Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

My New York 'greenhouse'

lycheeluva
12 years ago

sorry I havent been on the forum for about 4 months- just been super busy at work. to keep my tropical plants alive in the NY winter, I have lined the rafters of my garage with fiberglass isnulation roll, and then lined the walls and the fiberglass with reflective mylar to reflect both the heat and light back inside the greenhouse. I have a bunch of lychees, 2 mauritius, 1 sweetheart, and a couple of unknown varities i picked up from Harry. I also have two mangoes- one from harry and one from Jeff (I've forgotten the varities but have them written down somewhere). I also have two tangerines and a jaboticaba. Here are some pics. I have two different lights- one is a 200 watt led light and one os a 1000 watt sodium halide light.

harry's mango under the led light

wtf is that!!!!!!!!!??? i think its a prior bug nursery of some sort but i remved it in case its current- really freaky

another pic of harry's mango under the led

tangerine (golden nugget) blooms

view of the rafters from the back of the garage

my gas heater

mauritius lychee

jaboticaba about to bust out a leaf flush

harry's mango with some tangerines in the background

jeff's mango

one of harry's lychees- possibly a garnet

sweetheart lychee early bloom stage

some unknown tropical fruit seedling. any ideas anyone?

4 pics of harry's mango in early bloom stage

harry's mango under the led light

Comments (15)

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow LL, you've had some serious work done. The combination of the strange life forms on the leaf and the LED light makes it look alien.

aaaah the things we do for good fruit,
    -Ethan

• brandon00warden
    12 years ago

Whoooaa! That's rad. Is this just for winter? Then outside?

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yep- just for winter- outside from mid april to late october
    harry's mango i now remember is a Maha Chinook.
    Jeff's mango i still cant remember the name is a thai variety- mpk or something like that

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Nice job Jer. Everything looking good. Have no idea what those eggs are. I would remove the leaf and keep in a jar until identified...just to satisfy curiosity and keep a look out for what you missed that might hatch!

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

:-) The mango is Pim sane mun. The top most seedling looks like it could be passion fruit.

Jeff

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jeff- you may be right about the passionfruit- i seem to remember tossing my passion fruit shells onto the container to act as fertilizer. guess there were some seeds still in the shell which ended up getting covered with soil and germinating. that would be pretty cool.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Your trees look great. Do you hand water all of the plants?

• mangodog
    12 years ago

LL - the psychedelic setup! Very cool.....New York, hmmmm....

I'm originally from Binghamton - are you near the city???

If I hadn't "escaped" to L.A. I'd be doing exactly what you are doing now.....

Good luck, fellow NYer.....

mangoShihtzu

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

You're absolutely right, Gerry. The mango you got from me was an experimental airlayered Maha Chanook from my original tree. Glad to see it is thriving with just a tiny bit of help from your set up. I can't recall, for sure, what the lychee was. Best of luck with the upcoming winter....looks like you are ready for the fight.

Harry

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sheehan- I water them with a garden hose- not ideal as I have some non gardening suff in the garage which gets a little wet when the water drains out the bottom of the containers but what can i do.
    mangodog- im in brooklyn

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

I'm jealous of you have mango blooms! Amazing grow room you did a great job ,but at what price? I know UFO lights are really expensive at least 250$ and same as your HID. The mylar cost at lot too. A passion is a passion :). I found a cheaper way you could use next year some 400w mh warehouse light (high bay) that's what I use, mine cost 25$ with the bulb! Instead of using mylar you could paint your walls flat white, it's 85% reflective.

Samuel Forest

• NatsGarden123
    12 years ago

I lived in Upstate NY...and I never would have imagined that anyone could grow that in a garage...Where are you located?

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nats- im in brooklyn, NY

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi,

Amazing setup you have! What is the temperature in there?

Tomas

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

not sure-- have not measured it in a while. prob in the 40s during evening and 60s during day