Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackfruitwhisperer69

Fruit tree that I grow here in Madeira Island!

Hi, I recentely joined the forum and I'm loving it!!!:)

I always learning something new every day here, I started growing plants from the age 4 and now it has escalated to fruit tree, In South Africa where I use to live I could only grow Temperate crops and fruits like apple's and stone fruit, But now I'm in a Subtropical climate and where I stay the climate never drops below 14�c(57.2 �F) I grow here cherimoya,mangoes,citrus,papaya,passion fruit,figs,guavas,red and yellow cattle guava,persimmons,sugercan,bananas,kei apple,coffee,lucuma,carambola,jabuticaba,surinam cherry,grumichama...and alot of orchids!

Comments (30)

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

great pics- would love to see more pics if you- welcome to the forum

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Part 2: I Start to learn how to graft with roses,And my first attempt took and it's flowering till this day :)now i can graft white sapotes,citrus,stone fruit,avocado's...

The avocados took me like 4 years to get the right time to graft them!

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad you like it!:)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Nice pictures! Thnaks for posting and welcome to the forum. You have a very nice collection. What variety of banana is that in the first picture?

Harry

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

the fruit shown in the 3rd or 4th pic from the bottom- showing fruit in green and burgandy stage of ripeness, is that a guava of some type?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

What mango varieties do you have? I see one tree in the 2nd to last picture.

MGB

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jack from Madeira Island - looks like you got your hands full now!!!!!!! How much land do you have, now?

Yeah, like Man-Go-Bananas said: More Mango pics please!
    and WELCOME.

mangoheavenlydog

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Harry, I don't really know, maybe cavendish Banana?

Steven

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PART 2- 1.Grafted avocado(Big fruit and small seed and not insipide)yammy :)
    2.Normal Guava-psidium guajava(it always bears a huge crop)
    3.Blue passion fruit
    5.longan seedling
    6.Huge avocado tree
    7.papaya seedling
    8.Bishop's crown pepper's
    9.this is my first success with citrus grafting!
    10.Cherimoya fruit(I got a you tube channal showing the cherimoya varieties that i grow (crazyamazondude)
    11.the wine grapes takes 50% of my land and wine grapes are the sweetest grapes you eat:)
    12.Huge cherimoya tree
    13.Macadamia seedling
    14.Normal guava
    15.Kei apple seedling
    16.Red cattle guava-the tree is bigger than me :)
    17.Tommy atkins mango
    18.Huge baseball yellow passion fruit trellis

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My land is 663.520m2-7142069,839ft2, and half of my land is a vineyard! People here love's their wine!:)

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My avocado tree and banana at my uncle's house!

unknown passiofruit?

Blue passionfruit

I multi-root grafted the White sapote!

yellow cattle guava

Coffee plant

I bought 3 tissue cultured banana from the Governmental Nursery!

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's some of my orchids!

This cymbidium orchid is the most purfumed!

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered 5 mango varieties from the local Governmental Nursery, Rosa(brazilian var.), Osteen, Glenn, Anderson and Tolbert mango, later on I will get a keitt mango
    Anderson is called Henderson, Don't know why!!!

What do guy's think about this varieties, Does anyone have them?

The grafted mango trees here are very cheap, I will pay 4.00 euros each and also bought 3 Grumichama's for 1.50 euros each!

The problem here is that you will get mostly seedling fruit trees than grafted one's!

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Well Glenn and Keitt would be light years better than Tolbert or Osteen. Never heard of of Rosa. The best thing I can say about Anderson is that it is large in the fruit department. I would bever plant this out if I had my druthers. Who is doing the mango variety selection over there for the Government? This selection does not even qualify for the old adage "good enough for Government work." Regarding your temperatures, based on all of the cymbidium blooms, I assume you have a nice nighttime/ daytime temperature disparity. How cool are your nights?

Harry

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Love it all! Welcome and thanks for posting. We LOVE pictures!

