Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

just bought...

irun5k
12 years ago

I was able to locate a Makok Sapodilla at the local outdoor market on Christmas Eve. It seemed like a reasonable buy for $45 but at any rate they are somewhat hard to come by around here.

Anyway I am eager to hear your advice on this plant. I have researched it for several hours but have some lingering questions.

The only pruning advice I could find was that tipping, as you'd do with a young mango, probably isn't a good idea. So, should it be pruned when the time comes to maximize shape & strength, and minimize impact on fruit production?

Second, what is the maturity period specifically for Makok? Sapodillas in general aooear to have a wide range (4-9+ months?) depending on the cultivar, from what I have read.

Lastly, it is in a 3gal nursery pot right now but I'm thinking of moving it to a nicer 5gal pot. I know plenty of drainage is a given but any other recommendations or will any tapered fiberglass/resin style pot be OK? Also, any recommendations on soil?

As you can see it has some fruit already. I think the grower had this tree for a while, she mentioned when it was younger it didn't produce fruit but then all of a sudden it became a fairly prolific producer.

Thanks in advance! I'm excited to have this tree since we love the fruit and the true dwarf characteristics are very appealing.

Comments (6)