Mangoes Online

Man-Go-Bananas
12 years ago

OK, I have narrowed it down to a few different types,

- Bailey's Marvel

- Carrie

- Ice Cream

- Valencia Pride

I found a Bailey's marvel 7 gallon (7 gallon would be preferred) at TT, but I have heard negative things about them. I know PI has the same tree in 3 gal, but I was hoping for a 7 gallon tree. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, MGB

Comments (4)

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Pine island nursery doesn't ship 7 gallon trees, I suggest you to contact Plant-O-Gram to get your mango trees. He doesn't charge a lot for shipping and he has great trees. He always throw a free plant in his shipment and I think if you have a big order he could throw more. Mickey doesn't ship 7 gallon trees ,but his 3 gallon trees are 4-6 feet tall.

Samuel Forest

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I know PI doesn't ship 7 gal, but TT does. Thanks for the recommendation though. I really just wanted to know if TT was reliable...

Thanks anyway, MGB

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

MGB - if you haven't already done so, you might want to check around the Houston area (I believe that is where you said you were from), to see if you can find out what types of mangoes "thrive" in the area. Its easy for someone from a different zone in a different state to give advice bu that advice may not be the best for your locale and conditions. I would not put any mango in a true cold hardy class. Think of this, it would be easier to protect a variety/tree that grows smaller and bushier than one that is tall and vigorous.

Without any knowledge of what "works" in your area, I would be hesitant on going with a recommendation from someone in Fla or Cali for a variety that is optimal in Houston (again, assuming I am correct about your location). I would hate to see you "waste" years on growing a variety that will not give you any fruit or if it does, fruit that gives you no enjoyment (for instance, if you read through some of the posts, you will see that some people in Cali grow certain varieties that have little resemblance to how they grow in SFla...what might taste and look in one locale may not be the same in another).

As for picking a variety, my opinion (understand this is mine only and am not trying to sway your choice), is that is you haven't tasted any of the varieties you are contemplating is to try and do so first. What one person like another might hate (taste is VERY subjective). Personally, and this is me only, with all of the varieties available, only the Baileys is decent out of the four you named. As a matter of fact, Carrie and Val Pride are in my bottom tier, with Carrie being right close to the bottom. By the same token, there are many who absolutely love Carrie (as I said, it is subjective to each person's taste and preference).

Rob

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rob. I have a few nurseries around my area that sell Mango trees. Both places only sell large trees. I will probably check back with them in spring, as they also sell banana trees. I have heard the same as you that smaller trees are always easier. That's why I have 2 Pickering and two NDM. Good condo mangoes. I also have a nice Glenn, but I have no idea what to do with it and might end up selling it. It is currently 7 gallon, but in desperate need of an up-size. I will probably move it up to a 15 or 25 gallon in the near future as it has no flowers or fruit. As for the varieties that my local nursery has to offer... Haden, Kent, Alphonso, and (one) Glenn. These all had Zill's tags.

Does anyone have any input on the TT situation? I am looking at a 7 gallon Rosigold from there.

Another point of discussion... What is the best mango fertilizer
    -for new growth?
    -for fruit/flowers?

Thanks Again, MGB