Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajaysr5

December Update for So.Cal tropical....

ajaysr5
14 years ago

Here is some December pictures of my tropicals.All plants have been outdoor growing..

Carrie Mango#1 looking really nice......

Carrie Mango#2 looking real good and flushing flowers..

Honey Tangerine...1st year it fruited..fruits about ready to be eaten soon:-)

{{gwi:582922}}

Mango "Nam Doc Mai" and Valencia orange in the background

almost ready to be eaten.

Avocado Dwarf "Little Cado"starting to bloom going on the ground this year..

Comments (14)

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A few more pics..
    Mango "Manila" My fastest growing tree..

Lycee "Brewster" growing well and also going on the ground this year..

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Ajay,
    Your tropicals look great! Any chance of getting fruit on any of your mangoes? Love the lil cado!
    Andrew

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Andrew,Carrie#2 had 6 fruits last year so I expect to get fruit from it this year,Carrie#1 should also set fruit this year,and as far as the other type will have to see because Mangos in So Cal.blossom January through April.I do not know why this year Carrie#2 is blossoming so early.
    Florida I beleive have there mangos in blossom now..

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Yep your right. Florida has had there mangoes blooming for awhile. I am anxious to see how the bloom cycle will be for me when they are ready. The cooler climates are at diffrent times at diffrent areas in the country. My cogshall bloomed in October and according to my tag it says fruit ripen June-July. Lancetilla is supposed to be late and Julie I believe is a June fruit also. I don't think any of mine will bloom when they would in Florida because mine don't experience the outdoor cool weather in winter. Maybe I will have blooms in spring when they can go outdoors again. How tall is the Carrie that you picked 6 fruits from? Just curious, I thought maybe I could use it as a reference for my Julie. As of now, it is the largest out of the three but if my Lancetilla makes it thru the hard pruning, I think the Lancetilla will surpass the Julie's height fairly quickly. Thanks for the great pictures.
    Andrew

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carrie with fruit last year is about 5-5.5 feet now..During the growing season I used Alaskan fish emulsion to fertelize my mangos every 3 weeks.I also apply citrus and avocado fertilizer once a year in the beginning of spring.Will see how many fruits this Carrie will produce this year,I will try to have 8-10 fruits this year.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Ajay, congrats on all your trees...all look fantastic. Sometimes cold and dry conditions can cause blooms on your Mango trees. I only have one of my mango tree blooming right now and its my smallest/youngest one I have,lol...

Great job and Good luck!

• jlgarden53
    14 years ago

Ajay, All your trees look great. Your Nam Doc Mai seem has grown a lot. When did you get it?

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

really nice pics. keep em coming

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jlgarden,i got the nam doc mai last june it has grown about a foot maybe a little more.

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here is a pic of the Ice cream mango...

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Ajay,
    Wow all your mangoes look excellent, maybe I should give that Alaskan fish emulsion a try. Looks like you have awesome results! I am not planning on any more mangoes because I simply don't have the room right now, I would like an asian variety some day. I am going to buy a navel orange. For me it is a toss up between navel and blood for the best orange. I have a small dwarf moro, and I will have the navel in January hopefully. What navel do you think has the best flavor?
    Andrew

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Andrew78,I have Valencia orange and its very sweet and nearly seedless.I also have many lemon tree..check this site out..www.lavernenursery.com I do not know if they sell there tree in the east cost but laverne is a major distributou of citrus tree in california along with others.Citrus in california grows like weed.No problem at all..

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Ajay,
    I don't have to worry qbout ordering. I know a local nursery here that sells them. The owner is going to a citrus show. He is going to call me when he is there so I can tell him what I want and he will pick it up for me.
    Andrew

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

i have
    temple, red cara cara oranges, duncan, flame grapefruits, samboken, varigated pink eureka lemons, key lime, meiwa kumquat, buddha hand citron all in 25 Gal containers

leaf miner really destroyed the temple orange and half of the flame grapefruits foliage causing alot of stem dieback. i might get rid of them if they give me alot of problems this spring.