Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlgarden53

Question about this Nam Doc Mai?

jlgarden53
14 years ago

This tree was hit twice by hailstorm in spring and had left some damages on it. As you can see, the big damage is on where the tree branches out. If leave alone, will the damage posts any health problem to the tree? Wishing I had seen how Puglvr hard pruned her mango tree then, I would have made the cut at the yellow line right after the storm. But now, should I leave it as is or prune below the damaged area?

If prune, my though was to cut at the red lines.

What do you think?

The ruler shows the height at soil level.

One more question, what cause the leaves to curl like that?

Comments (17)

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

I would leave it alone. It is branching nicely. The wounds will heal by themselves over time. As far as the curl to the leaves...that is very normal for many varities.....including Nam Doc Mai.

• jlgarden53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your quick response.
    That is what I am hoping for.
    Mark.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Tree looks great to me. I wouldn't do anything to it.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I second that. I would leave it, doesn't look that bad. Just think, if you leave it you may get fruit faster!

• jlgarden53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tree came with lot of buds on it this spring. They were all been broke off by the storm. All the young branches are this year's growths. No sign of flower buds yet.

• ajaysr5
    14 years ago

Did you get your nam doc mai from Nipa?....

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

i would leave it and probably re-asses it in the Spring, it should definitely heal.

Fairchild recommends three to four vertical horizontal branches, and then repeat for each flush at the end of each branch so you wouldnt be wrong either way imo.

good thing about mango trees they are not prune sensitive.

Here is a link that might be useful: fairchild pruning article

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

jlgarden,
    I know that my Cogshell suffered some damage this summer and I didn't know if it wasgoing to make it, and yes I also had a hail storm hit and my tree was outdoors. I did have torn leaves and no broken branches but I just got my first growth flush ever. Now that it is finally growing it seems like it is growing everywhere. My tree has had to be underlights now for a month and that is when my buds formed. I am sure if your tree is outdoors and in warmer climate it should pull thru just fine. I actually think once I figured out the watering(I never allow the rest of my trees to still have damp soil before rewatering, that was hard for me to get used to!), the mango trees are the easyist tropicals for me to grow! Good luck!
    Andrew

• sparky26803
    14 years ago

May I chime in.

If you want to see relatively large mango whacked.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/WhatsNews/#view=4

Select "Mango Blog" button,
    Then look for this blog, "Piura, Peru August 3, 2009"
    check out the pictures.

Regards,
    jk

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

my last post didnt make sense,

Fairchild recommends three to four horizontal branches..

you bring your tree indoors correct? what does that limit your height to?

that branch is the most vertical of the four

• jlgarden53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ajay,
    Yes it was from Nipa Hut, and what made think so? I got it through Ebay and seller was Nipa Hut.

Andrew,
    Before moving to TX 3 yrs ago, I lived in Z6 NY for almost 30 yrs. Always though that growing tropical fruit trees there was a mission impossible. Other than houseplants, I grew orchids, and lot of them (250+ plants). I can imagine how hard for you to care for those trees in Z6 winter. Growing in MG mix may need to learn some watering skill. My tree is in AlÂs gritty mix, I watered it every day during summer and the tree seems not to mind at all.

Sour,
    I pull the tree inside the garage only when temp drops below 40°, windy and/or rain. It is only a few days in winter. My though to prune the tree is because I want it to have some good growths next year so I can practice some grafting. You can see that this yearÂs growths are very short (about 2" long). I think it was because I left the tree on the concrete patio, under 100+° Texas sun. It had done nothing all summer.

• ajaysr5
    14 years ago

jlgarden,I was asking because that is were I got all my fruit trees from.This is my nam doc mai,I got from Nipa.It's much bigger now and vigorous,I will post tomorrow on how the tree look now.By the way great tree you have there.

summertime I got from Nipa.

• jlgarden53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ajay, That is a nice looking tree there. Mine came with lots of flower buds and healthy. I am very please with this seller. Is your tree grafted or air layered? Mine shows graft at the trunk but the root tells me it an air layered plant. That still puzzle me why Nipa did double work on it.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I am considering ordering from Nipa next spring but have not decided yet.

• ajaysr5
    14 years ago

jlgarden,mine is grafted.Here is a pic when I 1st got them out of the box.

Here is the pic of the trunk..really healthy

I have bought most of my trees from Nipa and they all come in nice and healthy.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

I ordered my lancetilla from Nipa. Tree came in looking nice. They were even nice enough to leave the PI label on it (they cut off the part of the label that say PI). Thought that was funny. I also ordered one of my cacao's from them. I was not as happy with that one. It was healthy but it came in quite a bit smaller than advertised.

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

alot of local nurseries do that with the tag around here as well.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions