Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sour_diesel_gw

some pictures i took today

sour_diesel
14 years ago

my neighbors mango tree, its about 30 years old and was topped by Wilma, i think it may be a Kent

heres his Carambola, again idk what variety but they are kinda bland

My other neighbors yard. he has a mango in bloom, i wonder what variety it is, and he has a huge Avocado tree that gave him about 500 avocados a few weeks back.

onto my yard...

Mangos

Zill Nam Doc Mai

PI Po Pyu Kalay

PI Chou Anon

they are in a pretty tight row dividing my property, the next two mangos follow this same line

Top Trop Okrung Tong

TopT Tong Dam

Zill Rosiegold

Zill Julie

PI Alphonso

PI Alampur Baneshan

TopT Zebda

PI Lisa 48/26 Atemoya

PI Kampong Mauve Sugar Apple

TopT Rollinia Biriba

PI grafted Soursop

PI Dwarf red lady Papaya

PI Alano Sapodilla

Malay Apple, Pommerac, Otaheite Apple

PI Jaboticaba

Barbados Cherry

Everbearing Mulberry bush

Lemon Bay Rum

Zill Carambola (variety?)

PI Cheena Jackfruit

coconut, monstera delicosa

Miracle fruit

Vanilla Orchid

yellow, purple, giant granadilla passionfruit

pineapples (ivory coast, delmonte gold, cheese pine, black antigua, rubis, and others unidentified not pictured)

pink, yellow, magenta dragonfruit (theres alot in the corner and starting up the telephone pole)

container stuff

Fuyu Persimmon

brown turkey and negronne fig

seeded breadfruit saplings, lower left is a paradise nut tree and above that is lemondrop mangosteen garcinia.

Citrus, duncan grapefruit, flame grapefruit, meiwa kumquat, sambo lemon, eureka var. lemon, red navel orange, temple orange, key lime, buddha hand citron

Sweetheart Lychee

Rainbow Eucalyptus (cant wait until it grows tall)

Polythiana Longifolia, Asoka, this tree grows columnar, the branches all weep down

as you can see my property is still under construction, im moving the driveway to the front swale so i have more room for new arrivals.

hope you enjoy!

Comments (37)

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You must have a few acres to be able to grow all of that. Makes me jealous, but looks very nice. Keep up the good work!
    Andrew

• sour_diesel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the first ten pictures are my neighbors yards, their trees are all older and full grown.

im on a little less than a 1/4 acre lot. all the trees i grow take to good pruning.

im hoping the five mangos im growing in a row Nam Doc Mai, Po Pyu Kalay, Chou Anon, Okrung Tong, and Tong Dam all stay relatively the same medium size through good pruning and make a good hedge. im still working on moving the driveway and building a fence, right now they are open to anyone walking by.

the only big mango tree i know i have for sure is alphonso and i plan to manage that and prune the most vertical branches.

the sweetheart lychee tree may get large too over time, i know Brewster and Mauritius get huge down here with age.

jaboticaba get large with age too, i would never prune them though unless neccesary, they are slow growers and beautiful when symmetrical.

i would never let my carambola get as large as the one in my neighbors yard, i prune the heck out of it to keep it ornate looking.

i know soursop gets big but anonas prune well to my understanding. my sugar apple, atemoya and rollinia are all staying 8 or 9 feet and pruned into oval dwarf trees.

my cheena jackfruit i will not let get over 12 feet.

the rainbow eucalyptus can get 70+ feet tall down here.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

sour diesel:

Very nice selection of fruit trees. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Actually, the area you live in looks familiar to me. Is your property west of 441, on the otherside of the West Hollywood Shopping Center?

Harry

• sour_diesel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

exactly.

wow your good harry!

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

great pics sd and great selection. very envious. now if only there would 2-3 posts like this every day, i coud feed my obsession a little

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Sour,

You got a nice variety of trees there. You even got a grafted soursop. I think my tree is a seedling and now I already have it for like 5 years and it's still under 3 ft. It had some die back but growing better this year. I was crazy to order jackfruit. It's still trying to survive. :)

Sour and Harry living so close, maybe now you guys can exchange fruits. So lucky you guys living in Florida. We are freezing our asses here in zone 6.

