleep" and my alphonso is recovering from the scale with new flushes in this most favorable mild weather...

Zone Pusher all the way!