• esco_socal
    12 years ago
  • Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks...

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Oh man. I was really looking forward to starting this thread again.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

1.Bizcochuelo
    2.Manila/Manilita( Mexico Yucatan)
    3.Mallika
    4.Madame Francis
    5.Glenn

new ranking. there is also new posters, good thread!

JF

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

Probably a good idea to do a new list every once in a while, as members try out new varieties, their "favorites" change.

I didn't get a chance to go to the mango expo this year. and do the taste test. next time I go to a sampling, I will pay attention to texture, taste , aroma etc. and take notes.

So many varieties I have not tried yet. so I will pick my five next season.

but I am curious to see what others have picked, and for what reason.

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

1. Julie mango
    2. Starch mango (super sweet, juice run down your arm juicy like Julie, with fiber)
    4. NDM
    3. Calabash mango (huge, sweet with a spicy flavor and smell on the skin and flesh)

Hopefully I'll get to taste some of the more popular SoFla cultivars next season.

• zands
    12 years ago

I'll give props to Carrie and Fairchild

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

1. Edward
    2. Kent
    3. Dot
    4. Keitt
    5. Mallika or Rosigold

Still waiting for my Cushman, Po Pyu Kalay and Maha Chinook to produce.

• squam256
    12 years ago

Zands, I was debating whether to include Carrie in my list. Went with others because they're a little more consistent. But a 'good' Carrie eaten at the right stage is very tough to beat.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Assuming all are grown to produce optimal quality:

1. Mahachanok
    2. Coconut Cream
    3. Lemon Zest/Orange Sherbet
    4. Mallika
    5. Duncan

honorable mention (any of these grown at optimal quality could break into the top five if any of the above "falter"): PPK/Lemon Meringue, NDM, Pickering, Cushman, Pina Colada, Gary

Rob

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I know all of this is subjective but a "good" carrie, now that is a joke. Carrie falls in the bottom five of mine and very near the very bottom.

Rob

• NatsGarden123
    12 years ago

Robbie
    What is the Starch mango and the Calabash Mango?

• adiel
    12 years ago

My current top 5 + 1 favorite in order (#1 being the best):

1. Shwe Hin Thar
    2. Edward
    3. Okrong Tung
    4. Nam Doc Mai
    5. Sindhri
    6. 9816 (no name yet)

Adiel

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

Nats,

They are my favorite varieties grown in Trinidad (mabye found in most Caribbean countries). Unfortunately, Starch (normal grower, heavy producer, deep yellow flesh with fiber, grown by seed) is anthracnose prone (much more than Julie in the Caribbean so it won't survive here) and susceptable to latex/acid burn and jelly seed. And Calabash (huge vigorious tree, thick skinned, meaty deep orange flesh with some fiber) is getting harder and harder to find with increased land development. Local agriculture has taken a backseat with heavy importation of produce.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

My top five are now:

1. Sweet Limeade
    2. Grand Marnier
    3. Tropical Delight
    4. Citrus Heaven
    5. Oohdatsagood mango

Just kidding....my favorites remain as previously indicated in the older thread......still waiting to see where Lemon Zest and Coconut Cream fit into this picture.

Re: Carrie being "good" or not....one has to get it at just the right stage of ripeness and it can be excellent. Some (not necessarily me) feel that at its best, it is one of the, if not the best mangoes in the world.

Harry

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Great mango names Harry. HAHAHA

• swrancher
    12 years ago

1. Edward
    2. Pickering
    3. Dot
    4. Angie
    5. Valencia Pride(this past season, not so much prior years)

• squam256
    12 years ago

Damn Rob, you really hated on Carrie there. Though to be honest I didn't like Carrie as recently as 2 years ago.

Interesting choice of Duncan in the top 5. I think its a good mango, but the Duncans I've had have been a little on the mild side to crack the top 5. Have tasted kind of like a mild Edward, which I suppose is still pretty good.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Yah, carrie is one of my favorites. But flavor can vary. This year many had an off flavor. You also have to eat it way before it gets overripe, otherwise the flavor is just too intense.

Duncan is way too resinous for me.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Jeff...if you think Duncan is resinous you'd better stay way far away from that East Indian seedling selection...was it Lady's Choice that I got from you. East Indian is the "super resinousness" poster child.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

:-) Yah, I don't like fairchild for the same reason. Don't worry, I'm not adding anything east indian related to my collection anytime soon :-). I am very curious to see what the Lady's Choice tastes like though.

Jeff

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

I had three mangos from my Carrie. I let one fall off the tree and the other two I picked green. The one that fell off the tree tasted kind of odd the other 2 were terrific. The fruits were rather small between 9-11 oz. Is that their normal size???

JF

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

JF - yes, that sounds about right for Carrie, especially for you in Cali (the Cali mangoes seem to be slightly smaller than "our" Fla grown specimens).

Carrie - I have never found it to be a likable mango, year in and year out...and yes, when it gets overripe I don't find it to be over sweet, but instead it get almost "fermenty" and mushy.

I have not found Duncans nor Fairchilds to be overly resinous. I have had some Duncans that have a slight resin component but not all of the,. I find them to have a great blend of sweetness and acidity with a touch or spice. The Fairchilds I have had have had no resin whatsoever. Very odd cause I find them very juicy and sweet.

Lady's Choice, nah, don't need to drink my mango...

Rob

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Is resinous the honey-dew type taste?

I remember when I ate some haden mangoes from my old tree. Some were smooth and perfect, while the others had a weird taste to them. It's not herby. Just weird.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Rob,

The ones I let ripe on the fruit basket were great! very sweet and creamy...my problem with carrie is they took too long to ripe for such a small fruit. My Glenns which were about 20-22oz ripened by Sept 6. My Edwards and Hadens earlier.... a month earlier than carries, and they flowered in mid Feb. the same time as the carries. I'm going to let this tree rest this year and I'm going to give it another try in 2013 to see if it's worth keeping. I'm going to keep experimenting with different cultivars and keep the ones that ripen in Aug. and Sept. down here.

JF

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Resinous flavor tastes the way the crushed mango leaf smells. Hard to describe but tastes like eating mango sap. Bite into a mango branch and you'll get the idea :-). I think I'm overly sensitive to it. Sometimes it even burns my lips. Some folks are allergic to mango sap.

Jeff

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for so many posts guys! Keep it going!!!

MGB