Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalia_gw

The famous 8-3-9 Fertilizer ?

tropicalia
13 years ago

I am researching a lot these days about gardening in general but more specific tropical fruit trees. I am really new so I am asking questions everywhere. ;) So I went to pine island nursery the other day they use this fertilizer 8-3-9, yesterday I went to Excalibur they also mentioned the same fertilizer, I did talk to another fruit grower he also mentioned the same one.

Do you guys also use this one? Is this the best fertilizer to grow fruits? Is it good for container trees or only for ground trees? I also was wondering if that's all you need , if has the minor too.

Excalibur told me that was created for them and they sell it. Thank you for your help

Comments (9)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

8 - 3 - 9 indicates its a fertilizer thats 8 parts nitrogen, 3 parts phosphorous and 9 parts potassium or its NPK value.
    if its granular its a chemical fertilizer, make sure its a slow release formula so it doesnt burn and use sparingly, Osmocote is a good brand.
    if it contains trace minerals it should say it on the label (Palm fertilizers usually do).

in most plants Nitrogen promotes growth, phosphorous promotes flowering and blooms, and potassium promotes root growth
    some plants like citrus are nitrogen needy, bananas tend to like more pottassium. i use a foliar spray for trace minerals on my citrus.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

The common 8-3-9 produced by AFEC is meant for ground application. You might get away with using it on potted plants if you're careful, but I've lost plants doing that :-). Personally, I prefer to incorporate a slow release with minors (eg, osmocote) into my potting mix at the rate of about 1.5 pounds per 45 gallon container.

Jeff

• jhl1654
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info mango kush

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Most plants use NPK in a 3:1:2 ratio, fairly consistently throughout the vegetative, bloom, and fruiting cycle.
    A plant is limited by the least available nutrient, so adding an excess of N, P, or K won't promote growth
    or bloom unless the deficiency is first addressed. Sometimes, fig-growers in marginal zones will limit N
    to hurry along the harvest, but that's an exception.

I can't stress enough the importance of the minors.

I, too, mix Osmocote slow-release into my Citrus container soils,
    and I fertilize with a 9:3:6 fertilizer that includes the micro-nutrients.

Josh

• tropicalia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all.
    Mango Cush Interesting! I did not know about the specific needs of a citrus(I don't have any),what kind of foliar do you use?
    Jeff that is what is really important to me, finding the best fertilizer for "Container" Fruit because I really don't know if one that works great for the ground will also work in a pot.
    JOsh that's exactly where I was going with this. I was wondering if the Foliage Pro 9-3-6(has minors) was not better than the 8-3-9 + minors. Are there any difference or either one is good as a basis fertilizer?
    What do you guys think?

• eusebioandres_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

Is there any place in Miami, that carry the 8-3-9-
    fertilizer?

• zands
    13 years ago

Call Pine Island Nursery. They should have

• mullenium
    13 years ago

i use the alaska fish emulsion 5-1-1 mixed with their 0-10-10 formula.. making my mixture 5-11-11

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Is the proper osmocote fertilizer the 19-6-12 smart release indoor and outdoor?