Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to germinate Carambola (star fruit)

Posted by dlingy PA (papa_fruity@msn.com) on
Wed, Dec 27, 06 at 13:48

I just got about 10 starfruit seeds yesterday out of a star fruit. Does anyone have any germination tips?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to germinate Carambola (star fruit)

Ive successfully started starfruit, but its keeping the plants alive thats difficult for me! Ive started them using the paper towel method of wrapping the seeds in a damp paper towel and putting it in a sealed (though I poke a couple of small holes in the bag using a protractor) baggie, and placing it on top of my refrigerator. Ive also planted seeds in soil or peat, sealed in a baggie, and placed it on top of the refrigerator too. Good luck!

o

I planted 3 seeds in compost in a propagator and have 2 health plants now. They lose there lower leaves often but grow more rapidly even in the cold. at the moment as they are in a cold bedroom and its winter at the moment but they are very attractive plants and seam easy to grow. Love the way the leaves fold up like mimosa when touched. Bit slow in the cold though.

o

Stay away from fertilizer for a loooonnngg while. They'll grow straight up like a weed and won't be able to support themselves.

o

never new that thank you.

o

As for the fertilizer, it's from my own experience. I've also read somewhere before not to fertilize them. Beautiful plants and I couldn't believe how big they were getting...and when I say big, I mean tall. The first time I misted them, the whole plant just fell over! Ended up having to cut them all back...which ruined the overall shape. I have one seedling going...probably 8 months. I just planted 11 more seeds last night. I want to graft one when it reaches a graftable size.

Keep a close watch for spider mites. These plants seem to be quite the magnet for them. It's unbelievable. These plants, while young anyway, do not take well to harsh sprays. So if they do show up, spray with water only or at most an soap solution. I lost a 3 year old plant due to an ongoing battle with these pests. It was prime size for grafting too. I remember sitting with my plant and for a couple of hours inspecting every single leaf! I would mash ever mite I could find and even wipe each leaf just in case. What a pain! But it did give me some satisfaction of killing the little you-know-whats! Man, I hope it hurt!

o

It pays to know not to fert, I tried twice on star fruit, all end up being 8 feet tall in a year and knee down finally. It doesn't look pretty. I ferted them like a hell.

The most cruel way to kill spite mites is not by mashing. Actually by using soay water, spray the whole plant and then cover with a big plastic bag, oh, man, that's like a slow cooker, they must start crying right away.

o

I germinated some when I was moving once . I found some in a store along the way and I couldnt pass them up. I got a couple styrofoam containers from a taco bell (the ones the rice come in) Put potting mix in and moistened it -poked a few holes in the lid and in the bottom. I forgot about them and they stayed in my car for 2 wks. lol! Most of them sprouted anyways by the time I found them. I think it is more mportant to have fresh seed, heat and humidity.
~SJN :P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here