Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Update on my potted Maha Chinnok mango tree.

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

I have now had my Maha Chinook mango tree indoors for 2 months under my 600 watt HPS light. When I brought the tree in, it still had immature branches that were just starting to harden off.

Now, almost two months later, that growth is completely hardened off. The 8th branch is actually just starting to grow now. Most of those new branches are about 6 inches long now, and the buds at the center of the 7 branches are beginning to swell. I was just looking into Harry's post last year on the mango blooming season, and he reported that his Maha Chinook had bloomed around the 6th of December. Today is the 4th so maybe this new growth will be inflos? I know what everybody is going to say. I would be much better off to remove the developing fruits so the energy will go back into the tree and it can concentrate on growing larger.

What a tough call! I would rather not have the tree bloom at all so I don't have to make this decision! I know the tree iself is barely 4ft tall right now. I guess I should just remove them when the mango fruits are about pea sized so it wont turn around and bloom again.

I also wanted to ask a question about fertilizing. Since I am providing it with good light and heat, it is actively growing. I have a fertilizer that I got from Florida last year that claims that it can be used for mango trees but I don't want to just trust the label. The name of the fertilizer is Sunnyland Citrus, Avocado, and Mango fertilizer, 6-4-6.

The directions say to fertilize when blooms first appear in winter,and then make the second application around late spring, early summer. I got the tree in July and I pruned it in August about a month after getting it. When I noticed the new branches starting to grow, I fertilized it. I didn't follow the directions on the bag as they were meant for trees in the ground. I just sprinkled a light layer around the surface of the soil. Does that sound okay? I also avoided making cotact with the trunk.

Now, that I have been sucessfull with this mango(This is a first!), I am considering buying a Carrie. I can get it at a large greenhouse in PA for $25.00 and no shipping! Can't beat that! I will try and get a picture of it up today or tomorrow.

Thanks for any input!

Andrew

Comments (38)

• swrancher
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Andrew,

Since last spring I have been using Sunnyland fertilizer on my Mango trees with good results. Main reason that I went with that brand versus the others is the lower nitrogen content as my yard is muck based soil. In my yard I was putting it down about every 6 -8 weeks and the trees would have a growth flush a week or two later. I would be very sparing using it on a potted tree, so it does not burn the roots. Good luck with it.

I'm envious that you have a soon to bear Maha Chinook tree, I tried grafting one of Harry's tree's but the graft ended up not taking after a few weeks.

Tony

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Toni,
    I woul guess that I use maybe a tablespoon across the top of the tree. I then scratch it in with my finger tips. Do you think I could feed more than that, or should I just feed 3 times a year.
    Andrew

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Better to feed it lightly now, if you need too add a little more in future do it little at a time. Why risk using too much when it's better if the tree stays small and manageable anyway? You might want to add a little chelated elements too which seems to perk up my potted mango trees pretty well.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Andrew, Good to hear your Maha Chanok is doing well and thriving under your lights (I need to get one asap!). yeah, I too am envious lol. But I can't wait to see pics.
    -Bo

• mangodog
    13 years ago

...yes Andrew...we want Pics of this prized mango
    adventure!!!!!!

mangodoggy

• mangodog
    13 years ago

OK....so I've become a stalker of the Maha Chinook! I'm now obsessed with getting one after hearing all the comments on it and doing some google research....wouldn't it be cool if Ong's had one next saturday when I pay a little visit...?

The wonderful shape and color of the fruit is certainly intoxicating before even the first bite.....

Maybe Santa will have some mercy on me.....

A Jolly Mango Holiday to All!!!!!!!!

mangostalkerdog

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Andrew!

It is great to hear that your tree is doing good..Guess what I will be doing come spring?

I will be coming to you and Nancy for advice on what kind to get.
    Between Nancy's e-mail that I can not find nor the place that she suggested and your experience, I should come up with a tree that fruits well, grows fast, stays small, can take well to growing indoors during the winter and reward me with happy growth.

I can't wait to see your pictures.:-)

Good job!

