Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Variegated jackfruit?

User
12 years ago

Earlier in the summer, I planted some jackfruit. One is cream-color variegated--all the others from the same fruit are green. Is this unusual?

Comments (18)

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Yah, that's quite unusual. Do you have any pictures?

Jeff

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a pic taken this afternoon.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

That's pretty slick! You'll have to keep us posted as to whether it keeps putting out leaves like that.

Jeff

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

What variety is the jak and where did you get the seeds ? Did you plant more than one seed, and if so, is this the only plant that is showing variegation ?

Rob

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have no idea as to the variety of the jackfruit. I purchased it in a local Korean market that tends to specialize in produce from Asia and the Caribbean (especially Jamaica). The fruit was quartered and I planted all the seeds from the piece I purchased. So far, this is the only one showing variegation. I just transplanted them into larger containers so growth should be increasing, and hopefully will be getting more variegated leaves. The Jackfruit was easy to grow from seed and nearly all the seeds I planted germinated. Did not have luck germinating Durian as these may have been refrigerated. Thanks for the input!

• gnappi
    12 years ago

There is a culture of collectors that pay big money for variegated "mutant" varieties.

See:

http://blog.agriculture.ph/tag/variegated-plants

• marinfla
    12 years ago

I didn't think refridgerating the seeds would destroy them as all the Bangkok Lemon seeds that I planted germinated after being in the fridge for 2 days.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lemons may not be as tropical as Durians, and two days in the fridge may not be the same as being shipped from Asia under refrigerated conditions for days on end. Don't know why else the Durians did not germinate. I'll try Durian again next growing season nonetheless.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

The reason your seeds did not germinate after refrigeration and Marin's jakfruit seeds did is simple. Jakfruit is tropical... but can take temps down to freezing. Durian are ultra-tropical....the trees will suffer die back with temps in the 40's.

Harry

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Your Durian seeds were probably frozen. Unless something has changed recently I don't think Durian can be imported unless it is frozen.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Every time I see Durians sold, they are out of open refrigerators/freezers (not sure of the temps they are stored at), but they are not being sold frozen--just cool. I don't know the temperature they are stored at while in flight. It might be into the 40's but it's most likely not frozen (wouldn't freezing ruin the fruit). By comparison, Jackfruits are sold without any type of cooling. Are there regulations distinguishing how Jackfruit and Durian may be shipped?--Just curious now.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

I didn't think refridgerating the seeds would destroy them as all the Bangkok Lemon seeds that I planted germinated after being in the fridge for 2 days.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

OH That's weird!!! I didn't repost that same post from days ago.... not sure how or why that happened! OOPS

• JoeP450
    12 years ago

Wow that is so awesome, I wonder what the fruit will look/taste like?!?!? Keep us posted with pics throughout its growth. Would you ever consider selling this?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, not interested in selling mine. But I did notice one being sold on eBay from Thailand--and it did not seem like that high a price. Is variegation really rare among them? Another question. Many sources seem to say that variegation makes a plant less robust and more temperamental to care for. Is this always the case? Some plants seem naturally variegated and rare in the "non-variegated" form.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Variegation is usually caused by a virus from what I understand. I have never understood the allure of variegation but there are many people that seem to go crazy about it. If it is caused by a virus, and even if it is not, there is less chlorophyll to produce what the plant needs to grow and thrive. Variegation can also be a transient thing. Some plants will go in and out of variegation as conditions change internally.

Harry

• gnappi
    12 years ago

I dunno about variegated being less robust. I have had (from previous owners) variegated ornamental plants alongside non variegated versions and they always had similar care needs.

I currently have a variegated "centennial" Kumquat and it's thriving with very little care in a pot. If this less robust issue is true, it can't be proven with my experiences having them.

Gary

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Gary - I would categorize the Centennial Kumquat as a more of an ornamental tree. For the most part the fruit is more for looks than quality eating. I do agree that it is a robust grower. With citrus, the variegated trees, Centennial and pink lemon, actually can be a little more hearty as insects tend to stay away from them meaning less need for treating for pests.

Rob