Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango bonsai for space conscious folks

Posted by esco_socal San Diego 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 11 at 16:13

I was actually thinking of espalier mango trees, how we can train them to fit in the smallest of space yet fully exposed to the sun. Has anyone attempted this on mangos?

Tim

these are some pics of mango bonsais via google search

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango bonsai for space conscious folks

WOW ------- I want one!!! :'-(

(Crying face...)

o
waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhoooooooo!

WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I have a manila mango seed that has sprouted just about a week ago, and I am going to use it to make a "Manila Bonsai". The root looks really cool, almost like it is dwarfing itself... PERFECT for bonsai.

Manila Mango Seed, Manila seed- Notice how the root is almost

The root almost just comes to a stop and then launches fibrous mini-roots out the sides.
YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

o

There are some folks Down Under who have espaliered just about everything imaginable, including mango (well not coconut and NOT jackfruit!). Take a look:

http://www.rarefruit-sa.org.au/Espalier/Espalier.htm

o

I never thought of trying a mango bonsai. I might try to graft a pickering this summer to try something like this.

o

Is anyone else in agony about seeing a mango bonsai'd????
Espalier, yes, for those with limited space perhaps, but to bonsai a tree that gives such wonderful fruit - it's cruel and unusual punishment in my opinion.

But each to his own....

mangogrrrrrrrr

o

mangopooch, I feel the same on most forms of art :)

Tim

o

I believe Ethan has an espalier Valencia Pride in Central California.

JF

o

There was a thread on the bonsai board and some debate as to if the trees work since the leaves are still quite large.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 1:32

That's incredible! Love those tiny plants, but I refuse to wear pink!

o

Good memory JF, my VP produced three yummy fruits this year and will hopefully double that production next year (and so on).

-Ethan

o

looks like the leaves of these bonsai mango trees matches the size of the tree.

o

I think it is incredibly cool. I've seen tamarind, grumichama, jaboticab, miracle fruit, and some others as bonsai, but I thought some of the mango pics looked nice. Just goes to show that darn near anything can be done to any type of tree. Whether it should or should not be done is a personal choice.

o

Ethan - do you have any recent picture showing your entire VP tree, I'd love to see what it's looking like with training so far.

As for an ideal bonsai cultivar, I think the Falang/Falan tree Harry has would be great. Outside of that, I don't know if anyone else has this tree.

Tim

o

Congrats Ethan!

Did you do an espalier on your VP because it's easier to protect?

JF

o

Tim, here is a pic from last spring w/some of the GH still in place, it grew like crazy this past year and was whacked back to fit in the GH.

Photobucket

JF, yes.

Hopefully this next year I'm going to be grafting a few more varieties on it including Edward.

-Ethan

BTW, bonsai jaboticabas in bloom are about the coolest thing.

o

Hi Ethan,

You can come here in the spring and get your Edward but in one condition: I have two seedlings that I have for grafting. I need someone who knows what they are doing....maybe MangoDog will come and learn. We were going to hire a master grafter from Mimosa - we can't get anything to take.

JF

o

...lol....someday, JF, someday.....

mangopooch

o

Thanks JF,
I already have Edward and was going to plant it with it's own espalier but decided to graft onto my VP instead and save the room for something else.

If only we could get Jeff H. to come out to CA and show us mango grafting, that guy can graft about anything. I'm going to give grafting mangoes another try this year, might have learned a few tricks?

-Ethan

o

Or monsieur Hagen can create a video one of us can host through youtube if he wishes to remain anonymous :)

Tim

o

If you guys do decide to get together with a mango grafting party... I would love to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here