Mike

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

mangodog i doubt you will find Maha Chinook at Ongs. if you are buying a mango tree look out for Cushman or good old Edward

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hey Mike! Welcome to this side of town! lol Good to see ya here in the tropical forum!!

I started with just one and now I have at least a dozen (and I told myself that was I only gonna get one).

Can't wait to see pics Andrew!

-Bo

• mangodog
    13 years ago

thanks, Mango K - i know it's a long shot for the maha chinook...sigh....i worry about the Edward tree not producing very much fruit...

I actually need a dwarfish tree for one location and a more medium sized tree for another.....should be interesting....

mangobeagle

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, here is a picture of the whole tree. I apologize for not isolating it so the pic would be better but it is hard to move my trees right now. I am STILL recovering from my back surgery last February. All the branches you see are a result of me "pugging" my tree. I waited to do this until I could remove the clear plastic bag. I want to say it was around the end of August when I did this. I was concerned that the growth wasn't going to have enough time to mature before I brought it in. As it turned out, it wasn't mature but the HPS light did it's job. I still have to practice posting multiple pics. Does anyone know if updated photobucket will let you copy and paste more than 1 picture at a time? I am going to copy and paste the close up of what I am convinced is an inflo bud.
    Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful:

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Here's your admittedly beautiful and healthy Maha Chanok. ( :

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is a blurry picture but I am going to try again. I have to play around with my camera to see if I can get a more detailed pic of the inflo bud. I know that the bud is still small but below the main bud, I can see tiny little dots that look like the buds that grow beneath the inflo. Regardless of what they are, I am just happy to FINALLY have a thriving mango tree, but I really believe that these will be inflos. They took quite a while before they actually started growing but now, they are progressing much faster.
    Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful:

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congrats Andrew...Great job! Can't wait till you taste your very first fruit! Looking forward to updates!

Great to see you over here Mike!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Looks good, Andrew. Looks like you've got a great start on a great tree. Good luck with it!

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Harry,
    Thanks for the compliments. It was your thread about the mango with the best taste that got me here! Your advise and expertise has made it possible for me to get this far. I also know your a very busy man and the fact that you were so willing to take out the time to help me, really means a lot.

I still have a question for you. This tree is maybe 3 1/2ft tall now. What size pot do you think it should be in now? I believe that is a 5 gal pot. The way I think is that it is much better to keep them in a slightly smaller pot than they need to avoid root rot. That was part of the reason for my previous failures. I like to test the soil with a bamboo stake and if I push it in to the bottom of the pot, pull it out, and can feel a slightly damp soil, then I water. I have found that if I let it get more dry, then the tree will begin to wilt. That has never happened with this tree. Only with the mango trees I had last year.

My 600 watt HPS light maintains soil temps around 80 degrees. All these plants are in my bedroom, believe it or not, but it is the least drafty and also the warmest room of the apartment. Without the light on, the room's temps are around 75 degrees, and also not too humid. I think this is as close to optimum growing conditions I can get.

I am in no rush to repot until spring but I am wondering what would be the next best size to move that tree into would be. Since these fruits are so awesome, my intent is too let it get as large as I can handle. I am still hoping to add a Carrie, and Pickering, and possibly a Glenn. I don't have to deal with the heavy rains you have so I think I could get a pretty good tasting fruit. I know you have always said that what you like in a mango may not be what others like in a mango as far as flavor goes. I also am thinking that I may want another Thai mango, but I don't know if I want the Nam Doc Mai in fear that I don't get the #4 that people are talking about now. I am open to any of your suggestions. I do not know if I will make it to Florida this summer. I may go to Puerto Rico or to NYC.

Hi Nanci,
    I owe you a big THANK YOU for your pruning techniques. Though I am sad to have lost the 3 I had last year, I learned a lot about soil, watering, and fertilizing, and the biggest THE PUGG method! I have been growing platns for quite a long time now so I know more about the basics.