• berto
    12 years ago

Parabens! Seu pomar e muito bonito! A foto da pimenta, e pimenta cambuci?
    Rosa is one of the favorite varietes of mangos in Brazil. It is a very pretty fruit that is pink (rosa) and yellow when ripe. The flesh is firm, very fragrant, and has some fibers. I used to eat lots of them. My next door neighbor had a beautiful tree.

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

jack- there is a hardy passionfruit that grows in the north east usa called maypop that I grow- the fruit and flower and foliage look the same as yours but i dont know if it would grow in your climate- guess you can google it and find out

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Steven, welcome to the forum and thanks for some awesome pictures.

Love your bishop's hat chili peppers -i'm a total sucker for spicy stuffs :) Kei apple right next to the fig tree, that's going to be a challenge picking figs when kei apple gets bigger. Which fig variety is that btw? One of mine is a Black Madeira

Tim

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tim, I love chilli's!, I grow Bishop's hat, African birds eye chilli(they are explosive)I use them to make a chilli sause, for the Portuguese chicken and I also grow some Cayenne pepper's.

That Kei apple seedling has already huge nasty thorns, But I'm use to them, I had a cactus garden in South africa:)

I have 2 fig var. one is called 'mel do algarve', When ripe it start's to ooze syrup and it my favorite for jam! Yummy:), the other one is called 'Bibera preta' (don't know if the spelling is correct), those BadBoy's, if you eat too much you will run a marathon!lol :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus Garden

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Lycheeluva, yes the one you are growing is a native to America Passiflora incarnata and it's very beautiful and cold hardy too, mine is native to South America Passiflora caerulea the pulp is very sweet and it love's the cool weather at my grandpa's house.

And here there's banana passionfruit-Passiflora mollissima very invasive and I harvest a bag full of fruit at the mountain in summer! they are tasty!:)

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ola Berto, eu estou feliz que voce gosta do meu pomar:), aqui e chamado coroa do bispo e ele parece com a fruta do cambuci do brasil!

I also love that mango variey, it's almost like a palmer mango! Yummy:)

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad everyone like's the pictures, I will be posting more!:)

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Harry,

The Rosa mango is a Brazilian mango and it's similar to a Palmer mango! the nice spicy flavor:), I have done some research on Anderson, Is It true that It ripen's unevenly and it has a tendency to split?

The Governmental nursery is called 'Centro fruticultura subtropical' they imported those varieties like 20 year's ago, they got other varieties but don't want to release to the public, 'they always saying that they are doing research, Acclimatization issues!

The night's are cool but not chilly, they love this weather, The cymbidium orchids are at my Grandpa's house, you could say that it is situated in the high lands, but down to the lowlands they don't bloom very well!

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Beautiful cactus garden, did you have to leave it behind/sell it when you moved? I have quite a few cactus now, Opuntia, Stenocereus, Cerus, and some others.

• berto
    12 years ago

Valeu Jack! Obrigado!
    Madeira is such a beautiful place and has a nice subtropical climate. I have very good memories of Madeira and its lush vegetation. Let's talk! Please check your email.

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi nullzero, 70% of my cactuses were left behind :(, I brought most of my aloes,opuntias,and some succulents like lithops and crassulas!

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I always wanted a jackfruit tree, and to my suprise there is a bearing tree here and the tree is 3 miles from my house!!! life is so ironic!lol, the fruit don't get very big here!

Next year i'm going to try to get a seedling from theme and try to import other var. like black gold!

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My first success in grafting Avocado!

White fleshed Guava seedlings!

Silk floss tree seedling-Ceiba Speciosa

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Cherimoya Fruits from last year!

• มัณฑนีย์ โฮม แอนด์ การ์เดน
    8 years ago

I like your all of the frees where are your place... I in Funchal Madeira now....

I would like to know about where I can buy plant of the frees fruit..

I'm sorry for my poor English..Manee

Thailand