Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What if you don't prune?

Posted by hmhausman FL10B Broward County (hmhausman@aol.com) on
Sat, Dec 25, 10 at 20:52

Tried to find my previous post on this subject, but it seems to be missing from the archives. I figured I'd start a new thread. I purchased a Jean Ellen Mango a little over a year ago and decided that I didn't want to prune and loose the bloom. Here's what it looked like.

Jean Ellen Mango 12/10/09

On 5/31/10 it looked like this after not setting any fruit and beginning to branch on its own without pruning.

Jean Ellen mango 5/31/10

The most recent shot today showing tree in bloom:

Jean Ellen mango 12/25/10

Summarizing...so far at least, one cannot argue with the beauty and symetry of a mango tree pruned hard (pugged). This is especially true for you container growers. However, I think there is something to be said for getting the tree to a decent size to better brave the elements and to be able to provide fruit faster and more abundantly. Besides, I just cannot bring myself to hard prune like many of you do or have done. Its just not in me. Thankfully, I have the space to carry out this experiment. A grafted tree will branch on its own......just a bit higher than you container growers or squat-tree-philes would prefer.

Harry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What if you don't prune?

Your Jean Ellen mango tree turned out to be gorgeous! It really did fill out even without the hard pruning. All in a year and then some, you said? Very nice tree.

everettsky

o

• Posted by zands 10b in Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 26, 10 at 4:59

Harry

Taking your young Jean Ellen Mango as an example>>

-What kind of fertilizing program did (do) you have it on?
- I also see you don't go crazy with mulch
- What is your general fertilization amount and frequency for young mangoes? Thanks!

I ask this because I always fear burning young mangoes with fertilizer.

Nice to see so many panicles on your trees and others too. I have a few myself.

o

It grew considerably and looks heaalthy. Who did you buy it from?

o

What would happen if you removed the stake tied to the tree?

o

Jay:

The tree would snap in the first breeze. No, seriously, I don't think anything would happen. Its just there as a remnant of the early seedling support provided by the grower that I bought it from. I'll remove it today to see. If it snaps......I'm coming up to Columbus with some rocks to give your greenhouse some ventilation. :-))

Maureen:

Actually, it was from Fairchild gardens from the mango festival in 2009. So, the tree is actually planted out for just over 1 1/2 years.

Zands:

I don't fertilize at all for the first month after planting. There was the equivalent of a bag of mulch initially placed around the tree at planting. Then after a month or so, I gradually add some time released balanced fertilizer pellets.....osmocote with minors in this case every couple of months. Just very lightly applied though. Less is defintiely more.

o

Harry-- 

for the young mangoes
Do you toss the fertilizer on top of the mulch and grass or do you tuck the
fertilizer under the mulch?
And how much? A handful or two every two months?

Thanks much

I have a big bag of this 12-5-8 fertilizer with minor elements--->>>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here