Do you remember me emailing you and saying how reluctant I was too prune it? I am so glad I got over that quickly. I have no doubt in my mind that I could have waited it out and my tree would have branched out on its own, but just like you said, it is easier to keep them pruned tightly so you can harvest the fruits easier.
    I never thought that I would be saying this to you Nanci(and I really hate too!)but it is also easier for us to move them indoors for our cold winters!
    I will proudly post pics of its progress. I have NEVER been more proud of an achievment. Well, a TROPICAL FRUIT TREE ACHIEVMENT!
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Andrew:

I'm probably not the person to answer the pot size question you pose. My growing of mangoes in pots is nothing like what you are trying to do. I can tell you that I generally agree that under-potting is better than over-potting.....but in my experience (which is not indoor growing at all) the pot size isn't really that important. Virtually all potted mangoes do well here if you don't kill them with too much care. As far as fertilizers, I only use time released formulations.....like Osmocote or Dynamite. Putting non-timed release fertilizer is is my view too risky. Root burn can happen virtually over night and your plant is gone. I would also underfertilize rather than over. Mangoes will thrive in vitually any type of soil. I personally prefer the Miracle Grow or Jungle Growth soils for my potted plants....but have grown in many other, less expensive soils quite successfully.

As far as blooming, any new flush from the terminal buds at this time of year through the spring warm up should be bloom. I have 4 Maha Chanooks in ground and one still in a pot (from an airlayer) that I am still experimenting with. Only one of the trees is actually showing bloom at this point. I am sure that the others will be coming along anytime now.

Harry

• mangodog
    13 years ago

...and Andrew I need to thank YOU for this topic post as I am now on the hunt for a M Chinook myself and your tree looks just great....keep up the good work and keep us posted as your "baby" grows and fruits....

mangodog

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Andrew...

Thank you for this great posting on your beautiful Mango trees!!!

I am glad you had me visit over on this side to read your post and i have enjoyed reading everyone else's interesting post as well...

Andrew, Bo and Mike have been wonderful friends who always ask about my Mango trees...I purchased a Glenn and a Carrie this past summer and have just let them be...they all seem fine but I know that I need to prune and fertilize them...I will admit that I am nervous about doing this and I know that my forum friends can sense this!!! LOL...I have no problems with my Palms...Plumerias...DR's but when it comes to my Mangos...well let's just say..I afraid that I will harm them since this is the first winter for them inside!!

I have been told that this is the time to prune...aka "Pugging" LOL...and that it will be good for them..Andrew has told me that Nancy has been a great help to him and so many others here are very helpful as well...

So when I get home from this trip, I will post pics of my trees and will welcome all of your experience and suggestions!!! Thank you to all of you (andrew, Bo and Mike) you guys are great forum friends and I appreciate what you have done for me...TKS!!

SInce I am new to this side of the forum...First of all...My name is Laura...I live in Virginia Beach, Va..zone 8...I love Palms Plumerias and am becoming addicted to C & S as well...I have always loved Mangos and never thought that I could grow them..but I never say never and I thought that I would give them a try!!! I am one of those Palm "zone pushers" and have had great success doing that..so now is the time to get my Mangos going with all of your help and suggestions...

Thanks to you all for getting me going on this...I know that I should have started sooner..but "things happen"
    LOL....

Hope to see and chat with you all soon...

Take care everyone!!

Laura in VB

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Laura,
    I have been thinking about this. I do see good growth on mine now but I know it is inflo growth. I also know that my light is strong enough to support it, so I don't worry about if the tree will be able to grow or not.

Have you noticed any good growth on your mango trees yet? How tall are they? The thing is, I wanted to keep mine smaller so I was willing to take the risk of pruning mine late in the year and knowing that mine would have to finnish maturing the growth indoors.

Once I know what kind of light you have, than I could help you more. maybe you could post pics of the trees here?
    Andrew

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Welcome Laura - I am mangodog (Gary from Palm Springs CA) - pretty new to this site, to growing mangos (other than an accidental success I planted 7 years ago), to learning so many new things about mangos and meeting neat acquantences here who are very willing to help.....i too cherish this site!

Say hi to Glen and Carrie - it's actually super lucky you live where u do to bring your mangos inside with all the weather terrorism Florida is going through now.....

will look for your pics to arrive......are you shoveling any snow today????

mangodog (yikes!)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Boy you are all so wonderful..

My name is "Mike" and I am new to this forum too to be with all my great friends..Pug, "Nancy" got me started with her most beautiful tree loaded with fruit, and then Andrew kept me going..lol..

Laura, Andrew and BO have all been a wonderful friends!...Since they are all growing these trees, it is my turn and I hope I get all the support I can get when I finally get one come spring..I did not even know this forum existed until "Pug" told me..

I am from Massachusetts,20 miles from the east coast in
    Zone 5. I have collections of Citrus trees, all kinds of rare Jades, all kinds of Clivia, Plumeria, now getting into Desert Roses, and my new obsession, Hoya's...All the same plants that every one of my friends like here..I also think I am starting to like agaves...Now all I need is to collect Mango's..I love Andrew's>>

Hi Laura, so happy to see you here with me along with everyone else!

Hi Bo, Andrew, Mangodog,Mango, Swrancher, Hmhausman, and Pug! You have all been an inspiration to me and I am proud to know all of you thus far..This site seems very friendly, something I miss on others..

Thank you..

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Welcome Laura and Mike...you guys will love this forum! Best bunch of people around, very helpful and give their advise freely! Can't find a nicer group of people!!

Can't wait to convert you both...welcome to the Fruit addiction! Will be waiting for pictures once you take the plunge!

Mangodog is right...Potted mangoes are much safer this time of year, with these brutal temps we've been seeing lately!

Nancy

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Laura - welcome and good to see ya here!! Your palms, plumerias and DR have been very much an inspiration. You will soon find yourself wanting to grow more than mangoes lol

Hi Gary, Pug, Mike and Andrew!

I think it was Harry that said that if you're lucky enough, the tropical fruit bug bites you! ( :

Happy growing All,

-Bo

• mangodog
    13 years ago

MeyerMike(I want to say Mike Meyers who I met one time) - i can't remember if you said, but do you grow your stuff in a greenhouse or inside big house windows? I used to live in upstate NY till 1981 and tried to grow all kinds of stuff in south facing windows, which sort of worked, but I noticed the form of forced air heating prevalent in the east really dried things out....

anyway, I'll be curious to see how a potted mango does for you. Looks like you do have lots of room for plants.....

Buena Suerte....

MangoHollywoodDog

13 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Thanks for the "welcome" Mangodog and Pug!!!
    Also to Bo, Andrew, Mike and all of you friendly folks!!

I have taken pictures of My Mango trees and will post a new thread to share with all of you...

Mangodog...we haven't had any snow here as of yet...last week we had flurries and it was very cold for VB...this weekend they are calling for temps in the mid 50's and then that Artic Blast is going to cause our temps to really drop!! They are calling for lows in the mid 20's during the end of the week, and we are not use to temps that low so early in the year!! But, all of my plants/trees are in and ready for the winter...Must be nice to live in Palm Springs!!! "Lucky Dog" LOL.... Carrie and Glenn say "Hi!!"

Thanks again for the greetings everyone...I am excited to hear your advice on my Mango trees!!!

Take care Everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HEy Mangodog,
    Sorry this took me so long but you can get the Maha Chinook mangofrom Frankies in Hawaii. Just be prepared to pay a hefty price for it! IT cost me about $100 or so but once you eat the fruits, you will realize it was worth even more!
    Andrew

• mangodog
    13 years ago

HI Andrew and VB Laura - Frankie's eh???? I've seen their website - I think you got your's there, right, and you said it was super healthy if I'm not mistaken. Yep, $100 (per plant) is about what I paid for A PIN delivery 6 weeks ago....but yes, it seems to be a fascinating plant and fruit so I just need to do it.

Actually I will also call PlantOGram to see if they have them as well....

And yes, Lauralie, I love living in PS - just moved here permanently from L.A. about 1 1/2 years ago (it was just a weekend house out here for the first 6 years we owned the place)and that was the best thing I've ever done I must say!

