Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

just bought...

irun5k
12 years ago

I was able to locate a Makok Sapodilla at the local outdoor market on Christmas Eve. It seemed like a reasonable buy for $45 but at any rate they are somewhat hard to come by around here.

Anyway I am eager to hear your advice on this plant. I have researched it for several hours but have some lingering questions.

The only pruning advice I could find was that tipping, as you'd do with a young mango, probably isn't a good idea. So, should it be pruned when the time comes to maximize shape & strength, and minimize impact on fruit production?

Second, what is the maturity period specifically for Makok? Sapodillas in general aooear to have a wide range (4-9+ months?) depending on the cultivar, from what I have read.

Lastly, it is in a 3gal nursery pot right now but I'm thinking of moving it to a nicer 5gal pot. I know plenty of drainage is a given but any other recommendations or will any tapered fiberglass/resin style pot be OK? Also, any recommendations on soil?

As you can see it has some fruit already. I think the grower had this tree for a while, she mentioned when it was younger it didn't produce fruit but then all of a sudden it became a fairly prolific producer.

Thanks in advance! I'm excited to have this tree since we love the fruit and the true dwarf characteristics are very appealing.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting