Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

What if you don't prune?

hmhausman
13 years ago

Tried to find my previous post on this subject, but it seems to be missing from the archives. I figured I'd start a new thread. I purchased a Jean Ellen Mango a little over a year ago and decided that I didn't want to prune and loose the bloom. Here's what it looked like.

On 5/31/10 it looked like this after not setting any fruit and beginning to branch on its own without pruning.

The most recent shot today showing tree in bloom:

Summarizing...so far at least, one cannot argue with the beauty and symetry of a mango tree pruned hard (pugged). This is especially true for you container growers. However, I think there is something to be said for getting the tree to a decent size to better brave the elements and to be able to provide fruit faster and more abundantly. Besides, I just cannot bring myself to hard prune like many of you do or have done. Its just not in me. Thankfully, I have the space to carry out this experiment. A grafted tree will branch on its own......just a bit higher than you container growers or squat-tree-philes would prefer.

Harry

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022