Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffhagen

Mango trees

jeffhagen
12 years ago

I finally have a camera now ! So, I took the opportunity to take a few pictures to show he maha-chinook-only'ers that there are other mangoes out there (just kidding :-).

NAM DOC MAI #4

Here's my neighbor's nam doc mai #4. It's barely 7 feet tall yet over 6 years old

Check out the the trunk!

Check out the size of these early fruits!

Now compare to my (regular) nam doc mai of roughly the same age. It's hard to tell, but the tree is 15 feet tall and I have already pruned it heavily. It also doesn't have a single bloom.

LEMON ZEST

Now for the lemon zest haters out there (;-), here is a shot showing the bushy/compact growth habit of the Lemon Zest. I'm not saying that it's a small tree, but I doubt it will be like a valencia pride either.

Closeup of the branching habit. Every single internode has this same habit of 4 to 5 branches per node.

Comments (11)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice pictures, keep us updated! I may get a Lemon Zest in the future (when they become available to CA).

• invar69
    12 years ago

Well, after reading so much here on Lemon Zest, I decided to buy one. Great pics.

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

great pics but come on Jeff- u have a zillion trees! you dont get charged per pciture!!! let is all hang out

• jeffhagen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHA The only problem is that most of the trees in my yard are indistinguishable within the jungle surrounding them :-).

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Great pics! The NDM #4 seems to exhibit the elephant's foot trunk that you talked about not too long ago with ndm #4's grafted onto to regular non-dwarf root stocks. Currently, my ndm #4 is growing new branches instead of flowers. It actually had one flower with grape-sized fruits on it until I cut it off right before planting it for it to concentrate on growth instead of fruit development. Looks like the lemon zest has the same type of growth habit as a glenn. :-)

• NatsGarden123
    12 years ago

Nice trees :)
    Are there other differences between ndm and ndm4 other than size? I have had the fruit off the original tree and it was excellent.

• zands
    12 years ago

Jeff---
    You showed me your neighbors NDM#4 tree (in photo) 4-5 weeks ago and it had panicles and little fruits but just from one branch on the left side. Now those fruits are getting large and barring a freeze should be edible in February-March.

Plus now the rest of the tree is breaking out with panicles. That NDM#4 looks bonsai..... has bonsai characteristics.

• jeffhagen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That nam doc mai #4 is awesome. The one drawback is that some years most of the fruit splits. I don't know whether that is because the neighbor gives it nitrogen or not. I've told the neighbor to hold off on nitrogen and water this year to see if it makes a difference.

Jeff

• mangodog
    12 years ago

BOy that NDM #4 sure is stocky prolific fireplug of a tree!
    I've got the old fashioned NDM, like you, so we'll see how it performs - that one and a couple others are on probation - to see if they pull it all together.

Thanks, Jeff, but I'd also like to see a pic of the rest of your trees in the jungle.....mangoD

• NatsGarden123
    12 years ago

Beautiful tree but the splitting fruit is an issue...I really liked the nam doc mai from my original tree. Really awesome tasting mango and id be very dissapointed to see those split ones

• NatsGarden123
    12 years ago

Beautiful tree but the splitting fruit is an issue...I really liked the nam doc mai from my original tree. Really awesome tasting mango and id be very dissapointed to see those split ones