Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

What if you don't prune?

hmhausman
13 years ago

Tried to find my previous post on this subject, but it seems to be missing from the archives. I figured I'd start a new thread. I purchased a Jean Ellen Mango a little over a year ago and decided that I didn't want to prune and loose the bloom. Here's what it looked like.

On 5/31/10 it looked like this after not setting any fruit and beginning to branch on its own without pruning.

The most recent shot today showing tree in bloom:

Summarizing...so far at least, one cannot argue with the beauty and symetry of a mango tree pruned hard (pugged). This is especially true for you container growers. However, I think there is something to be said for getting the tree to a decent size to better brave the elements and to be able to provide fruit faster and more abundantly. Besides, I just cannot bring myself to hard prune like many of you do or have done. Its just not in me. Thankfully, I have the space to carry out this experiment. A grafted tree will branch on its own......just a bit higher than you container growers or squat-tree-philes would prefer.

Harry

Comments (6)

• everettsky
    13 years ago

Your Jean Ellen mango tree turned out to be gorgeous! It really did fill out even without the hard pruning. All in a year and then some, you said? Very nice tree.

everettsky

• zands
    13 years ago

Harry

Taking your young Jean Ellen Mango as an example>>

-What kind of fertilizing program did (do) you have it on?
    - I also see you don't go crazy with mulch
    - What is your general fertilization amount and frequency for young mangoes? Thanks!

I ask this because I always fear burning young mangoes with fertilizer.

Nice to see so many panicles on your trees and others too. I have a few myself.

• jhl1654
    13 years ago

It grew considerably and looks heaalthy. Who did you buy it from?

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

What would happen if you removed the stake tied to the tree?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jay:

The tree would snap in the first breeze. No, seriously, I don't think anything would happen. Its just there as a remnant of the early seedling support provided by the grower that I bought it from. I'll remove it today to see. If it snaps......I'm coming up to Columbus with some rocks to give your greenhouse some ventilation. :-))

Maureen:

Actually, it was from Fairchild gardens from the mango festival in 2009. So, the tree is actually planted out for just over 1 1/2 years.

Zands:

I don't fertilize at all for the first month after planting. There was the equivalent of a bag of mulch initially placed around the tree at planting. Then after a month or so, I gradually add some time released balanced fertilizer pellets.....osmocote with minors in this case every couple of months. Just very lightly applied though. Less is defintiely more.

• zands
    13 years ago

Harry--ÃÂ

for the young mangoes
    Do you toss the fertilizer on top of the mulch and grass or do you tuck the
    fertilizer under the mulch?
    And how much? A handful or two every two months?

Thanks much

I have a big bag of this 12-5-8 fertilizer with minor elements--->>>

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor