Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

Durian cupcakes

red_sea_me
13 years ago

Today I baked some durian cupcakes for Christmas gifts. I used a frozen durian and baked them into mason jars so I can seal them with lids and give them out. Once the jars are properly sealed they last up to a year. I used a recipe from a gentleman's blog, supposedly it is good for chempedak too.

here is the original recipe

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/blog/when-the-durian-are-down-the-sarongs-are-up.html

I made a few slight modifications by adding 1/4tsp. salt and 1/2tsp. vanilla extract since I am unable to add the pandanus cream. Though weighing is the most accurate way to go with baking and grams are more accurate than oz. here is a rough conversion. I did use a scale for mine. Try to have everything at room temp too.

3 eggs

170g durian flesh (forgot to write down conversion amount)

1 1/4C. AP flour

12Tbs. butter

3/4C. sugar

2 tsp. baking soda

2 Tbl. coconut cream

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.

To start I pressed the durian flesh through a mesh screen to remove any fibers.

Using a mixer, cream the sugar and butter, then add eggs, then add durian flesh mixing between additions. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add remaining ingredients.

I used 1/2 pint mason jars that were sprayed with nonstick and filled 1/2 way with batter. The conversion in oven temp comes out to 356F but since I was using glass and they were small I set mine about 330F +/-. I set the 1/2 filled jars directly on the oven rack and baked for about 25-30 mins. Check them with a toothpick do not underbake. During this whole time I had a pan of water with the mason jar lids gently simmering on the stove. When I removed the hot jars I place the lids on top and tightened the band. I placed these on a wire rack to cool and hear the 'pop' of the sealing lids. The jars will show condensation at first but if you let them sit for a week the moisture will reabsorb into the cake making them very moist. If the lid does not seal eat within a day or two, if there is mold when you open it, dont eat it.

I did have one not seal so I'll try it tomorrow.

-Ethan

whole frozen mornthong durian

cut open, still kinda frozen

nice sized chunks of flesh some with ice crystals

finished product

some of the gifts for Christmas

back row L to R: home brewed beer, orange cream ale, nutmeg brown and doppio malto plus some pickled green beans.

front row L to R: home grown Tropic pink guava jelly, home grown dwarf Namwah banana nut bread and durian cupcake.

Merry Christmas all,

-Ethan

Comments (11)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

As a little kid, I thought Durian was awful! But now it doesn't smell too bad and I actually like it. Your Durian cupcakes looks fantastic! And, wow, your orange creme ale, banana nut bread and guava jelly looks delicious too! Thanks for sharing, Ethan. ( :

-Bo

• cath41
    13 years ago

Saaaaay Ethan, you'd be someone nice to know - giving out all those goodies.

Cath

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Bo and Cath for your kind words.

I'm sitting here trying one of the jars of cake right now. The cake is nice and moist with gentle underlying flavors and a very bold durian flavor. What is nice though is the cooking process or other ingredients have mellowed some of the sharper aspects of the durian's taste a little. A little dollop of whipped cream dresses it up nicely too.

It is funny Cath, since I've been brewing my # of friends has increased steadily despite being a horrible person with no personal hygeine. ;)

BTW, cats like durian cupcakes too.

-Ethan

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Ethan:

Having traveled with you in Puerto Rico,on at least one occcasion in extremely tight quarters, I can most assuredly say you are not a horrible person.....now the personal hygiene issue...that is something else. No, just kidding.......how much alcohol content does your beer have??

Harry

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

No...seriously Harry...Ethan's personal hygiene issue was bound to come up sooner or later!!!! Afterall...you guys had to sit real close-like with him on the trip back from Bryan's!!! LOL! We should have video'd that episode. That was just way too funny. Wasn't it Gerry who way putting his feet out the window??!!

Anyway...Ethan...that cake looked pretty good until you posted the pic of that cut open frozen durian. OMG!! That looked like something from a horrible lab experiment. Certainly something that shouldn't be ingested! Gnarly!

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was just glad no one had to ride in the trunk, esp me.

Harry, the beer is about 4.5% alcohol, since it is a gift to a wide range of palates I tend to make them somewhat mild. On rare occasions I make barley wines or doppel helles bocks that range in the 10-12% area. A nice sipping beer for those cold Miami nights.

Jay, maybe I can be durian boy's (man's) apprentice, I still have a ways to go on the durian train. That durian not only looked scary but by the time I was done cooking everything and eating the leftover durian flesh, the entire house was thick with durian funk. I had to go outside for fresh air for a couple minutes. My daughter was unfazed and today enjoyed sharing a cupcake with me, tough little kid.

-Ethan

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Jay,
    I'm lucky I didn't have to experience that man-packed ride back from Bryan's. Maybe I just had the keys all along and just didn't want to have to drive Ethan around any longer.

Ethan,
    So.. any chance any of those beers will be making their way to FL?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

A friend of mine once made Durian ice cream. Tasted good to me. The recipe must be someplace on the internet since I think thats where he got it. Even his kids liked it.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Beers Sheehan?? Probably not after that last comment!!! LOL! I've heard a rumor that Ethan is now experimenting with durian bath products...soap, cologne, deodorant. Should be a hit!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

Ohiojay-It is funny that as bad a reputation Durian has for emptying out a airplane with its odor,its not much of a insect repellant like other plants. You would think it would be a natural-lol.

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sheehan,
    there will be some beer headed to FL., but whether they make it to you or not is another story. Just stand by your mailbox until they arrive.

Stan, I've seen durian ice cream, jam, chips and probably other products, for as bad as it's reputation is, it is very popular.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor