Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Female of Self Pollinating Papaya Tree?

Posted by carbos (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 18, 08 at 19:58

Hi, all. A few months back I planted about 9 or 10 papaya seeds from Hawaii. I had done some reading and was aware that they can be either male, female, or self pollinating.
Two of the trees are growing especially well and have produced numerous fruits already. . .only to have them reach about golf ball size and then wither up and fall off the tree. Leading me to believe they are female. I have a few photos here: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Carbo2/Papaya/

Assuming these photos bear out my suspicions, am I out of luck as far as eating fresh homegrown papayas? Can anything be done with future efforts to assure the growth of a few self pollinating trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Female of Self Pollinating Papaya Tree?

The males once the get about 2 feet tall very young will produce non-stop flowers. The females only bear fruits when they mature on most species. The crazy thing is you can turn a male to a female by cutting of it's head! It will grow a new head and will become fwmale! Crazy huh?

o

I couldn't see the photos,but you are probably right with them being female and no males around.
When you look at the flower, does it have the yellow fingers (anthers) in the middle? If not, it is female.

You may have to wait, if your other other plants are self-pollinating, they can pollinate your females also.

o

You might want to read up on this:
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-5.pdf

Hope that gives you some more info.

o

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 23, 08 at 21:13

I don't understand why any one bothers with regular papaya seed that may produce male flowers. One has to wait for months to see what sex the plants are and then all that time and effort is often wasted when the plants turn out to be male.

What you want is hermaphrodite papaya plants. This way you don't have to worry about pollination from one plant to another. The seed I use almost always produces hermaphrodite plants and rarely produce females. They NEVER produce males. The fruit is top quality IF you live where its warm year round meaning it rarely drops unto the 50's.

I get my seeds from Aloha seed. They have many varieties. Many produce 66% hermaphrodite and 33% female. The others produce 50/50.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloha seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here