Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

Frost and avocados

Well, it froze here the last 2 nights for a couple hours in the morn, barely. I covered my year old Kona Sharwil with a tent made with sheets around the sides and a blanket on top... all is good!

But, in a few days, we're supposed to get even cooler. Anything recommended to set my mind at ease. Xmas lights? Blankets all around? Waking up at 3 am and spraying with water????

The guy at the Fallbrook nursery where i bought it said it's hardier than Hass, but I still am anxious.

I'm just wondering what the hell I'm going to do when the thing gets 15' high and wide.

Thanks.

Kevin

Comments (2)

• emmylovesmango
    9 years ago

When it gets 15' tall it shouldn't (in theory) need the extra care.. I might be wrong about your avocado but they get hardier with age and size (I have a Fantastic). One thing I do for my mangoes is (of course) put a tent around it.. if the temps are dropping below where I feel comfortable with just a tent, I'll string Christmas lights. Another thing I do is drape a sleeping bag on the ground around the base & trunk, and I throw a couple hand warmers in with the sleeping bag. You can get a pack of 10 from Walmart for like 5 bucks or something.. the kind that activate with air temps.. know the ones I'm talking about? They work great, last 8-10 hours and help keep the ground warm. Added bonus with the tent is that it contains some of the heat they give off. Some people use spaceheaters but I have too many trees to do that. Using the aforementioned measures has worked just fine :).

• emmylovesmango
    9 years ago

I should add, I don't use regular tents. I use the Nuvue frost tents they sell at home depot. They make them up to 52", and for bigger than that I use the Plankets with support setup around the trees so the material doesn't make contact with the tree.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!