Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnb51

Enough Mango Variety?

johnb51
12 years ago

If I want to have mangoes from late spring through late summer with a variety of types and flavors but have room for only 4 small-to-medium compact trees (instead of 2 large trees), do you think I have the bases covered with these 4: Angie, Pickering, Mahachanok, and Neelum? What would be your 4 choices? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

The four you mention will acheive your desired result as well as any other four I could suggest. It will vary somewhat from year to year. And, you might have a few weeks towards the latter part of the summer waiting for Neelum....but overall, I think that is as good a selection as any, especially when size of tree is an important part of the equation.

Harry

• johnb51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Size and manageability of tree is a very important part of the equation, but I don't want to sacrifice top flavor and eating quality.

• zands
    12 years ago

Where can you even get an Angie? I would go with Gold Nugget for latish season. Pine Island has that one. Your mango trees don't have be non-touching. Some here have planted large mango hedges. Plant and prune as you see fit.

But you have the plan. More variety trees for a longer season. Old plan was one large mango shade tree in the back yard

• johnb51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@squam256: My buddy has a Keitt (an excellent mango), and he always gives me some. Tree's too big for my situation, though.
    @zands: I did consider Gold Nugget but figured it's too large. I covered Angie in another post--Fairchild Mango Festival will be the only place to get it, at least until July 2012. Mango hedge is an interesting concept. I read somewhere else to plant 4 avocado trees in one hole, avocado being the other fruit of which I want multiple varieties to cover a long season. (My family is addicted to avocado in our salad!)

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Keitt is not a variety that I would ever consider if space is an issue. If you have never had a Neelum, I suggest you wait till next season and taste one before you go with it. I personally like them but it is a variety that I have found to have mixed reviews by mango lovers. Mallika is another dwarf/compact exceptional variety to consider...otherwise, great choices.

Rob

• zands
    12 years ago

johnb51 FL
    Anyone who wants 4 mango trees and 4 avocado trees is a player. This means you are a pruner or will be. You should feel free to plant any mango tree, even if described as vigorous grower, you just prune accordingly.

Look at this thread and his fantastic results --->>>> http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1222445314042.html?9

You are in control. Maybe just three mango trees and grown the way pj1881 is doing will give you want you want. I will be copying some of his program. Going by his results so far he will be getting more fruits from fewer trees

• zands
    12 years ago

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/BOC_explained.html

The objectives of Backyard Orchard Culture are

• The prolonged harvest of tree-ripe fruit from a small space.

• Many fruit varieties may be be planted close together.

• The trees should be kept small by summer pruning.

Dave Wilson's YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3_u08CwdY

ÃÂ

• mangodog
    12 years ago

John:

Just want to add that my young Keitt held mangos for months, so i'm looking at it as the ultimate late season stretcher. I picked the first one in late aug. (hard green) and ate it in Sept., then picked the last one (hard + green) in early November and ate it on Thanksgiving, and I think it would still be on the tree today or perhaps ripening enough for a Christmas taste if I hadn't picked it.

I'm in SoCal so could behave a little different for you in Florida. Just planted a Kent last month as I heard that is late season too, but this Keitt got me seasonally very excited!

mangomastiff

• johnb51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, zands, for the Dave Wilson links. Fascinating and useful information. I know the general principles apply ("JUST DO IT!"), but are all their techniques applicable to tropical trees?