Oh, since you guys living in Florida, do you know where to get the pandan plant? The one people use for cooking. I've been looking to get this plant but it seem so expensive for just one small plant. So rare in US. But I heard people can get it in Florida.

Thanks for sharing those great pics again.

Kristy

• sour_diesel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pandan im assuming is breadfruit? (they call it pana in Spanish, pana = bread)

yes we can grow them here but they are VERY tropical and dont like cold especially as seedlings.

the variety im growing is seeded bread fruit, for obvious reasons seedless breadfruit has to be grafted or suckered, air layered somehow.

west indians from Guyana, Trinidad, Jamaica and other Southern American / Carribean Countries may know the seeded breadfruit as Shatine, or Katahar. its the same as regular breadfruit with delicious seeds

the pictures in my above post show my seedlings, some are losing leaves but they should get new growth, i may have to bring them in if we get a chill.

• pepperot
    14 years ago

I think ch3rri's referring to Pandanus amaryllifolius. Asian specialty. Ch3rri, I thought your mom smuggled a plant from vietnam?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pandanus amaryllifolius

• sour_diesel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

odd, i never knew screw pine leaves were edible.

i have seen them around or listed somewhere, i never really paid attention to them other then having odd huge pinecones

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Yes, my mother in law did smuggle some from vietnam...but then she left it in the refrigerator and so they die after I planted them. So sad. This type of screw pine leaves are the flavoring type. Not the one I saw from Top where it gets tall. It look just like a grass plant and we only use the leaves.

• sour_diesel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i think i found a source.

Here is a link that might be useful: rareflora pandan

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Thanks Sour. I think that's the plant. The shipping is like $16 for that 6" pot. Almost the amount for that plant. Will have to find another source....or I'm going to have to smuggle some in later when I go back to Vietnam...lol

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Sour, what a wonderful assortment of fruits you have in your property. I can't believe you were able to put all those great trees in less an a 1/4 acre...absolutely AMAZING!! Great job and thanks for sharing your pics!!

• smittee
    14 years ago

HOW WONDERFUL May I please ask how old your budda's hand is? I see it has fruit and doesnt look very old. Mine is two years old and I am very anxious for it to start to fruit..
    Thanks Ssmittee

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Talking about the budda's hand. How does it tastes like? They sell the tree here in Chinatown. Just wondering how to eat it.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Ch3rri,
    I am no expert when it comes to Budda's hand but from what I hear there is little to no pulp. I have heard the zest and rind can be used for candy making. You could probobly use zest for cooking also.
    Andrew

• sour_diesel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i bought it from home depot about 6 months ago i suppose, wasnt much bigger than it is now.

theres not much to do with it, its all rind and pith really. they use it like they would use any citrus rind. its mostly decorative and fragrant.

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Man...look at this picture. A friend just came back from Vietnam and here are the fruits in season now. Look at the purpe/green star apple, mangosteen, rambutan, longkong, sugar apples.... The star apples are huge! Let me pray for my star apple tree to bear similar fruits. :)

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Wow! I want some.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Oh man I want some, never tried mangosteen. Almost bought some but was told $16.00/pound was too high so I am hoping whenever the season starts again, I can try some.
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Andrew,

If you love star apple then you'll love this green variety. Wonder if the one from Top or Pine look like this one or not. Somehow the star apple here in US is so small compared to these.

sugar apple from Vietnam.

• sour_diesel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ch3rri, that fruit stand is what i imagine heaven would look like when its my time, lol.

what are the large green fruit on the middle shelf; left side?

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Hi Sour,

That's the Vietnamese tangerine or oranges. Somehow their variety of tangerine and oranges are green. I think the tangerine from China is green too.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Ch3rri,
    I actually bought the green sugar apple because you told me that you had heard it was better then purplr and top said it was more rare here. I really don't know much about this fruit. I have never tried it before. This is my one and only wild card fruit. I think it is kind of exciting to grow a fruit you have never had before. If I discover that I don't like it when I finally get some fruit in 5 years (LOL..remember my caimito stick!) out it goes and in comes another mango. I have never heard anyone here say that they didn't like it. I am excited but it is still a long ways away from fruiting. It is supposed to be an airlayer and it continually grows but it doesn't grow fast. Not like mango...once those buds start to swell its like magic. Presto a new branch! Presto a new bloom pannicle!! I swear it goes from bud to tiny branch in 24 hours!
    Andrew

