Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtw7983

Mangos and clay soil

gtw7983
12 years ago

I'v been collecting mango trees and growing them in pots in Corona, Ca (USDA 9a, sunset zone 18 or 19). I really want to plant them out in the ground but the heavy clay soil I have in the yard makes me scared of killing these mango trees which are pretty expensive for us in CA. My soil is grey in color almost looks like concrete or mortar. It is soup like when wet and rock hard when dry and of course the drainage is bad. When I first moved here andstarted landscape my yard in 08, i added truck loads of compost to the yard and rotor tilled them in the upper 12 inches of the whole yard. I also dig holes about three feet deep and planted fruit trees and palm trees in with 70/30 mix of compost and the original clay soil. During the past three years, a couple trees died and some of the remaining ones are doing fine and some still struggling. I read from somewhere that the old rule to amend planting holes is not popular anymore because it traps the roots in a big underground pot and sufocates them; especially for poorly drained soil, planting trees in unamended soil is recommended.

What is your experience growing mango trees in poorly drained clay soil? Any advice will be appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Comments (6)