Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

SWRancher Fall Yard Update

swrancher
12 years ago

Here's some pictures of my yard taken this afternoon.

Maurituis Lychee

Tamarind

Bradenton Loquat

Alano Sapodilla

Neelum Mango (not much growth...)

Row of Mango trees in far back of yard, guess which is the Keitt?

Kent Mango

Keitt Mango

Maha Chanook

Coconut Cream Mango

Dot Mango

Rosigold Mango

Edward Mango

Ohia Lychee

Hak Ip Lychee

Graham Mango

Angie Mango

Biew Kiew Longan

Valencia Pride Mango

2 Pickering Mangos

Oro Negro Avocado

Carrie Mango plus chickens and ducks

Florigon Mango

My newest tree, a sweetheart Lychee

Thanks for looking.

Comments (42)

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

Wow.....

Very nice....I guess you give away a lot of mangos?

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Looking great!

• pikorazi
    12 years ago

WOW! Very nice collection...

• zands
    12 years ago

The chickens are working hard at getting something edible while the ducks are just strolling around like they own the world. For those outside S Florida...those are Muscovy ducks and they are everywhere

• squam256
    12 years ago

Nice pics Tony.

Has the Oro Negro given you any fruit yet? If so how was it?

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice yard! All your trees look healthy.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

How old is your carrie mango?

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Looking really nice, Tony. I guess you and I had the same idea. I took a bunch of pictures today also and am trying to put together a post right now. Keep up the good work!

Harry

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

Very nice trees.

I am also curious about the Oro Negro Avocado, have you tried them yet?

• johnb51
    12 years ago

Beautiful trees! Thanks for the pics. In a few years you'll have to open a fruit stand, and/or you'll be the best neighbor in the world!

• kobe24
    12 years ago

-sw rancher where are you located?-Florida or South Texas

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

Very nice yard and collection of mango varieties :). How old is the bigger of the two Pickering mango trees you have? And the age and height of your Alano sapodilla tree? I love the compactness of your Carrie tree. Seeing yours, as well as an in-ground one at Bender's Grove leads me to think it's much more bushy and dwarf than a similarly aged Julie.

But what I'd really like to know is:
    Where is the lovely Cushman mango tree you got in Feb this year? Your thread together with Harry's praise of it's consistently great flavor (ok...together with Zill ceasing propogation of it) enouraged me to get one. Is it still in existence?

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

So green and healthy. Very beautiful looking trees, Tony. Love the tamarinds, everything's compact and bushy. thanks for the pictures

Tim

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow that tamarind tree is amazing, so beautiful and tasty fruit. The yard is really filling in nicely, congrats.

-Ethan

• johnb51
    12 years ago

Do you have more than an acre? And you are west of Davie?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Do your mango trees have flowers coming yet? I couldn't see any...

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

Great tree selection! Your mango selection shows that you are no rookie! Your trees are very happy and healthy. Thanks for the pics!

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Tony,

Those mango trees are growing fast, nice and bushy!How long have you had them on the ground and are any of them flowering? How long did it take your Alano to fruit?

JF

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Tony,
    Your trees look great. What is your maintenance schedule for your trees? How often do you fertilize? What type of fertilizer do you use and do you ever have to deal with nutrient deficiencies? Do you ever prune them?

• guajiro
    12 years ago

Beautiful healthy trees! Thank you so much for sharing.
    My Maha Chanook is flushing with new growth as well. Did you prune yours recently?
    I am very curious as well to hear about your Oro Negro avocado. I have (a much smaller) one in my back yard as well.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing - neat to see your trees getting bigger!

• adiel
    12 years ago

Awesome Mango collection Tony. Congrats!

If you can do a taste test from your collection in 2012 and let us know your top pics that would be great.

Adiel

• swrancher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone sorry for the delayed response, I had a last minute work trip and was unable to get online for a few days. Thanks for all the kind words about my garden.

