Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnb51

June Mango: What's Better than Glenn?

johnb51
12 years ago

I thought I was going to plant Glenn for my June-ripening mango, but it looks like Glenn is not a favorite of the most passionate mango-lovers here although many others seem to really like it. I know what you mean when you say Glenns can be watery or washed-out in flavor as I had eaten many from my friend's tree before Hurricane Wilma destroyed it in '05. SOOOO...What do I plant instead that ripens at the same time with more consistent and richer flavor AND A SMALL-SIZE TREE. Is Pickering a better alternative? Any other suggestions? (This forum is an excellent resource. Thank you all very much--in advance!)

Comments (17)

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

I've heard Pickering has a very pina-colada taste. I have two trees, almost a year old (from shipping date), in 7 gallon pots, and one is about 5 feet. The other is only about 2 feet, and looks like a miniature mango-bush thing. Definitely a compact grower. I would recommend it. Sorry to hear about your friend's Glenn tree... that's a bummer. I have a Glenn myself, but it hasn't fruited yet as it is very small (4ft). GOOD LUCK!

MGB

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

In the olden days the early season mangos I had access to were small yellow ones, maybe Saigon? And every year when I tasted them I would think, "Damn, whatever made me think that mangos are fantastic?" Then the mid-season mangos would come along and I would think "Oh, yeah."
    I planted a Pickering this year, but haven't actually tasted it. I sure hope it is as good as I've heard.

• swrancher
    12 years ago

I have two Pickering trees planted and its now one of my favorites. Last season was my first good fruiting year with it. I didnt really notice much of a pina colada or coconut taste that many claim it has just an excellent tasting mango I highly recommend.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Though it is a small, compact tree, Pickering is not a true early season mango, I would say it is a June mango (as some ripen earlier than June). I wouldn't really call them having a pina colada taste but more of just a coconut-mango taste (yes, with varying degrees of coconut).

Other than Glenn, you have Carrie (which if I had to choose between the two, I would go with Glenn), Florigon, Rosigold, and a handful ripening in early June.

Rob

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

My hamster does not like Glenns :)

Rob

• murahilin
    12 years ago

I am here to defend my palette. Jeff's Glenn's were great. It was one of the best mangos I had this past summer. As Jeff said it can't beat a LZ but it is quite good. I have had watery Glenns but I think that may depend on the soil type, recent rain and other factors.

Jeff, has your tree consistently been good?

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Sheehan - while I have never had Jeff's Glenns, I have had Glenns that very from outstanding peachy topical flavor with great texture and sweetness to watered down specimens that were not worth eating.

As many fruits, in addition to its origin, I agree it most likely has to do with soil type, climate/environment (temps, sun, water, etc.), care (fertilizer/supplements), etc.

Rob

• murahilin
    12 years ago

I can't wait to try my first watery LZ. Let's see who can accomplish that feat first. We should have a worst tasting LZ competition next year. We all meet and bring one LZ fruit. Who's in?

• sleep
    12 years ago

Angie is also a very nice tree, and it tastes great. I prefer it to Glenn, as I find it more complex and less watery.

My wife and kids prefer the Glenn, and rank it as #1.

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

My first three mango trees were Glenn, Keitt, and Kent. I considered Glenn a good beginner's mango -- in a good way. It was liked by pretty much everyone, and ripened dependably. As soon as it smelled good it was good to eat.
    Flavor-wise I liked the Keitts and Kents better, when they were at their best. But they sometimes developed an off-flavor, either from user error or some sort of internal breakdown.

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

Speaking of Angie, is anyone selling it in Florida? Or do I have to wait till the next mango festival at Fairchild?

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I think you will have a hard pressed time finding an Angie. I don't know of any nurseries selling it, not even Fairchild. Don't think Jeff has any either, but if do Jeff, please hold one for me :)

I know I was looking for one earlier in the year to no avail...maybe Harry will at least share a fruit with me this upcoming season :)

Rob

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

If only Glen tasted consistantly as good as it smells, we would have an undeniably fantastic mango. The fruits are good size and they are disease resistant. At my house, the flavor is always less than one would expect from a mango so well thought of with such a nice aroma. I have had Sleep's perfectly cared for Glens. I have not had Jeff's though. The mango is fantastic for dehydration as the flavor, once concentrated is really quite good. Other than that, the flavor of Glen just pales in comparison to some of the other top tier mangoes....at least as far as all the Glens I have tasted over the years, regardless of where, or by whom they were grown. I remember having this discussion with Crafton Clift and he indicated that he found the Glens he had had the same in regard to flavor lacking. Crafton has had a pretty good range of mango experiences under his belt over the years.

Angie is a good choice to consider instead of Glen. My small tree put out its first fruit this past summer and I was really impressed with the production of the tree, size of the fruit, overall disease resistance and, of course, flavor and texture. For me, it is right up there in the very top echelon of mangoes. For those that have not tried it (even you Rob), I will try to have a tasting this coming summer when it and other varieties are available and I again would be happy to have any forum folks over to try it out for themselves.

• squam256
    12 years ago

Had an Angie last summer (from Harry) and it was one of the best mangoes I had of the season. Good enough to convince me to plant one.

I asked about the pedigree and Noris Ledesma at Fairchild said they believe its an Edward seedling.

• johnb51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm... Maybe I can fit an Angie and a Pickering in the space a Glenn would take. Otherwise, perhaps I can discover the secret of producing Glenns that always taste fantastic!

• Laud
    10 years ago

We had a homegrown mango contest at work. I have the Nam Doc Mai mango, while my co-worker had Glenn and Julie mangoes.

While I liked the Nam Doc Mai mangoes, the Jamaican people at work liked the Julie's and the general mix of people liked the Glenn's the best.

It was fun for us all. My wife liked the Glenn's but not as much as our Nam Doc Mai mangoes.

My final opinion is that there are no losers in the choices, only differences.