Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
man_go_bananas

Shout-out to all Texan Mango growers (if any)

Man-Go-Bananas
12 years ago

Is anyone else in Texas growing mango trees? If so, have you had any success? What varieties are you growing? Include pictures if possible.

Thanks, MGB

Comments (17)

• mangobaby
    12 years ago

I have 3 mango trees (Namdocmai, alphonse, mallika) in ground in NW Houston area. This will be the 3rd winter for them. I protect them in winter with frost cloth and lights. I got fruits from them in summer of 2010. They were severely damaged in winter 2011 due to rolling blackouts but they have recovered now.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update! Are they flowering yet? Do you have any pictures of them?

Thanks, MGB

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

i've had mine for about 9 months, the NDM flowered twice in the fall, 2nd time it set quite a few fruit, i thinned it down to two. i moved everything onto the back porch, the mangos are in the back. the NDM, Glenn, and Lancetilla are in the back, i also have two seedlings, i think one is from a little yellow ataulfo, and the other is from a tommy atkins or keitt.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NICE!!! I will post pics. tomorrow when the sun comes up. I have 2 NDM, 2 Pickering, and a Glenn. I am planning on getting more in the spring: Julie, Keitt, Cushman, Lancitilla are possibilities. Is that your Glenn on the far left? The leaves look the same as mine. I wish my NDM were flower/fruiting :-( Hopefully next year (FINGERS CROSSED!!!!).

Thanks so much for replying to me,
    MGB

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

MGB - with the Julie, keep in mind that Julie loves and needs high humidity to flourish. Not sure what you get in your area on a yearly basis but keep this in mind. Unless you have Harry/SWRancher type of acreage, Julie may not be a variety to pursue. Disclaimer - to you and all other experimentalists, I am not say you CAN'T or you SHOULDN'T, just giving a heads up.

Rob

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It can get VERY humid in the summer here in Houston. Isn't Julie dwarf? Why would I need a lot of acreage???

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are my pictures!!! Click on them to enlarge/read descriptions.

#1-4: Pickering
    #5-8: Nam Doc Mai
    #9: Glenn

{{gwi:1337566}}

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

^ By the way, I was on my knees for most of those pictures!!!
    :-)

MGB

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

good looking trees, where did you get them? i bought mine from Joseph's Nursery down in Pearland. just curious, cuz they seem to be from the same grower (the bamboo stakes with green tape).

yes, the Glenn is left, NDM middle, and Lancetilla on the right.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered them all from Pine Island Nursery in Florida. That's probably where Joseph's gets them from. It's good to know someone else is growing mangoes here. (I hate being alone)

MGB

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Not usre if you have checked out this thread. The forum member that posted this has now moved to Apopka, FL. He may know some folks out in the Houston area for you to contact. His name is Ed. I am not sure if the e-mail listed is still current.

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Rarefruit Growers

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry! I sent him an email but no response yet...

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone else out there???

• julia42
    12 years ago

I have a Nam Doc Mai #4 in the ground here in Pearland. This is its first year in the ground, so time will tell how it does. I'm in Pearland and the tree is planted in a pretty protected area. Also, for winter, I built an enclosure out of garden stakes (it's only about 3 1/2 feet tall right now) which I wrapped in a few layers of frost cloth and then fill with raked leaves. If it gets colder than it's been, I'll probably stick some water jugs in there. I think it's gotten down to 29 so far this year, and it looks good in there.

Mine's from Joseph's Nursery too.

• David Shawver
    12 years ago

We are located in the Round Rock are just north of Austin. We put up a Riga heated greenhouse last year so plan to add fruit trees including Mangos to our current vegetable crop. We were thinking about the Carrie, Cogshall, Nam Dox Mai or Mallika. Some will be in containers so they can be moved if needed. We've had next to no freezing temps this winter. Any suggestions on where these can be purchased locally to avoid the expensive shipping charges from growers in Florida?

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

call the nurseries in the Austin area, they may have some trees, or know of another local nursery in your area that has some.

when i was looking into buying mango trees last spring, i did find a place near the valley that was a tropic fruit nursery. not sure if this is the same one, but they have mango trees.

http://riversendnursery.com/

• David Shawver
    12 years ago

Thank you houstontexas123. We have contacted this nursery.
    I realize its a little early in the season to try and find these trees but just wanted to line up some sources.