Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samuelforest

I need some information about pugging mango trees.

samuelforest
12 years ago

Hi guys! I would like to pug my mango tree, but I don't know when should I pug it and where? I know that I need to pug it above the graft line ,but at what height?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Comments (5)

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Sam - Even though your plants are indoors for the winter, wait until next year when your weather warms. I would normally say in the no earlier than the Spring time when all chances of damaging cold have passed. This is also when the trees usually begin the ability to safely push vegetative growth (the winter month they more focus on root growth and blooms). Knowing you are in Canada, I am not sure what your temps are and when you would usually put the trees back outside. What are your average lows/highs for March, April, May ?

As far as height, as you stated, you need to be safely above the graft. With that said, and not knowing how high the grafts are, you cold be safe by going 24+ inches above the graft though I have seen some pugged as low as 18 inches.

Rob

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Sam...search on some old posts on pugging. Pug does hers just a few inches above the graft...ballsy I know...but there is no arguing how nice her trees come out looking.

Rob is right though...wait until spring or at least when the plant looks to be starting a vigorous growth push.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Ballys is not the word if you do it only a few inches above the graft. First off, if you have any healing issues you are screwed, Second, you need to give sufficient space for the new branches to emerge above the graft. Doing it only a few inched above the graft, especially depending on the height of the graft, may promote growth from below the graft.

Rob

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Ballys should be ballsy :)

• samuelforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all your responses.

You're right Rob I'll wait until spring and think about it at this time of the year. I'm just really worried about the tree because it has not grow since I had it. I repot it twice thought, the first time in summer and the second not a long time ago because of bugs problems! It may be in cause. As the temperature forget in March outside. Last year we had a snowstorm in respite vacations. By mid to late April I could let it outside ,but only in the day with highs of 60F if I'm lucky. For May I think it could be always outside ,but here the average of the last frost is mid may ,but this year the first frost was at halloween instead of mid october, so it's really not precise. The highs in May are close to 65F-67F ,but there could be always a suprise. That what is a continental climate.

Ohiojay, do you have some mango trees in bloom? I would like to see some pictures of you big greenhouse. :)

Samuel Forest