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew, I don't think that I have ever heard someone being successfull air layering sugar apple. Are you sure it was air layered? If it is air layered It would really be wind sensitive as even some grafted trees here tip over in high winds.
    Also if so I think it should flower in much under 5 years.
    Good luck.
    Ronald

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

I think Andrew means Star Apple (Caimito) that was air layered. There are purple and green skinned ones. I have grown both and have tasted quite a few. Unfortunately, the airlayered ones have had problems in my yard with wind. I have had very heavy fruiting trees that either blew over or snapped at the base of the trunk with even a moderate thunderstorm, never mind a hurricane. I have another attemt at growing one that has not fruited yet. Got it at Pine Island. As far as the fruit goes, it is very popular here amongst the various Caribbean peoples....especially the Cubans and Jamaicans. Well maybe especially by others, as now that I think of it, my neighbors from Trinidad also think pretty highly of it. For me it is horticulturally more interesting in its look than its taste. The tree is very nice with the leaves being two tones (bottom vs. top of the leaves). The flesh of the fruit is gelatinous with a generally sweet flavor. There is milky sap towards the outer rind of the fruit that causes one to get stuck lips if you get too greedy (eating too much of the fruit and getting to close to the outer portion of the fruit). I have had some fruit that were much better than others. There is pretty good variation in fruit quality when planted from seed. I generally prefer Abiu to Caimito, but they are close in overall eating quality.

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Ahh Hm makes sense now, funny because both of them have a purple and a green variety, so I was asuming it was sugar apple.
    Do you grow the abiu? I recently got my first few fruit from my seedling tree.
    Here in Jamaica both fruit (sugar and star apple) grow wild here, except for the red sugar apple that is.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Ronald:
    Yes, I have two seedling abiu trees. One has fruited one time, but I never got to tatse the fruit as we went away on vacation just before they were ready to be picked and they were gone when we returned. Here are some pictures I posted previously in another thread on this forum.

{{gwi:2101023}}

{{gwi:2100975}}

Unforunately this bloom pictured, was only on one of the trees, and no fruit set. Actually, this particular tree has bloomed several times over the past few years (and multiple times per year) and has never set a fruit. I may have to take the chain saw out and let it rest by the trunk of the tree for a few days to see if that gets any rise out of the darn thing. There is a wide range of quality of fruit on Abiu, just like in Star Apple. How did your's compare?

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Sorry for the typo Ronald. I did mean Star Apple.

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Yes my abiu flowered for years with no luck also, I think I posted here about being at the end of my rope. Then the very next day I saw many small fruit 'atempting' to hold on, only two made it to maturity.
    A good star apple was much more flavorfull and sweet than my abius, but I suspect that I may have needed to let them mature even more, so next time I will wait till they are almost ready to fall maybe.

No problem on the typo andrew.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

The abiu fruit looks very good. I would love to try that someday. When does the fruit come in season? Maybe I can find someone online who sells them.
    Andrew

• ronald123
    14 years ago

mine seem to flower many times for the year, maybe only a month before flower buds start emerging again.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Ronald:
    Those are nice looking Abius. They are more or less typical in size and shape from the ones I have seen. I assume yours is also a seedling. I find that Abius are less latexy than Star Apple. Have you had any problem with wind down there with either Abiu or Star Apple? You have gotten some pretty bad storms over the past 5 years.

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Yes we have had our fair share of storms, though no direct hits. (knock on wood) The abiu seedling was blown down some what but I was able to straighten it and brace it back to vertical. (I also cut it back a little) I don't think I have seen any problem with star apple short of a full hurricane. Luckily also we are in the hills 2300 feet up so we usually are not as bad as the coastline with an indirect hit from a storm.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Ronald:
    I think its the fact that you have not received a direct hit from a hurricane that has saved your trees and being inland as well. I always heard that wind velocities actually increase with altitude. What city are in/near in Jamaica?

Harry

• ronald123
    14 years ago

I am in Mandeville

• norm52
    13 years ago

Hello ,
    Read that someone might have yellow Jaboticaba seed and wonder If you would consider parting with a few seeds
    Ursula
    culejools@yahoo.ca

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH