Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samuelforest

What is the best condo mango?

samuelforest
12 years ago

Hello guys! This spring I'm going to get another mango tree ,but this time I'll buy a 7gal plant!

I would just like to know what's the best condo mango between NDM,Carrie,Cogshall,Fairchild,Ice cream,Lancetilla and Pickering (I don't know if I forgot some ,but if yes, tell me) with the criterions of :

-Tasting

-Disease resistance

-Size of the tree

-Production

Any help would be greatly apprecied, since I never tasted a real fresh mango off of a tree.

Samuel Forest

Comments (9)

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Have you considered Maha Chinook? It may be a slightly larger tree but I hear very good things about it. From the varieties you listed, people are going to tell you it depends on your personal taste preferences but Pickering, NDM and Cogshall are all highly recommended. Some people really like the Carrie Mango but there are others that really disslike the taste.
    Simon

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Hey Simon, what's your email? I tried emailing you but wasn't sure if I had the right address.

Tim

• samuelforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I considered the maha chanook, but the only place where I can get it, it's from plantogram. Plantogram will charge me 260$ for a 3gal Maha Chanook in total to ship it to Canada, so that's a lot expensive. Instead, I can buy form perry and get a 7gal tree for only 125$ and 65$ for a 3gal, they are grafted and they come from Pine Island nursery. I'll contact Perry if he can get it.

P.S: Perry's nursery is flora exotica I have ordered from him.

Samuel Forest

• samuelforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Squam, but I'm not sure if pickering will be good for me because it's an early producer, I don't how and when it will fruit in Canada too. Cogshall might be the winner for me ,but I'll wait for other opinions.

Thanks again
    Samuel Forest

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Since mango tree rate of growth (and rate of fruit growth) is highly dependent on ambient temperatures, an early season mango in South Florida would generally be a late season fruiter in a cooler climate. That's why we see Glenn mangoes ripening into November in California while here in South Florida the Glenn fruits 4 to 5 months earlier (in May and June). It's also why March/April blooms can almost catch up with November/December blooms on the same tree (because the rate of fruit growth during the south florida "winter" months is so slow).

A really important angle to look at here is precocity. While just about any grafted mango tree will flower in a 3 gallon pot and set a few pea sized fruits, not all mango trees like to actually carry them to maturity in such a constricted environment. Ultimately you don't want to wait until the tree is in a 15-25 gallon container and 4 years old for it to actually carry a fruit to maturity. In that regard, the pickering is one of the most precocious trees I've seen. It will actually carry fruit to maturity in a 3 gallon container. It's also quite productive (aside from being very delicious, disease resistant, etc). For those reasons, the pickering would likely be my selection.

Jeff

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

I say Pickering too, because even though I haven't gotten a fruit yet (purchased in spring), I have heard great things about the flavor. The dwarf growing habit is extremely handy for moving the tree around (into the garage, etc). The tree is also (in my case) fairly cold hardy. I forgot to take it in one night and it got below 40* F (just my luck). It turns out it got down to 31* F and when I inspected it in the morning, NO DAMAGE and all the new growths were still in-tact. It wasn't even covered! I also think there might be an inflo or two coming- (see my 'Flowers or New Growth' thread). Overall, even without the taste test, I would rate the Pickering a 10/10. Great little (literally) tree. Good choice for a pot.

~MGB~

• samuelforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does it taste like coconut? Some people say it has a coconut flavor.

Anyone using 1-1-1 gritty mix for their mango trees? I was planning on planting the future tree in it.

Thanks for your responces.
    Samuel Forest

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

I can't give you any suggestions. But based on my personal experience growing a Lancetilla. I would say this is NOT a dwarf tree. It's in a continuous growing flush since this summer, unfortunately all the new growth are upright. It wants to grow tall and big instead of wide and small.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County