But I'm very lonely as far as Mango addicts in my area here in the Coachella Valley - I've seen one huge Tommy Atkins at a house not to far from here (I'm just guessing it was a planted seed from a store 15-20 years ago) and another lady I know has two tall thin trees that drop almost every single fruit every year and they are also at least 10 years old IMO...and then there's that armed and guarded 30,000 Keitt tree orchard at the east end of my valley - haven't checked them out yet...I'll need courage and stealth I think...

anyway thanks guys...mangowagging

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mangodog,
    IF you can find the Maha Chinook anywhere else, please let me know. As far as being able to tell you that I have ate specific varieties of mango, I cannot do that but I can tell you that out of what I have had here in my local groery stores(usually pretty crappy!), Florida(pretty darn good!) and Puerto Rico(very good fruits!) the Maha fruit was probobly in the top 2 of my mango tastings.

I wish I had neighbors that loved mango! I did a double take about 5 years ago when I saw mango trees at a nursery about 45 minutes away. That was one time but I am working on it. They should be bringing my Carrie mango up from this tropical fruit expo in Florida. I can't wait!
    Andrew

• mangodog
    13 years ago

I'll let you know A-Drew whatever I find out and end up ordering......

MahaMangoPup

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Mangodog, here in Socal we don't really have a hardcore mango growing culture like Florida. Yes, you will see them in the Asian and Hispanic communities other than that they're few and far between. It's a shame I should have started growing them 30 years ago by now I would have a nice collection and some valuable information to past alone to my fellow Southern Californians. We'll just have to wait for Feb. for our tour in Anaheim Hills.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wanted to update this post again. Back in December my 'Maha Chinook' flushed again and all of the branches put out anywhere between 3 and 6 inches of growth. The branches on the top put out the most.

Now, thios growth has matured and I picnhed the central buds on the mature growth hoping that it will result in the new growth that forms to also branch.

What I want to know now is is it okay to weigh the branches down so they grow out sideways instead of straight up?? It would make it much easier for the artificial light to penetrate the branches during the fall and winter.

Andrew

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I've never done it, but I don't see amy harm in doing it. Mangoes naturally do this when branches are weighed down by the weight of the fruit from the terminal of the branch. So...go for it!

Harry

13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say "hello"..I was looking at my Mangos today..the temps were in the 60's for the day...then back down for tomorrow...I had the "pugging fever" in my head..and I even had the the tools..."in my hand" LOL..
    I can't wait to "pug" my Mango...it is calling me to do this!!!

Take care everyone...

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Hi ANdrew..Bo..Pug.. MIke, Gary...and eveyone else that i have missed!!!

Laura in VB

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Laura! I have to pug 3 of my Severely freeze damaged mango trees myself...I can't wait to do it too...its SO bad looking right now...it really needs it bad! Good luck with yours!

Andrew, I've never done that either...let us know how it works for you if you decide to do it...lots of luck!

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Hi Laura!

I see the "pugging" thread is alive and kicking again! Like you, Puglvr, I've got some frost pugged mangos, too. I'm not sure I'll have to do any pugging of my own..

HEY ANDREW - remind me again - where did you get your Maha Chinook? That is really startin' to bug me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET?????????

Do I have to post an award, a finder's fee or something...........

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HEllo Mangodog,
    You can save the finder's fee. I got mine at Frankies nursery in Hawaii. I don't know why it is so rare. I don't think much was known about it. I think it is Harry's fault! He probobly was responsible for introducing them to the continental U.S. I really don't know how long Frankies has had there tree.

I do know that if your interested you have to let Frankies know now. There only grafting trees to order now. Apparently, this variety does not fruit well in Hawaii. Just google Frankies nursery.
    Andrew

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Now I'm having a bit of "ground hog day!" I think we discussed this in a earlier thread and what I didn't tell you was 6-7 weeks ago I called Frankie's and they said they don't ship ANY mangos to CA or AZ or perhaps other locations as well. I guess Florida is OK, I don't know....but that is why I can't get it from Frankies - they don't grow them in the USDA approved process or something that the restricted states require.....

So that source is out....for now.....but thanks, Andrew

I'll just keep limping along with a big hole in my dreams........

mangodingo

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz