Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Smart Pot for my grafted mamey.

Posted by tropicalgrower89 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 20:34

I won't move the mamey from one pot to the other yet. It's currently 4ft tall in a 15 gallon pot. But when I do, I'm thinking about using this pot(100 or 150 gallon) 200 gallon is too wide to fit through my gate with the heavy duty two-wheel cart. Also, I think it will grow much better in huge pot than in the ground full of limestone rock. Is this a good pot?

http://www.horticulturesource.com/high-caliper-smart-pot-38-x-20-and-98-2-gallons-100-size-20-case-case-dim-21-x-21-x-24-case-weight-35lbs--p5304/?osCsid=88f5e008a1919984248ab45fdff4d9b6

Thank you,

Alexi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Smart Pot for my grafted mamey.

Oh boy, that sounds heavy. Make sure you use a lighter peaty mix, so that you don't break your back trying to move that boy around.

Mamey sapotes can actually do fairly well in our limestone soil as long as you provide them with iron and micro-nutrients. The sapote trees at Lara Farms look quite nice despite the limestone layer just a few inches beneath the soil.

Even lychees can do quite well in that area, but micro-nutrient application is critical. The last time I went to Going Bananas (in Homestead) a couple of years back, they had stopped fertilizing a few dozen mature lychee trees (because they were going to get rid of them), and they looked absolutely terrible. Meanwhile the dozen or so mature lychee trees that they had continued to fertilize looked pristine.

Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here