I have not yet tried my Oro Negro Avocado, hopefully it will fruit this coming season. My Carrie Mango tree is now going on three years old. I live in South Florida, west of Fort Lauderdale and Davie and have almost 2 acres. My larger Pickering tree was a very large 3 gal size when it was planted and has now been in the ground a little over two years. My only tree that currently has flowers is the Rosigold. My Nam Doc Mai had some blooms but I plucked the small fruits off a few weeks ago because the tree was only planted last spring. The Cushman Mango is doing excellent and has grown alot for some reason my camera did not save the picture of it, I'll post one tomorrow. My Alano Sapodilla has been in the ground a little over three years. Last season was its first fruiting and it made a couple fruit. This year its loaded down with fruit and I hope to start picking them any day.

As far as a maintainence schedule I'm big on using minors to keep my trees green and healthy. I fertilise twice each season. I also apply Potash each October to help the winter/spring bloom. I prune them every couple months or when something needs to be redirected. Although I have purposely been letting some of them grow out to put on some size.

• johnb51
    12 years ago

Thanks for the maintenance schedule! Sounds reasonable, and I'll keep it in mind when I get my trees in the ground.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Thanks Tony,
    I love all your mango pics but I'm now looking forward to some fruits on my Hasya next year. It's been flowering all year and growing very steady. I have two large branches growing BELOW the graft on my Haysa should I cut those off?

JF

• swrancher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

JF,

If it were me I would cut the branches below the graft before they get too big.

Tony

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

I agree with Tony. There isn't supposed to be any growth below the graft. That growth will suck the energy away from the scion.

Alexi

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey Tony, great update! It's wonderful to see all your plants progressing. You and Harry always make me so envious. I can't wait to see the updates of the fruit you get off all your trees.
    Simon

• jhl1654
    12 years ago

@ SWrancher. Everything looks so lovely. Where about do you live in Florida ? It's good that the Winter's been kind to you. Would you please post those pics again in the Spring. I am really hoping for a mild Winter this year.

@ Harry . It would very hard to compete with you.I appreciate SWrancher's pics and would love to have a yard with fruit trees like hers even though it wouldn't be close to Harry's yard. You two keep posting to make me drool. LOL

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Thanks Tony

I'll clipp them on Sunday.

JF

• swrancher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As promised here is a picture of my Cushman Mango planted last spring.

Here is my Brewster planted in the Summer.

This is my Ackee tree which had some radical pruning after getting hit hard in a wind storm a few months ago.

Maureen thanks for the compliments to my yard and I'm a He, LOL.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

That is a nice looking Cushman specimen. I hope it stays that nice as it matures (they tend to look a little ragged as they age). How big was it when you planted it ?

Get that dollar weed under control :)

Rob

• mango-maniatico
    12 years ago

Those trees are beautiful man.Can u please be more specific about the fertilizers that u use(npk numbers,minors brand,amount x tree,etc)
    Thanks

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

Love your Cushman and Alano tree. Thanks for the pictures and the info :).

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Tony Rancher - someday that will be 2 acres of bliss! Nice job and hope you get bunches of mangos this year - the mangos, well really everything, looks excellent.

Do you cover anything when a freeze threatens????

mangotango

• swrancher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I planted the Cushman as a nice sized 5 gallon tree last spring. Along with the squirrels dollarweed is my biggest cause of garden grief.

I'm not planning on covering my trees this winter they are starting to get to big to do it. Last year the only ones that died were the ones covered (they cooked) while the ones left unprotected did fine.

Here are the fertilzers and minors that I have been using. Normally I apply the minors monthly in season mixed at the package ratio (one tablespoon per gallon of water. The fertilizer is twice per season basically a handfull scattered under the canopy of each tree.

• jhl1654
    12 years ago

@ Swrancher. LoooooL . Sorry for calling you a she.

• mango-maniatico
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information Tony

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Nice! I notice you dont have to much damage from the Sri-Lankan Weevil. Where did you get the Sure-Gro? I bought a 50lb bag for my Bamboo, but not an 8-4-8, is it time released? It sure looks like they appreciate the care!

• jhl1654
    12 years ago

@pj1881 6 yrs ago I bought this 5 acre farm with all different varieties of bamboes on whole length of the property, both sides. Bamboos grow wild and you can't get rid of bamboo easily. I have never fertilized mine. I'd love to be able to remove some of them because I can only grow sugar cane close to the bamboos.

• mango-maniatico
    12 years ago

Tony,how r ur mangos doing?any flowers?i have nothing yet,jezz

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets